Basic Active Captain not coming up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogerh

Guru
Vessel Name
At Last
Vessel Make
1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
This morning I tried to bring up the web based active captain on my computer. It does not come up. I know there were some issues with it working with certain SW but I am just trying to bring up the basic web active captain. Anyone seeing this problem?

Same here, this message is on the screen when I try the site I have used for years.
"The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

Thanks so much!

The new site is pretty nice. I like the changes.

The old one redirects apparently based on the mood it's in and based on what browser you're using. During the past two days, the new one has gradually come up. Some areas still missing. Don't see any of the routing or mileage or other right click functions. It doesn't remember your last area. The search doesn't search by locations just by items. The layout of marina information is less useful I think. The default to satellite view is annoying.

Seems a lot of emphasis on mobile and not so much on the website.

I wonder to what extent the missing data is a result of Garmin purging plagiarized info and reviews. They have a lot more to lose than Jeff ever did, and are much more likely to get challenged by copyright holders.

I wonder to what extent the missing data is a result of Garmin purging plagiarized info and reviews. They have a lot more to lose than Jeff ever did, and are much more likely to get challenged by copyright holders.

I don't think any of it. Just the way they're reloading information. Then who knows what functionality they're have. It appears to me they've retained data well but everything is primarily all new code. First, they moved away from Flash and then they complied with the new regulations. Still to be determined is what functionality they replicated. Missing data has simply been areas of the map gradually loading. For instance, at the outset of the new AC, there were no markers in New England and north of that area. Over the course of a day, they showed up.

I can't tell content has been changed at all, although give me a couple of the plagiarized locations if you remember and I'll look at them. Guess I could pull up the old threads, but in my mind, Jeffrey is long gone and worrying about him is no longer necessary. He built something unique, capitalized, now it's a new day.

First, they moved away from Flash and then they complied with the new regulations.

I was excited to hear about no more Flash and the emphasis (reported by another poster) on mobile. I was hoping that the new website would work with tablets. Alas not so, at least for now.

The satellite and road view works with my iPad but the NOAA maps does not. Hopefully soon.

David

I was excited to hear about no more Flash and the emphasis (reported by another poster) on mobile. I was hoping that the new website would work with tablets. Alas not so, at least for now.

The satellite and road view works with my iPad but the NOAA maps does not. Hopefully soon.

David

We have no problem getting the NOAA maps, but the moment you zoom in close enough to get the markers, you lose them and have to zoom back out to get the NOAA again.

The new site is working great on my laptop and iPhone 6. But, like you said, no NOAA maps on my iPhone.

This is just the first iteration of the new site. More features and more data will roll out soon. Let’s be patient.

Well, sooner than I expected. NOAA charts now works on my iPad. That is a big change from the old AC site. Hopefully all of the old functionality will come back over time.

David

It's like a tease. I don't understand why it all couldn't have been brought up working at one time.

Well, sooner than I expected. NOAA charts now works on my iPad. That is a big change from the old AC site. Hopefully all of the old functionality will come back over time.

David

NOAA charts still not working on the iPhone.

I just tried it on a laptop and Android phone.

Overall impression: Very nice! Everything worked, and I was able to log on with my "old" ActiveCaptain account. I did select the option in my profile to allow sharing, I suppose the new European privacy rules are to blame (just like on so many sites.)

No Flash! That's long overdue!

Good, clean interface. Good filtering ability on markers. Good performance.

So far only two fairly minor beefs. (1) No way to sort by fuel,mooring or slip prices, and (2) you have to zoom in pretty close to get markers to pop up.

I like to see anything that's within a given radius, maybe 10-20 miles, of some hypothetical stopping point. I'd rather not have to zoom in to the 1-mile scale and have to scroll 20 times in each direction.

Still, it's good to finally see progress!

... Jeffrey is long gone and worrying about him is no longer necessary. He built something unique, capitalized, now it's a new day.

:thumb: A friend forwarded this to us from what he said was on Jeff’s Facebook dated May 10th.

Our year with Garmin ended today. We're now free, unemployed, and intend to keep it that way!

:thumb: A friend forwarded this to us from what he said was on Jeff’s Facebook dated May 10th.

Our year with Garmin ended today. We're now free, unemployed, and intend to keep it that way!

That is great news for Jeffrey. I hope he can relax and enjoy his boat more now.

That is great news for Jeffrey. I hope he can relax and enjoy his boat more now.

That contract year post-sale is a difficult environment sometimes as you give up control of your company, your creation. Gradually less work but less input too. Hopefully he can enjoy cruising and never look back.

I have not been able to see a NOAA chart on Active Captain since the changes were made, not on my Mac at least. Log on, land somewhere in Kansas, well known for its boating by the way, and can switch between road map and satellite. For grins, I logged on from my office windows computer, and there it was, a big beautiful ocean with soundings. I wonder what gives.

In the early years of small computers, stuff like that was called an "undocumented feature".

I have not been able to see a NOAA chart on Active Captain since the changes were made, not on my Mac at least. Log on, land somewhere in Kansas, well known for its boating by the way, and can switch between road map and satellite. For grins, I logged on from my office windows computer, and there it was, a big beautiful ocean with soundings. I wonder what gives.

Hang in there. Garmin is implementing the website piece by piece. First Windows and maybe later Mac. Just be glad the new website doesn't use Flash which finally allows its use with iOS and Android tablets

I have noticed new features on the Garmin website appear every week or so. First I see them on Windows then a week later on iOS. The Kansas startup was replaced with the whole US a few weeks ago and iOS soon thereafter. iOS even remembers your last location, something that hasn't made it to Windows yet.

David

Hang in there. Garmin is implementing the website piece by piece. First Windows and maybe later Mac. Just be glad the new website doesn't use Flash which finally allows its use with iOS and Android tablets

I have noticed new features on the Garmin website appear every week or so. First I see them on Windows then a week later on iOS. The Kansas startup was replaced with the whole US a few weeks ago and iOS soon thereafter. iOS even remembers your last location, something that hasn't made it to Windows yet.

David

What a sloppy way of doing things instead of getting the software ready, testing it, and implementing it with all parts functioning.

I just visited the new site and it is nicely done. I was able to read all the reviews and comments. I dont have any account with them, so what am i missing chart integration?

I just visited the new site and it is nicely done. I was able to read all the reviews and comments. I dont have any account with them, so what am i missing chart integration?

To the best of my knowledge, here is what you're missing.

Functionality vs. the old system, you're missing the fuel prices pages and you're missing the ability to save routes in Active Captain.

Annoyances and lack of completion, when you enter the system on the web it use to remember your last location. Now it doesn't.

There apparently are iSystem issues with pulling up the NOAA charts. On the web, as you zoom in you lose the charts sooner than before.

Locations have loaded at different times. The systerm was not brought live having all the same information as before. Day to day a little more appeared.

Ecards is gone, but don't think anyone other than Jeffrey cared.

Here's one that changed recently too. I liked that when you pulled up a marina, a new tab was created and across the top were tabs for each section of information. If you wanted dockage you went straight there. Now, it pulls all this on the left side of the screen, shrinking your usable area and you have to scroll through all the information to get to the part you want. This hurts usability.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom