Garmin and Active Captain Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
All,

I'm using Garmin Blue Chart with Active Captain, soon to switch over to Garmin Active Captain.

Question:
How can I save routes I've created to load them later? (just have too many in the app and hard to control and find them).

Also, can I assume that creating routes on the Ipad, Iphone and the computer app can all be saved and reloaded in any of the three?

Second, would be the same, but saving waypoints.

Thanks.

Garmin is planning a massive change to its Active Captain website due to European privacy rules that start in a week or so. So we can't say what the new website will do or not do.

I am not hopeful about route loading and downloading to/from other nav apps.

David

Garmin is planning a massive change to its Active Captain website due to European privacy rules that start in a week or so. So we can't say what the new website will do or not do.

I am not hopeful about route loading and downloading to/from other nav apps.

David

Interesting, Im surprised if the European privacy would (or should) affect Garmin in the US. With the volume of business they do, they could easily set up two web sites.

I just paid for a new chart subscription from them and hope they don't screw that up for the second time. The first was with BlueChart which wouldn't upgrade since they discontinued it.... and, of course, no refund!

And I'm not interested in uploading or downloading routes to other apps... just saving them on a hard drive.

The answer sadly is “It depends”. The chartplotter should sync with the iPad and your routes and waypoints transfer. I have a new 5612 CP and new iPad Pro and whilst they sync with one another I cannot upload routes. Countless hours with Garmin Support have proven to be fruitless. The only way to do it is to email the files to
yourself, put them on an SD card (less than 32 GB in size) and load them onto the CP. The CP will sync with the iPad then but it is a work around. The days of sharing routes is currently on hold unless you want to do the work around above.
Having said that some folks have no trouble but Garmin know there is an issue but haven’t as yet found a solution.
It sounds like your routes would be best saved to an SD card and perhaps email yourself and keep them there too.
I just hope Garmin resolve this and some other quirks with the changes they are making so I can have confidence in their system. I have added AquaMaps HD to my iPad and imported the routes and waypoints to that as a working backup too. Worked seamlessly!

The answer sadly is “It depends”. The chartplotter should sync with the iPad and your routes and waypoints transfer. I have a new 5612 CP and new iPad Pro and whilst they sync with one another I cannot upload routes. Countless hours with Garmin Support have proven to be fruitless. The only way to do it is to email the files to
yourself, put them on an SD card (less than 32 GB in size) and load them onto the CP. The CP will sync with the iPad then but it is a work around. The days of sharing routes is currently on hold unless you want to do the work around above.
Having said that some folks have no trouble but Garmin know there is an issue but haven’t as yet found a solution.
It sounds like your routes would be best saved to an SD card and perhaps email yourself and keep them there too.
I just hope Garmin resolve this and some other quirks with the changes they are making so I can have confidence in their system. I have added AquaMaps HD to my iPad and imported the routes and waypoints to that as a working backup too. Worked seamlessly!

Paul,

That's exactly what I want to do! But how is it done? I can't figure out how to save anything from an Ipad. In the Garmin Blue Chart, on the Routes, there is an option to email, but it emails a picture of the route, not the waypoints, so can't reload it later. Help?

Last edited:
From starting in blue chart go to settings/my content/ email all my content as GMX files

That should create an email with a file attachment with all your goodies in.

Hope that works for you.

I’m done with Garmin Blue Charts. They make using their products difficult at best when it comes to up grades and software changes. Another TF posted Aqua Map app as an alternative. Integrates with Active Captain seamlessly. Best $19.99 I ever spent. Love the app.

I poked about with slowish internet, very few markers so far,I’d imagine it’s a big data base to move, only one marina in Fort Myers...

I poked about with slowish internet, very few markers so far,I’d imagine it’s a big data base to move, only one marina in Fort Myers...

Yes, it appears to be showing up a little at a time. No functionality yet to speak of.

You can export all your gpx files to an email and save the file to an SD card. You can then pick and choose which files you want to transfer. With the changes currently under war with the web sites and apps it may be prudent to do this before any of the current upgrades being requested by Garmin.

I’m done with Garmin Blue Charts. They make using their products difficult at best when it comes to up grades and software changes. Another TF posted Aqua Map app as an alternative. Integrates with Active Captain seamlessly. Best $19.99 I ever spent. Love the app.
Can you give us more info on the 19.99 package? I am a bit new to this. But I am getting ready to upgrade a unit.

Garmin opened their new online Active Captain website today.
https://activecaptain.garmin.com

A couple of suggestions for Garmin:

Remember your last position and open there- easy to do with cookies

Remember filter settings

Open the map in road map form, not a satellite image of farmland in the middle of the country. The way they do it now is pretty silly for a navigation app.

David

Last edited:
A couple of suggestions for Garmin:

Remember your last position and open there- easy to do with cookies

Remember filter settings

Open the map in road map form, not a satellite image of farmland in the middle of the country. The way they do it now is pretty silly for a navigation app.

David

Also, as of this moment, none of the former function you got by right clicking is available that I can tell. Maybe it will magically show up today.

It appears the fuel pages are gone as well. Also, the way you pull up information on a marina and what you see or get. Hope this isn't the final product.

hopefully early bugs but I can't get out of satellite mode

I just looked at the Bahamas. No information whatsoever. I hope they get it added and make it usaeable. Not a Garmin fan so I’m not going to hold my breath.

hopefully early bugs but I can't get out of satellite mode

Click on the stacked pages icon in the upper right of the satellite image. That gives you the choice between satellite, road and NOAA chart images.

David

tried that David, chart icon lights up but sat image remains. tried logging off and back on, no joy. could be they're telling me I don't belong on the water?

Interesting, Im surprised if the European privacy would (or should) affect Garmin in the US. With the volume of business they do, they could easily set up two web sites.

Web Servers themselves are easily distributed. It's the logic, function, and flow of the application on the back end and the Database systems. This is not a simple set of directories and files like a basic web site.

What you're proposing would be very, very expensive to develop and maintain.

tried that David, chart icon lights up but sat image remains. tried logging off and back on, no joy. could be they're telling me I don't belong on the water?

Try zooming in and out using the +/- signs. If you are in too far you will see the satellite view. Zoom out and you will see the chart view if that is what you requested. Howard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom