Wow. These slimeballs are good! (Documentation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Long

Vessel Name
Gypsy Star
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
Even though it has been discussed here and I am well aware of the issue, I got all the way to entering my credit card for COD renewal before noticing in the fine print of a check box that I was paying a private service company not affiliated with the U.S. government.

They purchased the top Google spot when you search for "vessel documentation center" and their site looks just like a slightly revamped and improved NVCD page. They even come up first if you google "NVDC".

Be sure you go directly to:

National Vessel Documentation Center

and don't use Google as a shortcut to find it.

I received their "Notification" in the mail because my renewal is indeed coming due.

The letter has changed quite a bit from the original, and is now quite clear that they are a third party service provider. Clearly all the complaints have had a positive effect in cleaning up the worst of the deception, at least in the mail where there are actual laws about such things.

Here are some excerpts from the letter:

The title is "Vessel Renewal Courtesy Notice"

"This is a courtesy notice only. Marine Documentation Center, a private firm, has assisted thousands of boat owners in applying for and obtaining US Coast Guard Certificates of Documentation as well as other documentation"

"You may use our services to renew your USCG registration...."

"Use of our process requires payment of a service fee in addition to the government required application fee"

"Notice of obligation; this is not an invoice. You are under no obligation to utilize our firm's service."

At this point, I'd say this is no worse than then constant deluge of warranty expiration notices I get for our cars from third party companies trying to sell me a service contract on the car, or a service contract on my furnace, or whatever other stuff they are peddling.

Here is the screen shot of a Google search for "NVDC". All the first entries are them. I knew the real NVDC recently revamped its web site and address so it was a bit easier to be taken in.

24296425_10208168519131141_2128819680745254923_n.jpg

Here is the screen shot of a Google search for "NVDC". All the first entries are them. I knew the real NVDC recently revamped its web site and address so it was a bit easier to be taken in.

24296425_10208168519131141_2128819680745254923_n.jpg

Yes, the first three all clearly showing they are ads. The real NVDC doesn't place ads. Also, the fourth one, the real one, with an address .mil

There are millions of advertiser tricksters out there in every area and one must be alert to it at all times. Read carefully. Look carefully where you're headed.

Keep in mind the very high percentages of boat owners who just don't care, spend more than this when they stop at Starbucks.

Combined with the fact that most people just don't read anymore.

They're raking it in!

Read carefully. Look carefully where you're headed.

And never do anything as important as a COD renewal while having your first sips of coffee.

And never do anything as important as a COD renewal while having your first sips of coffee.

Well, not a coffee drinker but there is something to be said about time of day and condition when conducting business transactions. Never do any of them after starting evening drinks either.

Handle all my CG doc paperwork myself soup to nuts ....call first get confirm then seek guidance ..works 100 percent time ...avoid phoney baloney folks ...can't be lazy get with it and think !

I went to the site and committed on their live chat. I asked why do I want to pay you when I can go directly to the USCG to renew? Response: Live Chat is currently down. Please visit later......

Not really related to the thread but since this Documentation company keeps popping up:
As an FYI, there’s a lot of effort required to keep your company’s website at the top of any search engine results. Constant monitoring - usually by a paid 3rd party - managing & predicting our “keywords” that could match the content of their website. Basically it’s not always about paying $ directly to Google, Bing, etc. although that’s available. When companies do pay, a little “AD” icon shows up next to the website result so you know. (Thats big bucks, BTW.)
In fact Google is pretty good about monitoring websites and making sure they aren’t playing games with their search words. (Such as using a competitor’s name as one of their search word triggers)

I guess the private Documentation company is spending a lot of money on this one way or another. Capitalism is alive and well.

I guess the private Documentation company is spending a lot of money on this one way or another. Capitalism is alive and well.

They are all buying ads to appear at the top, not depending on SEO.

I got my scam letter yesterday. My renewal is due this month.

I have been out of the loop for a couple of years and am wondering how renewal works now?

Do I automatically get a renewal form from the CG like I used to? If not, what is the renewal procedure?

From the website in post #1 here it looks like a renewal fee has been implemented. How is it paid?

Thanks

I got my renewal from the CG last month. Went online to the CG website and renewed. Gt the new COD in about a week. They take credit cards. Cost $26.

Got my scam letter too yesterday. I called them and took awhile for them to pick up. I requested they take me off of their mailing list. He tried to sell me on their service.

I asked why should I pay them, when I can do it online and for only $26. The process is most complicated he stated, I could be fined if I screw it up. I again requested they take me off their mailing list. He replied he would do so.

If you read the letter, it states they are a private company at least 3 times.

Attachments

• doc letter.jpg
    doc letter.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 59
  • doc letter 2.jpg
    doc letter 2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 54
  • doc letter 3.jpg
    doc letter 3.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 74
  • doc 4.jpg
    doc 4.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 50
This is a different one from what I got and most of these threads are about.
The letter I got was from a company in CA, even though the return address is WVA.

I got that same Billings, Montana letter today too. Shredded it. I do wonder how they build, harvest, or buy their mailing database. I hope the Natl Doc Center isn't selling it to them.

I got that same Billings, Montana letter today too. Shredded it. I do wonder how they build, harvest, or buy their mailing database. I hope the Natl Doc Center isn't selling it to them.

It's a public database. No need to buy anything.

Yes, just like voter registration and land ownership DBs.

Not sure how DMV is considered too private.

Mine too came from Montana...my first clue.

Mine too came from Montana...my first clue.

I fell for the one in California, partly because it had a West VA return address even though it was mailed from CA which I didn't notice.

These guys are slick....I'll never fall for it again. It did make me a more cautious consumer which is a good thing in these days of a scam a minute

They serve a purpose: reminding me to pay the documentation renewal directly with the USCG. :)

I did get an official renewal notice from the legit NVDC. I had already renewed online and turn around was very quick. I got my new COD in just a little over a week.

They aren't the only ones posing as a government site. Federal Business Opportunities is another one. They still look like an official government site and even when you talk to them you will not know the difference. The main difference is that they charge something like $500 and the feds charge $0. They are legit. They help you get through a lot of agony but you pay for it.

I fell for the one in California, partly because it had a West VA return address even though it was mailed from CA which I didn't notice.

These guys are slick....I'll never fall for it again. It did make me a more cautious consumer which is a good thing in these days of a scam a minute

They got me two years ago.:facepalm:

As noted on other similar threads, keep in mind that if you renew with the official USCG process, your renewal will be effective for one year- from the date of renewal - NOT from the expiration date of the previous period!! So don't renew early, you'll lose the lead time!! Yes, it's foolish in today's technology, but unsurprising given it IS the federal government!

As far as the renewal service that prompted the OP thread, yeah, they're underhanded. Same format, I'm sure it's the same yahoo who's been creating all the trouble with his scammy scheme. As other posters recommended, use the US Documentation scam notice as a reiminder then shred it!

They serve a purpose: reminding me to pay the documentation renewal directly with the USCG. :)

I've always gotten a reminder letter from the real Coast Guard. The slimeballs send out their letters 1-3 weeks before the CG.

This is the one I wait for before renewing . I chunk all of the rest of the crap I get in the mail .

Attachments

• C37CFF5F-EC25-4AA0-8844-5E0F403850DD.jpg
    C37CFF5F-EC25-4AA0-8844-5E0F403850DD.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 606FE5BE-743B-4C3F-A1AA-7B32068A8E67.jpg
    606FE5BE-743B-4C3F-A1AA-7B32068A8E67.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 82
Vessel Renewal

I received my VESSEL RENEWAL yesterday from the Maritime Documentation Center. Had it not been for this forum, I would have probably taken the bait. I'll wait for the USCG official notice and save extra money. Thank you Trawler Forum for continuing my boating education!

I received my VESSEL RENEWAL yesterday from the Maritime Documentation Center. Had it not been for this forum, I would have probably taken the bait. I'll wait for the USCG official notice and save extra money. Thank you Trawler Forum for continuing my boating education!

Glad you didn't fall for it like I did.
There's been a lot of chatter about this scam here and on all the major boating forums. As more and more people become aware of this, eventually, the scammers will stop as the income generated won't even cover the postage of mailing out these "reminders"

Back
Top Bottom