40' Kha Shing seaworthyness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marklv

I have a Kha Shing 40 and have spent little time with'er offshore. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has knowledge or experience with these boats in rough water. Thanks!

Greetings,
Mr. v. Welcome aboard. Seaworthy is about as vague as a word can get. A log used to cross a creek can be considered seaworthy. Pick your weather VERY carefully whilst aboard ANY vessel. IF caught out, hold on tight and do a better job next time. No criticism meant or inferred...

Greetings,
Mr. v. Welcome aboard. Seaworthy is about as vague as a word can get. A log used to cross a creek can be considered seaworthy. Pick your weather VERY carefully whilst aboard ANY vessel. IF caught out, hold on tight and do a better job next time. No criticism meant or inferred...

As always, RT- well said.

Our PT was built in the Kha Shing yards. It arrived stateside in 1989 and, after commissioning, made its way from Seattle to Long Beach, CA on its own bottom.

5 years later, the 2nd owner brought her back to Seattle from Southern California- again under her own power. The boat has been as far north as SE AK.

We've put nearly 1000 hours on her since purchase in 2012. While we have had challenges expected of a vessel as she ages, I'd not hesitate to take this boat anywhere coastal cruising.

seaworthy?

What I'm getting at, however clumsily, is this...if I get in a 10-12 foot sea am I likely to get knocked over. I understand trying to avoid it, I understand broadside waves, I get that hitting them at a 45 is optimal. I'd like to hear from anyone who has been in heavy seas in a boat like this and what their experience was.

What I'm getting at, however clumsily, is this...if I get in a 10-12 foot sea am I likely to get knocked over. I understand trying to avoid it, I understand broadside waves, I get that hitting them at a 45 is optimal. I'd like to hear from anyone who has been in heavy seas in a boat like this and what their experience was.

We've been in some nasty stuff in the Straits of Georgia- unsecured stuff flew around, and the family was less than happy....but the boat did just fine.

The sea condition is dependent on the interval between swells - we've cruised in big seas with long intervals wavetop to wavetop, and bene beaten up in 6 foot seas with short intervals.

Ours was not designed for true passagemaking (windows, doors, etc) so we cruise with that aspect always in mind.

I absolutely agree with Peter's assessment. The Kha Shing 40 is a heavy vessel with moderate freeboard and 3/4 keel. She is not designed to be a passage maker in any sense of the word; however, for coastal crusing she is more than adequate. Like any motoryacht she does not lime a steep beam sea and is uncomfortable/unwieldy in these conditions. On the bow and quarter bow she's easily managed. I recently posted a Youtube video in which we experiences 40kt winds in SF bay with steep 3 foot chop. You can tell she was stable and in control.

You do not want to be out in a 10 to 12’ wind driven beam sea in any coastal cruiser.

Actually 10 to 12’ wind driven seas at any angle are a zero fun experience. Something that you will quickly learn not to do again.

I do not know anything about your specific boat. What I do have is a bunch of years of open ocean experience in a variety of Coastal Cruisers. Watch your wind forecast, and verify that forecast against actual bouy reports and you’ll be fine.

I totally agree and cannot imagine taking out a coastal cruiser of this design in conditions like that. In Northern California outside of the Gate we frequently get 6-7 foot rollers with a period of 11-13 seconds and that is relatively comfortable. However, when the forecast shows 6-7 foot waves with a short interval I'm not going outside of the Gate.

Hi. I am about to purchase a Kha Shing with twin cats 210HP n.a. What can you tell me about the boats and the engines? Greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi. I am about to purchase a Kha Shing with twin cats 210HP n.a. What can you tell me about the boats and the engines? Greatly appreciated. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom