Some people....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right. Here in Texas gun battles over stupid arguments are becoming more frequent. Yet another reason to control ones temper.

I think there are likely plenty of guns in the marina. However, most of the time they are safely locked away. Also, back when I had a CWP, I would never have allowed myself to become involved in a shouting match with a bum when I was armed. Too many ways to have a situation turn bad. One of the reasons I gave up the CWP after I wasn’t in a position to feel the need.

Not everything involves a shooting, despite what the Lamestream media would have us believe. More people die by other means of crime than shootings.
What sort of crimes? Statistics and citations would be helpful to my curiosity about your assertions. BTW, I am a gun owner.

He could probably be charged with assault.
If it had happened in Florida he DEFINITELY could have been charge with assault. And if the person that was shoved into the water was over 65 years old, then it would have been felony assault. No matter how angry you get, keep your hands to yourself unless the OTHER GUY starts something!

If it had happened in Florida he DEFINITELY could have been charge with assault. And if the person that was shoved into the water was over 65 years old, then it would have been felony assault. No matter how angry you get, keep your hands to yourself unless the OTHER GUY starts something!

Simple answer is call the police. Don't take the law into your own hands.

It was assault. Clearly. I'm very disturbed by those who think might makes right and that they can retaliate against a non-violent offense with violence. Probably the only reason he wasn't charged was the victim chose not to press charges. Rest assured had the victim died, the guy on the dock would have been charged with his death.

Amen. Just because he might be a transient bum is no reason to treat him like less than any other human. Ypu dont push people into the water unless you want to be charged with assault. I am an "old guy" and I dont want to be treated that way just because I dont look dangerous. I am, but dont want to prove it.

I was down at the boat on Saturday just hanging out with my wife and I heard some more profanity laced shouting from the neighboring marina. It was Mr Pusher shouting at a Yacht Club raft up out in the harbor. It was hard to clearly understand the issue, but it appears that this group thought it was OK to dinghy in and use this marina's garbage dumpster. Keep in mind, this is a small PNW moorage marina. A bit old, run down, etc... They have no guest dock, no gas dock, no facilities for visiting boats. Mr. Pusher lives on his sailboat with his pet cat and was watching this raft up repeatedly go back and forth dumping their garbage.

While I didn't appreciate his language, I can certainly understand his annoyance and frustration. He pays for the minimal services provided and it is a pain to find that your dumpster is full because of non-tenant garbage. This time, his recourse was to call the City Police and a Gig Harbor police boat came out and spoke to him as well as the yachts rafted together in the harbor.

Another recourse that Mr. Pusher shouted to the offenders is that he would call their Yacht Club. I thought that was a particularly smart idea. Yacht Clubs in our area are jealous of their reputations and generally will try to police their own members behavior.

Mr. Pusher sounds like someone who merits a warning and if he can't control himself removal from the yacht club. I don't know the specific laws and ordinances in your area but in many areas his tirade could get him arrested just as his assault could have. The charge would be something like "disorderly conduct."

I do feel for you having outsiders filling your garbage. Unfortunately, if you don't have security it will happen. I know marinas that have fenced and locked their dumpsters. If one sees it happening, they should just call the police. I'd also recommend taking a video or at least photo so you have proof when the police arrive. However, it would likely take someone in authority to actually press charges and then be time consuming and burdensome.

While the garbage dumpers are annoying, Mr. Pusher is scary. You've witnessed his behavior when he doesn't like something. What if some member there does something he doesn't like? What if a kid annoys or harasses him? And now you know him losing control is not a one time thing. At least this time he called the police but then he wasn't within reaching distance of the bad guys.

I know you and others may think I'm overreacting, but in business and manufacturing situations we learned long ago to worry about those who exhibited such behavior. Their behavior does often escalate. They're the ones who return with weapons, so knowing perhaps 1 out of 100 was a serious threat, we had to consider them all to be for the safety of our employees.

Don't you think that locking dumpsters or avoiding people to dispose of their trash properly will only result in people throwing this away without any consideration to environmental impact?
This has been in any circumstances, private or commercial, in any country of the world.
I would rather prefer to see a redneck using "illegally" the marina dump than to see him throwing the trash overboard or abandoning it somewhere hidden on the shore.

L

Don't you think that locking dumpsters or avoiding people to dispose of their trash properly will only result in people throwing this away without any consideration to environmental impact?
This has been in any circumstances, private or commercial, in any country of the world.
I would rather prefer to see a redneck using "illegally" the marina dump than to see him throwing the trash overboard or abandoning it somewhere hidden on the shore.

L

We don't know the quantity involved. I have more of an issue with them trespassing on private property than with what they put in the dumpster.

What's the name of the Marina? And what yacht club was it that was rafted up together?

Last edited:
What's the name of the Marina? And what yacht club was it that was rafted up together?

The Marina is Westshore Marina. I don’t know what Yacht Club it was only that it wasn’t the Gig Harbor Yacht Club or the Tacoma Yacht Club. I didn’t recognize the Burgee.

Mr. Pusher isn’t a member of any Yacht Club (I assume). He is just some old guy living on his sailboat with his cat. He is loud and profane, but I think that he certainly understands that his pushing was out of line and dangerous. He did thank me after all for speaking to him as I did when it happened.

BTW, there are two public docks in the harbor that the boaters could have taken their garbage to and disposed of it there.

I just don’t understand why boaters can’t be a bit more responsible.

I just don’t understand why boaters can’t be a bit more responsible.

I just don't understand why people can't be a bit more responsible. Boaters don't have the market cornered.

...He pays for the minimal services provided and it is a pain to find that your dumpster is full because of non-tenant garbage.
There's more than a few stereotypes of 'sailors being cheap'. They're glad to brag about how cheaply or freely they got something and can squeeze a nickel so hard you can practically hear Jefferson scream. But someone else taking advantage of something they pay for? OUTRAGE!

Some folks are never going to be happy. Some folks are never going to take the tranquility of others into account. Seems like plenty of both there...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom