Lake Superior getting going

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDofMSP

Guru
Vessel Name
Gopher Broke
Vessel Make
Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
It's not 55' but I sure am glad I'm not out in my cruising grounds today.
The buoy in Lake Superior north of Munising, MI recorded a 28.8 foot wave at 9:30 a.m. this morning. A 74 mph wind gust was reported at the Granite Island buoy.

Beautiful pictures. That's a dangerous thing he's doing. USCG just suspended their search for two people swept into the lake while looking at the waves.

Enjoyed Lake Superior for 6 weeks this summer. Wonderful place to cruise, but not very forgiving the rest of the year. Had a good time in Bayfield and the Apostle Islands.

Ted

It's not 55' but I sure am glad I'm not out in my cruising grounds today.
The buoy in Lake Superior north of Munising, MI recorded a 28.8 foot wave at 9:30 a.m. this morning. A 74 mph wind gust was reported at the Granite Island buoy.

That is when people stay off Lake Superior. Will be moving our "new" 1987 GR32 from Bayfield to Mackinaw City this June. Hoping to find weather windows with less than 2.88 foot waves!

Enjoyed Lake Superior for 6 weeks this summer. Wonderful place to cruise, but not very forgiving the rest of the year. Had a good time in Bayfield and the Apostle Islands.

Ted[/QUOT

Some time ago, you might have given me a track of where you stopped, etc. on your LakeSuperior trip. If so, thanks. We are hopefully leaving Bayfield on the 15th with our newly purchased GB32 heading for Mackinaw City. I got the cruising guide Superior Way and find it very detailed and helpful. Just got all the paper charts for the route and have a new GPS for the trip. Will have to keep moving and get to Mackinaw expeditiously but not recklessly so we will not be able to stop long in the places you stopped and enjoyed. Perry.

Congratulations on your new boat! Enjoy your trip. Stay near the shoreline as there's lot's of interesting land and wildlife to see. Before you leave, check the lake water level. In preceding years the lake was down as much as a foot due to evaporation and low rain fall. Last year it was up almost a foot. This will be important in a few of the shallower harbors such as the Black River and Whitefish Point state dock.

Ted

Superior is nearing record high levels this year. 6 inches over average right now and is expected to rise another 3 in the next 30 days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom