Thread: GPH efficiency?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 06:05 AM   #29
Scratchnsaw

City: SOBX North Carolina
Personally I would never attempt to compare one boat to another, solely from their fuel burns. Size almost always matters. But the age of the boat when comparing similar sizes can vary. Older boats in similar sizes almost always burns more fuel per hour than the newer hulls simply because the construction materials have changed making boats weigh less, along with the engines, which have seen major improvements in efficiency when just reducing their weights while using improved electronic metering.

Take for instance in my case the four stroke outboards are far superior in fuel use than the older two strokes, which have now also been improved in their remakes. The same applies to the smaller diesel engines like Yanmar versus the older type GMC marine diesels like the 653 or 853 that were used in the earlier models of the heavier production fiberglass hulls in the states.

The older inboard gas engines like the Commanders sucked gas like a rotten leaky wooden planked hull leaked water. There is not enough money and desire to deal with either scenerios in the 21st century, especially if a person wants to use their boats more than just a dock condo.

I will add that with the price of the newer hulls, some of the older hulls looks mighty good. You can buy a lot of fuel for price differences of upgrading to a modern hull. Pay as you go works for some folks on any type of boating budgets.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote