Old 05-25-2018, 12:41 AM   #16
koliver
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
CC v Tolly
Interesting comparison.
Neither has been built in quite a while. More Tolly builds, than Canoe Coves. Similar, but different. Brand loyalty among their owners.
But. They are very different boats.
I have had the good fortune to get aboard a lot of boats, in my capacity as CCGA and more recently only RVYC Safety Inspector. Many of each.
I like the layouts of each. I prefer the fit and finish of the Canoe Coves, and their reliance on diesel power. Then along comes a Tolly that surpasses he rest with classy fit and finish, proving they can do so.
I wouldn't choose a V drive, unless I found a CC that otherwise was the boat I wanted. Some say the V drive allows the engines to be located out back, "where they belong". Problem is the shaft angle is steep.
Few Canadian builders survived the slump of the early 90s. That is when Canoe Cove went under, after building a slew of 41, 42, 48 and 53s, plus some very fancy larger boats, including some in the 70s. Any that are newer, are a different Co. and I know nothing about them.
Tollys were built in Washington, so didn't fail when the Cdn $ slumped, but still went out of production.
Hard to do a head to head comparison, as they are quite different. There is nothing about either that should cause you to write them off.
Good luck in the hunt.