How Slow Can You Go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My slowest speed is

• 3 to 4 knots

Votes: 39 49.4%
  • 4 to 4.5 knots

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • 4.5 to 5 knots

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • 5 to 5.5 knots

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 5.5 to 6 knots

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 to 6.5 knots

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 6.5 to 7 knots

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • 7 to 7.5 knots

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7.5 to 8 knots

• 8 knots or more

• Total voters
I am going to find out this weekend. anyone know what the minimum sustained rpm a leman 135 should be ran at? i don't want to cause excessive ware

Wifey B: Ok, call this a huge education of Wifey B. I'm shocked at the results showing half can go at under 4 knots, 2/3 at under 4.5 knots, 3/4 at under 5 knots and 5/6 at under 5.5 knots. :eek:

That's almost walking speed. Is hubby's walking speed if I didn't hold him back and mine is almost as bad if others don't slow me down.

I was just blissfully ignorant that one could go and maintain course at those speeds. Thanks for sharing. :)

Now, curious as to speed my car will go in gear with foot not on gas. :confused:

Wifey B: Ok, call this a huge education of Wifey B. I'm shocked at the results showing half can go at under 4 knots, 2/3 at under 4.5 knots, 3/4 at under 5 knots and 5/6 at under 5.5 knots. :eek:

That's almost walking speed. Is hubby's walking speed if I didn't hold him back and mine is almost as bad if others don't slow me down.

I was just blissfully ignorant that one could go and maintain course at those speeds. Thanks for sharing. :)

Now, curious as to speed my car will go in gear with foot not on gas. :confused:
3.5 k at idle. Maneuverability very marginal due to small rudders and planing hull. Maneuvering to dock relies solely on differential thrust. Start to get usable rudder authority @ 4-5 k.

Ah! Now I get it Wifey B. I never could get why you and Hubby were hanging out with a bunch of slow moving trawler folks instead of the fast crowd. You just didn’t know how slow we really are (and want to be).

Blue Sky idles at just a tick over 4 knots. However, with the trolling valve engaged I can vary the speed between 0 and 4 knots. But only for fishing; never a good idea to use it while docking.

Heck, if you like really slow......

Many times towing strange shaped objects, I was happy to make a knot. :D

Guess outboards are slower at idle or something.
Probably has something to do with the OB props at idle running at 13% or so of max design speed (assuming 800 rpm idle and 6000 rpm rated) vs the diesel running somewhere around 25% of rated at idle. Input power goes up roughly as the cube of the prop speed (if the affinity laws hold for boat props, which I think they do), so a small, slow OB prop won't be drawing/delivering much power compared to its design parameters, either. Or so it seems like from here.

Today at 1800 RPM we saw 2.4 Knots a few times, but 5 hrs to go 24 miles and safely tied up at Beacon Rock just below Bonneville Dam.

Ah! Now I get it Wifey B. I never could get why you and Hubby were hanging out with a bunch of slow moving trawler folks instead of the fast crowd. You just didn’t know how slow we really are (and want to be).

Wifey B: Oh, I know how slow some of you are. :rofl: I could make lots of bad jokes here but resisting because as a teacher, I love and nurture those who are slower and don't disparage them.

Thing is, even though you do it slowly, people here do actually cruise and explore and see new places. Typically there are people here cruising in most parts of the world. We love exploring the world by water. This leg is over and we fly home tomorrow for three weeks, but then back and the next leg is Nova Scotia and beyond, more places I've never been. We cruise like the rest of you, just do it faster than some do. :)

Probably has something to do with the OB props at idle running at 13% or so of max design speed (assuming 800 rpm idle and 6000 rpm rated) vs the diesel running somewhere around 25% of rated at idle. Input power goes up roughly as the cube of the prop speed (if the affinity laws hold for boat props, which I think they do), so a small, slow OB prop won't be drawing/delivering much power compared to its design parameters, either. Or so it seems like from here.

Wifey B: That makes sense I guess. Also explains why our slow is faster than other slows. I don't know the science but taking my baby boat that runs 40 knots, then idle around 700 RPM which is just over 30% of max RPM and about 10% load but that's still 160 hp and even that on a planing boat is going to push it.

Now the CC at 600 RPM is at 10% of max RPM and at about 2.5% load but I'll use 3% because I'm math lazy and that's only about 27 hp.

Now, if a KK 39 at 600 RPM is at 22% of max RPM and at about 5% load so using about 36 hp.

It all makes sense (confession-I had someone check my numbers above) and my only surprise now is boats tracking so slow but then bigger rudders too. Oh, the CC won't track worth diddly at that speed.

Wifey B: Faster, but no sportfishing boats. We have a friend with a Viking with trolling gears though and we've been on Bertrams and Hatteras' with them. My fave boat is my Baby Riva and it's built for speed, not trolling. :D

You seem to have dodged the question!!:rolleyes:

At 600 RPMs my speed is 4.5 knts, I too find that 1000 RPMs is better for keeping the turbos clean. Top end is 2530 RPMs and 19.5 knts loaded but I’m burning 66.5 gph.

I could be wrong, but is it not because they're in a witness protection program that they can't divulge much information?

Wifey B: But, if true, that's one we sure wouldn't divulge now would we? Maybe we're in the CIA? I'd say FBI but they're too controversial right now. Although must say my dealings with them were always great. :rofl:

Or could it just be that since our boats don't fit in here, no reason to divulge. I could talk about my Baby Riva. It's 44' and WOT is 42 knots, with cruise of 35-37 knots. But then not really very relevant or of interest to this forum. Maybe just we prefer to not talk about them. Who knows? Only the Shadow or your Hairdresser. Which is it? Now, I'm confused. What was the topic again? Oh, Witsec. Very good organization. :confused:

I could be wrong, but is it not because they're in a witness protection program that they can't divulge much information?

Or she is one of many that likes to chat online but doesn’t want to broadcast a lot of personal info. Doesn’t affect the conversation. I’m not big on posting my entire life online either. You know they have a Riva and a cruising boat and like to travel and talk about boats. That should be enough.

Are you telling me their are members who won’t divulge their back account number or credit card. Oh say it isn’t so!

Are you telling me their are members who won’t divulge their back account number or credit card. Oh say it isn’t so!

Wifey B: Glad you gave me your card number before you knew that. :rofl:

Wifey B: Or maybe want to make you wait to buy the book or see the movie? :whistling:

Hate to shock and disappoint but there are members here who know quite a bit about us and our boats but didn't learn it posted in an open forum. Speaking of.....I miss Oliver here.....Gotta email that boy right now and find out how he's doing.

Also, have met some from here who have no idea that they were meeting BandB and still don't know. For instance, when Parks owned Hopcar, we shopped there but didn't announce who we were. He was very nice too. And a couple at marinas. You never know.

Last edited:
As most of the boats are used inshore or along shore few have their GPS in knots.

The inshore charts are in statute miles , as are most GPS.

Statute miles make better bragging rights , "8" as a cruising speed sounds better than "7" ,, "7" sounds better than "6".

Maybe its a regional thing, but I can’t remember the last time I saw a saltwater boat around here that was set up to read statute miles or mph on gps/chart plotter or other electronics.

Maybe its a regional thing, but I can’t remember the last time I saw a saltwater boat around here that was set up to read statute miles or mph on gps/chart plotter or other electronics.

Maybe it is more an inland thing. While driving a car I think in mpg and mph. While on the water I think in nm and knots exclusively. Rather than consider fuel burn in nm/g, I think in terms of gph.

We idle at 3 knots. Idling doesn't keep the engine lubricants warm enough, however. Thus, for extended periods, the minimum speed is 5.5 knots, about a half-knot less than cruising speed and 2 knots below maximum boat speed. Three-knot minimum speed is too fast while docking, so much of the time will be coasting in the fairway except when making a sharp turn.

Same with the Krogen 42. Major difference Bay Pelican has a wing engine which at full cruise only does 4 kts, so doing 2kts in a marina or anchorage is possible, and has been done many times.

With the main I approached a dock or an anchoring spot switching from idle to neutral as needed to keep the speed down.

Wifey B: But, if true, that's one we sure wouldn't divulge now would we? Maybe we're in the CIA? I'd say FBI but they're too controversial right now. Although must say my dealings with them were always great. :rofl:

Or could it just be that since our boats don't fit in here, no reason to divulge. I could talk about my Baby Riva. It's 44' and WOT is 42 knots, with cruise of 35-37 knots. But then not really very relevant or of interest to this forum. Maybe just we prefer to not talk about them. Who knows? Only the Shadow or your Hairdresser. Which is it? Now, I'm confused. What was the topic again? Oh, Witsec. Very good organization. :confused:

I guess I remembered wrong. My bad. I thought you mentioned witness protection in the past but I went back to our exchange from years ago when others and I suspected trolling, I saw that you didn't. I guess I had witness protection in my head after reading your post below. BTW, I mentioned it again for newer members to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Who wouldn't? They're my TF idols. They own a large yacht and looking for another one for $4M so they can have one for each coast, they are young but retired and semi retired, they cruise most of their time, WifeyB wears revealing clothing and they have plenty of sex. They're living the life that I dream of.

I wish I could meet them. But for now, a picture of them and their yacht would be wonderful.

Wifey B: Omg....you can wear revealing clothing and have plenty of sex too....hehe...

We do sort of live a dream life but we've lived the bad type lives too. We're very thankful for all we have and do know we're lucky. Just hope we use our good fortune in some positive ways. Long before we were where we are now though, we found happiness and that was with no yachts, not a lot of money. And as to photos, there are none of us due to some restrictions past events placed on us. That's a sacrifice we had to make. We've had to maintain very private lives and even being on forums has been a bold step outside.

Ooops....I better get dressed. We're about 30 minutes from land and docking.

Telling our friend/family/guest that she better get dressed too....she made a pouty face.

Last edited:
I guess I remembered wrong. My bad. I thought you mentioned witness protection in the past but I went back to our exchange from years ago when others and I suspected trolling, I saw that you didn't. I guess I had witness protection in my head after reading your post below. BTW, I mentioned it again for newer members to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Who wouldn't? They're my TF idols. They own a large yacht and looking for another one for $4M so they can have one for each coast, they are young but retired and semi retired, they cruise most of their time, WifeyB wears revealing clothing and they have plenty of sex. They're living the life that I dream of.

I wish I could meet them. But for now, a picture of them and their yacht would be wonderful.

Wifey B: Omg....you can wear revealing clothing and have plenty of sex too....hehe...

We do sort of live a dream life but we've lived the bad type lives too. We're very thankful for all we have and do know we're lucky. Just hope we use our good fortune in some positive ways. Long before we were where we are now though, we found happiness and that was with no yachts, not a lot of money. And as to photos, there are none of us due to some restrictions past events placed on us. That's a sacrifice we had to make. We've had to maintain very private lives and even being on forums has been a bold step outside.

Ooops....I better get dressed. We're about 30 minutes from land and docking.

Telling our friend/family/guest that she better get dressed too....she made a pouty face.

To Be Continued... ??? !!! :dance: :D :lol:

Wifey B: Your obsession is unhealthy. :eek:

And your memory convoluted, out of context, and wrong.

Perhaps best to stick to the current topic.

No obsession here at all, just suspicion. And my memory is just fine.

Reactions: Art
Or some just make up **** to fit their fantasizes. I know a small amount about you guys and all of it favorable, the good deeds you do is admirable. The fact that you have nice boats and a great lifestyle is nothing to apologize for. Now the revealing clothing and sex........ LMAO

Or some just make up **** to fit their fantasizes. I know a small amount about you guys and all of it favorable, the good deeds you do is admirable. The fact that you have nice boats and a great lifestyle is nothing to apologize for. Now the revealing clothing and sex........ LMAO

Wifey B: While I thank you for the kind words, we're not here to make this or anything about us. I also thank all those who participated in my poll. I know many don't like polls and I haven't done one in a long time, but I learn from them and sure did from this one. Sure no boating here this weekend. Hope everyone on the gulf coast is storm ready. :eek:

At 600 RPMs my speed is 4.5 knts, I too find that 1000 RPMs is better for keeping the turbos clean. Top end is 2530 RPMs and 19.5 knts loaded but I’m burning 66.5 gph.

So you lied about following me with one engine out of gear and the other in and out. I think this calls for a payback, and you know which Canadian I'm sending to settle the score. :rolleyes:

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom