Decisions! Decisions! What Boat to Buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mybeccca

Hi Y'all my name is rebecca and i am new on here. My partner and i have been looking for the right boat to buy for the last 6 months and ant seem to make a decision. Here is a little info about us and what were looking for.

We live on the West Coast in Vancouver,BC so we get a lot of rain out here. We will be using the boat as a live a board and/or some extended overnight cruising. The boat is for 2 adults and a cat and for 2 extra guest once in awhile if that. Are budget is like $70,000ish and we are looking to buy ASAP.

Looking for opinions of what boat to buy. Right now we have are eye on 1965 Grand Banks 42 Classic in Van. For $68,000 and
1977 Ocean Alexander - $65000 (Richmond, B.C.). Which one would you pick or Neither?

I would steer clear of the Grand Banks woodie. As a novice boat owner, you probably don't have the skill set to maintain wood.

If you prefer more cruising and less work, a wooden boat would not be 1st choice.

I would also look for a boat with solid glass decks and Pilot House .

One of the early Gulfstars might work .

+1 f f

What kind of boat do you have experience with?

sometimes wood can be a problem

Attachments

• 00A0A_dv3GzGaahCB_600x450.jpg
    00A0A_dv3GzGaahCB_600x450.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 130
Sometime fibreglass, steel and aluminum can also be a problem, but there many wooden boats in the lower end of the price spectrum that have sat unloved for far too long.

There are also a few good ones, where the previous owner has invested countless hours and dollars, but it takes a careful & patient buyer to choose the right one.

Is that GB woody the one at Grand Yachts? If so Robb Butler is a stand up guy and will treat you right.

As far as a wooden boat goes, Western BC and the Pacific Northwest are about the best place in the world to own a woody. The wooden fishing fleet around here keeps the craft alive and well. As has been said in previous posts get a good survey and make sure you have them pull a fastener or two, both for your sense of security and to satisfy the insurance company requirements.

Lots of opinions on wood vs fiberglass on here. With proper maintenance both will treat you well. I like a wooden Grand Banks more than anything else.

Bob

Told my boat would be ideal in the PNW if it had a built-in heater. Nevertheless, its newer. larger cousin, the 38-foot version, has that and much more. Has both-side access to bed in forward cabin for the owners, and washer/dryer and larger refrigerator; so targeted to liveaboards and extended cruisers. ... Their steel hulls are good protection from floating obstacles. ... Lot's of rain? Go for an enclosed helm position. Avoid open flybridges.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?man=Seahorse+COOT+38

It's twice my boat.

Last edited:
Told my boat would be ideal in the PNW if it had a built-in heater. Nevertheless, its newer. larger cousin, the 38-foot version, has that and much more. Has both-side access to bed in forward cabin for the owners, and washer/dryer and larger refrigerator; so targeted to liveaboards and extended cruisers. ... Their steel hulls are good protection from floating obstacles. ... Lot's of rain? Go for an enclosed helm position. Avoid open flybridges.

Seahorse COOT 38 Boats For Sale

It's twice my boat.

It's also approximately $540,000 Canadian or almost 10x the boats the OP is looking at.

"Told my boat would be ideal in the PNW if it had a built-in heater."

If you have a std 24 wide range cut out a Dickinson Pacific can easily run for 6 months if you have the diesel on board.

Sometime fibreglass, steel and aluminum can also be a problem, but there many wooden boats in the lower end of the price spectrum that have sat unloved for far too long.

There are also a few good ones, where the previous owner has invested countless hours and dollars, but it takes a careful & patient buyer to choose the right one.

...and a committed and either talented or rich new owner to maintain that condition.

Seahorse COOT 38 Boats For Sale

It's twice my boat.

We all love our boats and are partial, but whenever the topic of which boat, you always have the answer - yours. And our monthly reminder to not get an open flybridge.

"What boats have sold glass decks? I didn't think that was normally done."

In older low cost boats its usually US or Euro boats that are solid glass.

When resin prices went up 300% , the advanced builders started with cored construction. where WHAT ? was used for the core is key to maint.

We all love our boats and are partial, but whenever the topic of which boat, you always have the answer - yours. And our monthly reminder to not get an open flybridge.

Thank you for saying that. The coot's predictable comments (and others like him who spotlight their own vessel) do nothing to advance the conversation...The world is a bigger place than our own little wheelhouse.

Last edited:
Hello Rebecca, my name is Eldad and I live in New Jersey. I own a 1994 marine trader aft cabin with Diesel engine. Only 900 hours . Ac ,genarator , rear and bow trusters, refrigerator and new upholstery. She is in very good condition. If this something you would be interested in, you can email me : fivesails@aol. Com or call 2019145462

You do realize she lives on the west coast of Canada, right?

If you have a $70k budget, search in the $50k range: you will need a reserve fund on hand as you climb the learning curve of boat ownership. And boats of this age and thus in your price range will always need work of one kind or another, work you will not know how to do yourself.

I have a nice 1980 Hardin 42 sedan trawler in the Seattle,
A very nice set up for just 2 people
Would sell for 35K
Ed

The best advice to date came from Woodland Hills. What ever your budget you will need money beyond the purchase price for repairs, insurance and moorage/power.

No matter what else find a good surveyor and get any potential vessel surveyed. All older boats have problems that will need addressing. Some minor, some major. Mayor repairs identified by the surveyor need to be address in reducing the asking price or having repaired by the seller before you buy.

After your first "real" boat, you'll have a better idea what your workable ideal boat is.

If you have a $70k budget, search in the $50k range: you will need a reserve fund on hand as you climb the learning curve of boat ownership. And boats of this age and thus in your price range will always need work of one kind or another, work you will not know how to do yourself.

Common enough advice but one I generally disagree with. Mainly because if I have a $70k budget, I would be looking at boats at that price or a little above with the knowledge that I WILL be finding issues with boats in that price range and negotiating down. Unless they are in exceptional condition , 1970,s vintage boats advertised in that price range will sell much cheaper than the asking $.

"1970,s vintage boats advertised in that price range will sell much cheaper than the asking $. Unless they are in exceptional condition"

True for ANY boat , paint sells the boat.

Condition, Condition,Condition, will set the price , not age,

Back
Top Bottom