Same planet different world (superyacht)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We all love to look at the mega yacht that strays into our home waters.
Last summer I actually got aboard a bona-fide Megayacht. An eye opener for sure. like the OP stated "same planet - different world". Not a world guys like me are comfy in. To begin with, there were crew everywhere. Sure there were only 3 or 4 of them, but they were there just before you wanted them. The cook, sorry, "chef" had hor-douvres to pass around, the whole place was spotless, my tour, self guided at the invitation of the owner, whom I had met once, years ago, but really, he wouldn't have recalled, led me into the master stateroom, where his $50k watch was laying out on the dressing table! Different world for sure!
The boat itself was just big. To be big, successfully, it has to have huge power, great accommodations, lots of toys, easy to operate, seaworthy, etc. One of the neatest tricks was lighting up the water under the aft toy garage. The fish love the lights.

To see not one, but two Megas in Vancouver on a May weekend is a real treat!
Sorry Jim, Nova Spirit is always here, so doesn't register any more.

Last year we were anchored off Big Majors in the Exumas and a crew showed up with two beautiful diesel powered tenders and set up a full party on a deserted beach on the uninhabited island with every toy you could imagine. The main yacht was a 317 ft yacht named Vava2. Problem was it draws 16 ft so they could only get their 120 ft shadow boat into the anchorage. The 317 ft mother ship was anchored in deep water other side of the island in exuma sound. Same planet very different worlds

Last year we were anchored off Big Majors in the Exumas and a crew showed up with two beautiful diesel powered tenders and set up a full party on a deserted beach on the uninhabited island with every toy you could imagine. The main yacht was a 317 ft yacht named Vava2. Problem was it draws 16 ft so they could only get their 120 ft shadow boat into the anchorage. The 317 ft mother ship was anchored in deep water other side of the island in exuma sound. Same planet very different worlds

I know the boat and owner he is swiss yes but very Italian married to a brit

he comes from old money but is an amazing guy with and amazing story

The "owners" of any corp are the stock holders who loose nothing when management has a big toy that is a tax deduction . Taxpayers pay for the toy.

Well, that’s not exactly true, since no one (and no corporation) is in the 100% tax bracket. If a corporation is in the 20% tax bracket and the corporation spends $100,000 for operating the boat as a business, the shareholders/owners still bear $80,000 of that expense.

Plus, none of it is deductible unless the boat is legitimately used in a business to make a profit.

Kogo just anchored out front of our house yesterday.

A quick google search shows:
* 235'
* crew of 21
* #58 out of the world's largest 100 superyachts
* orginal owner Mansour Ojjeh of Mclaren Formula 1 team fame. Net worth $2.6 bn
* winner of some 2007 superyacht design competition. Video tours online

Probably as close as I will ever get to this sort of wealth. Just thinking about the maintenance makes me dizzy!

What’s interesting about this boat?
It’s just big.

What’s interesting about this boat?
It’s just big.

I agree, it's worthy of note only for it's size. or should I say it's cost as that is what seems to interest most of those who posted about her. Given how much money we as a society seem to be pushing upwards to those at the top of the income scale, we will be seeing and hearing a lot more topics like this in the years to come.

"Same planet, different world"

There are plenty of people that look at our boats and say the same thing. There are many different perspectives.

If the owner uses it just 14 nights per year, the interest can be deducted as a 2nd home.

If they charter it, there are probably more deductions associated with a rental property.

Boeing has a yacht, they write off 100% of it to marketing.

I don’t know much about tax laws, and even less about the world of Mega Yachts. If they are writing the cost and expense of that ship off , I would assume every time it leaves the dock there is a customer or potential customer aboard. Still sounds unusual to me for a publicly traded company.

"Boeing has a yacht, they write off 100% of it to marketing."

It must be working , when ever we travel by air I never chose an Air Bust .

I prefer an aircraft that can be actually flown by trained pilots ,

rather than by an electric system with a input suggestions from folks in a pretty uniform.

Apparently this is Boeing's yacht.

image_010.jpeg

The former Boeing yacht, Taconite, is presently anchored in Maple Bay. Looking very abandoned, run down, going green. Sad to see what was for 85 years a floating palace.
She was owned from 1987 to 2015 by Gordon Leavitt, who chartered her in BC and Alaskan waters. With her twin Atlas direct reversing engines, she was always a wonder to watch while maneuvering. A low rpm she would pop donuts of thin smoke out her stacks. When off Steward Duty, her crew would keep the varnish fresh and the brass polished. Lots of each aboard.

Last edited:
Boeing has a yacht, they write off 100% of it to marketing.

Is this the same yacht that has been owned by a Canadian the past 30 years that "Boeing writes off 100% for tax purposes", or is there a different one the corporation owns that you are referring to?

Attachments

• BA.jpg
    BA.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom