New member, IG owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBrunes

Vessel Name
Wow, Boat
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy
Hey all,

Just joining the forum. I have had a trawler for about 5 years now and have lurked here a few times, and finally decided to join.

I have an Island Gypsy 36 Europa which feels like the perfect weekend boat for a family of 4.

We live in Los Angeles and do Catalina fairly often.

I am also a spearfisherman and spend a lot of time in the water in SoCal.

I am trying to learn so I can eventually take care of my boat myself, but I am far from it!

Look forward to becoming part of the community.

Thanks!

DB

Attachments

• IG36.jpg
    IG36.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 66
Hi DB and welcome. A good start to the thread is top tell us a bit about your boat - number and type of engines, internal layout, type of anchor - you get the idea.

Once again welcome

Welcome

DB
Welcome aboard
You obviously were paying attention while lurking... you started off w a picture of the boat [emoji106]
Looks like a beauty.
Glad to have you aboard.

Welcome DB. Nice looking IG. I also have a 36 Island Gypsy Europa, hull number 141. My 36, Navigator, has a single 315HP Cummins 6BTA. I am getting ready to move on board for a year or so and cruise from NH to Erie/Champlain/Rideau Canals and then south for the winter. I purchased our boat last summer and was only able to get about 50 hours on her before putting up for winter.

This spring I removed and serviced aftercooler and heat exchangers (main and gear) and heat exchanger on Westerbeke. All fairly easy to service.

Looking forward to hearing more about your boat.

Cheers,
Captcarp

So funny you say that... I was writing my intro and couldn't figure out how to get a picture to upload... i was getting stressed! I wanted to join, but not without at least one pic! Finally figured it out.

I'll add more shortly.

Thanks

DB
Welcome aboard
You obviously were paying attention while lurking... you started off w a picture of the boat [emoji106]
Looks like a beauty.
Glad to have you aboard.

Sorry, I covered a bit of that in my first post on the roll call thread... but I should have done it here.

Single John Deere, 500 gal fuel capacity in 2 tanks. 100 gal water. Bruce/plow anchor with 300 ft of chain. Interior is helm to starboard, galley to port. Down stateroom to starboard, and bunk berth in bow. Head with separate shower stall to port.

I will have to figure out the hull#. That's a new one to me!

Thanks

Hi DB and welcome. A good start to the thread is top tell us a bit about your boat - number and type of engines, internal layout, type of anchor - you get the idea.

Once again welcome

Sounds like a great trip! Good luck! Post pics.

I just did the heat exchanger on mine. A friend helped me take it off and we sent it out to get boiled out. Came back so clean and nice!

Welcome DB. Nice looking IG. I also have a 36 Island Gypsy Europa, hull number 141. My 36, Navigator, has a single 315HP Cummins 6BTA. I am getting ready to move on board for a year or so and cruise from NH to Erie/Champlain/Rideau Canals and then south for the winter. I purchased our boat last summer and was only able to get about 50 hours on her before putting up for winter.

This spring I removed and serviced aftercooler and heat exchangers (main and gear) and heat exchanger on Westerbeke. All fairly easy to service.

Looking forward to hearing more about your boat.

Cheers,
Captcarp

Here are a few more pics

Attachments

• IGHelm.jpg
    IGHelm.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IGSalon.jpg
    IGSalon.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IGSalon2.jpg
    IGSalon2.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IGStern.jpg
    IGStern.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 55
Also, since there seem to be people checking this thread, but I haven't gotten a reply over on "Roll Call"...

I have a question and hoping someone can direct me to some advice.

I met a guy at my marina with the same boat as me... a couple years older and he had twins. His sat about 8 inches lower in the water than mine. And in talking with him, it sounded like his was less "rolly" than mine at sea.

Is it possible that I am lighter by the weight of an engine and that it why I sit so high and am so tender? Do you think I need to add ballast to compensate for the weight of the engine?

If you would share your HIN - we could help you decipher your hull number from that- of you can research it online. Most likely, the center numbers will be what you seek

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom