• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

34 Mainship MK1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cruise

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Odyssey
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 MK1 1978
I have and will be looking for a MK1 on the east coast up to the great lakes. Am looking for one repowered. RKinne@SBCGlobal.net

I am ready to buy and have researched these in depth. Hard to find!!!

Best of luck with your search

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search. We have looked at many in the Great Lakes, fresh water boats, but inventory is a bit low right now and prices are high as the US economy is good and people are buying toys.

There are a couple within a few hours drive of your location but not repowered. Might be worth the drive to get a feel for what they're like if you haven't been on one before.
In our opinion, they make nice little pocket cruisers, especially if you're a hands-on kind of person. There's a wealth on information about them available online,which helped us make our decision & also helped us make decisions about upgrades.

Last edited:
Siestakey - Thank you, Please spread the word. I have allot of knowledge in boat repair, operations. I look forward to contributing. There is one in MI but the seller is not getting back to me

Thank You Boomerang, I have crawled around in a couple. I would love to have the opertunity to ride in one just to get the feel. I am super excited to find one and have my fiberglass, wood working tools shined up! It’s a make sense boat for me.

Labomba - You are looking to purchase a Mainship also? Your profile pic looks like you have quite a nice set up now.

Here's one that's been repowered and is about 80% complete @ 24k.

I know why would you pay 24k for a boat that needs finishing when there's boats out there that are finished @ 35k?

Most of those 35k boats aren't finished they are "covered up".. Coming from someone who's working on one having a blank slate is kind of valuable when you can add things YOU want, have enough budgeted to pay someone to do it, etc.

You're going to want to install nice flooring and make the boat look fresh anyway.

I'd also prefer a boat that's overpowered but gets great mpg at trawler speeds. The Mainship can run along at 15 knots and sometimes you need to get away from something or make it somewhere before dark. Also could put together a 4 man group and run it like a sportfish on occasion(splitting the fuel bill).

Also subscribe to the yahoo mainship owners group. I spend my time here because the yahoo group format is horrible but some of the best deals i've seen have been there. I remember a restored 34 with a yanmar going for around 35k.

EDIT I removed the link after looking again.. not a great deal.

Last edited:
Mrwesson - I can’t agree more about the over power. It gives you all the options. Quite an impressive performance curve. I also will be customizing floors, cabinets etc. A repower with needed cosmetic work is fine.

You may have been looking at the MK2 with the Cat engine. That boat has the smaller flybridge. I would take the Mk1 or Mkiii.

It seems the main stream sites have not been updating with these mianships. I was looking for another resource to hunt down these boats on the market or just in local yards.

Thank you for looking.

I looked at a 1980 Mk1 near Annapolis, Kent Narrows in December. The boat was repowered with a John Deere 220, approx. 3000 hours if I remember correctly. I'm sure no expert when it comes to boats, but the decks, flybridge seemed rock solid ( think they were rebuilt ). It was still on Yachtworld a while back. The owner made some changes to the cabin area. Good luck.

I looked at a 1980 Mk1 near Annapolis, Kent Narrows in December. The boat was repowered with a John Deere 220, approx. 3000 hours if I remember correctly. I'm sure no expert when it comes to boats, but the decks, flybridge seemed rock solid ( think they were rebuilt ). It was still on Yachtworld a while back. The owner made some changes to the cabin area. Good luck.

I was docked next to this boat for a month in Crab Alley Cr last year. Your correct flybridge, deck, gunnels all redone. The PO owner added a Northern Lights 5 kw, Lectra / San treatment, new windlass and extra bilge pumps plus new bridge canvas with screens. The owner sold due to health reasons, too bad you missed her it was sold recently.

Hi David, thanks. I should have rechecked before posting. I liked the boat, the boss not so much. I told her that the previous owners had dumped a ton of money into her. When she saw another boat close by , it was deal off. Was hoping to have a boat on the Chesapeake this spring, but it looks like I will have to wait. Jeff

Thank You Molly gray- I saw that boat online also. I wasn’t a fan of the interior and some of the workmanship. But looking back, and seeing what is available. That probably was a great buy. The other items could be reworked in time.

John Deer is a great generator motor. I assume they have a good rep in marine, but you don’t hear much about them.

Thanks for the input, no worries, they come on and off the listing sites.

Nothing runs like a Deere. You find a MKI or MKIII with a Deere, your assumption as to the quality of the engine is correct. There is a reason they are so popular in gen sets.

In my opinion, you need 220HP + to keep a MKI on plane at 14-15 knts, they get weird above 17-18. Mine had 200HP and strained to get "over the hump" but minimum plane was about 13.5knts medium load. Any turn, wake or sea and she would fall off.

For planing Mainships a pair of 42 x 12 trim tabs is invaluable

:socool:

John Deer is a great generator motor. I assume they have a good rep in marine, but you don’t hear much about them.

Keys disease, That’s what i’m Hearing.. Yanmar 230, Cummins 220, Deer 230 would be ideal.. Cats eh.. no Volvo.. That’s all, just that little bit more hp to get over the hump. Sum bigger tabs to keep you there when you pull back. Love it. I want one very badly! I am trying to not be in a rush but I have been looking for over a year and am funded.

Did you add a sided window on yours below the stock ones? Hard to see in the small pic, but I see a black area. Would be a great spot for a view!

Mrwesson - I can’t agree more about the over power. It gives you all the options. Quite an impressive performance curve. I also will be customizing floors, cabinets etc. A repower with needed cosmetic work is fine.

You may have been looking at the MK2 with the Cat engine. That boat has the smaller flybridge. I would take the Mk1 or Mkiii.

It seems the main stream sites have not been updating with these mianships. I was looking for another resource to hunt down these boats on the market or just in local yards.

Thank you for looking.

That was the one and I removed it because I too dislike the MK2 lack of cabin space.

I'll go against the grain and recommend a 315hp QSB cummins. Why 315? because it goes from 230 to 315 with absolutely no difference in weight(same engine). At that point the handling characteristics are up to you. I've ridden in a mainship 34 with this setup and it does get slightly squirrely in beam seas @ 20 knots but with trim tabs you can tame it.

The QSB is very modern with electronic fuel monitoring but it does add a few electrical do-dads that you probably cant work on. Side effect of tech.

The 315 will burn .8gph @ 6.8 knots(very close to hull speed).. Incredible. 14gph @ 20 knots is also very good.

A 260hp yanmar would be a good fit but cost more than the 315 cummins.

This boat has the same setup as the one I rode in and is a great resource. Engine Selection - My CMS

They repowered with the 315 QSB for the same reasons.

None of these engines will just drop in without some work to the mounts/stringers but it's minor(also documented on that website).

Here's some cost figures of a repower with alot of notes/info. This guy went from a perkins to a 270hp cummins. http://mainship34.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Jay-Leonard-Repower-notes-.pdf

Last edited:
The second link is to Jay Leonards re-power of Attitude Adjustment, and he may chime in here as he's still around although on an Albin nowadays instead of his much discussed racing Mainship.

My boat never saw North of 15.5knots (GPS) on 200HP and that was downhill with a tailwind. Jay does have direct experience in that rarified air in the 18knot+ range.

:socool:

This boat has the same setup as the one I rode in and is a great resource. Engine Selection - My CMS

They repowered with the 315 QSB for the same reasons.

Here's some cost figures of a repower with alot of notes/info. This guy went from a perkins to a 270hp cummins. http://mainship34.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Jay-Leonard-Repower-notes-.pdf

This is great information. The efficiency of the Cummins is impressive. I suppose this would allow me to run with an old Perkins for a while and work on the rest of the boat...but, knowing me I would end up completing full maintenance to the Perkins. I am quite particular with the mechanicals especially on a single screw.

So is would be spending money on something that will be remove.

Another option is to re-power right away. So I find a boat for 35k range, repower for 20k and be in for 55k. This is before other upgrades - deck repairs etc.

Final option is an already repowered boat for the 45 - 48k range.

It’s all in the equation.

I found a1987 37 Albin sundeck for 45k with twin Cummins 5.9 it has the galley in the aft. Interesting I went and looked at it. Some questionable construction but pretty boat. Odd layout. Modified v Hull, so not a trawler at all.

I am stuck on the Mainship with the semi displacement, and really like the rear cockpit. I would install a transom door and a nice fiberglass swim platform.

You all seem to have some hours in the Mk1.. in general how do you like the handling of the boat. I understand there are pros and cons to all. Does she seem to slice the water of average seas at a 12 knot pace. Does she roll side to side more or less than average?

Thank you, Your input has been extremely helpful as I add to my research library.

Great in a a head sea.

Acceptable in a beam sea(considerable rocking).

One of the worst in a following sea(flat stern).

The advantage?
Here's me flats fishing in 4' of water. The gesture is because my wife caught her limit and asked "want me to take a picture of you not catching anything?".

2KynP8ol.jpg

For every advantage there's a disadvantage and if you're looking for a "blue water boat" you could spend your money better elsewhere. If you go into it with eyes wide open about what you're getting you get alot.

That’s what i am after, simplicity but allot for a little!

Thats great your fishing in these shallows!

I am hoping to grab some blackfish and sea bass up here.

Do you find increasing speed on a following sea helps?

I get it!, i’ll never do blue water on a power boat. I have sailed from the BVI to CT in the past.

My purposes will be coastal cruising in New England. Some inland waterway to Florida eventually.

Welcome Cruise. I know its tough, but be patient, the right boat will come along. Repowers are darn expensive. Let the previous owner take the hit on the expensive improvements. Jeff

That’s what i am after, simplicity but allot for a little!

Thats great your fishing in these shallows!

I am hoping to grab some blackfish and sea bass up here.

I get it!, i’ll never do blue water on a power boat. I have sailed from the BVI to CT in the past.

My purposes will be coastal cruising in New England. Some inland waterway to Florida eventually.

Slightly.. A good autopilot set up right fixed all but the worst following sea conditions.

It can do blue water and I wouldn't hesitate to run 50-100 miles offshore if I had the capability to do 15 knots.. Just don't expect to handle like a traditional trawler.

Jeff, That is what I am hoping for. Having been looking for over a year.

I am thinking I need to get more creative on hunting one down. I don’t see them come up on the main sites.

Rob

Yachtworld has a repowered one listed. In Kentucky.

Agree mostly with other comments. I have a 6bta 250 hp in my M1. Kept the prop and gearing from my old 6bt, so am underpopped to 210 hp. I don't have much crap on the boat but do have a generator and a RIB hanging off the stern. Can cruise all day at 13.5 - 14 knots which is a nice speed for those boats. Mostly travel at 6 -7, but nice to be able to get over that 10-12 knot hump easily. I also have trim tabs and they're nice to have with more hp. I really don't see a need for more than 250 hp.

ComoDave, I did see that one. The engine is a JT. In my opinion not worth messing with.

Thanks for looking. Rob

Agree mostly with other comments. I have a 6bta 250 hp in my M1. Kept the prop and gearing from my old 6bt, so am underpopped to 210 hp. I don't have much crap on the boat but do have a generator and a RIB hanging off the stern. Can cruise all day at 13.5 - 14 knots which is a nice speed for those boats. Mostly travel at 6 -7, but nice to be able to get over that 10-12 knot hump easily. I also have trim tabs and they're nice to have with more hp. I really don't see a need for more than 250 hp.

True but in the new market some manufactures jump over the 250hp mark..

Example would be the modern Cummins QSB 5.9 jumping from 230hp to 305 with the same engine(different programming/intercoolers).

Even 230hp would be enough but I have never heard of anyone complaining about having too much power and if there's not really any trade off(same fuel burn at lower rpms but more expensive to buy)...

Cummins makes the most sense to me because they are very reliable but cost considerably less than the competition but that's just me.

I can find a remanned 5.9 for around 12-15k.

Another thought.. The engine "room" on a mainship is lacking or downright sucks.. If you could find an engine that is physically smaller to free up some of that space and come in around 220hp or more then it would be worth spending more money.

Last edited:
True but in the new market some manufactures jump over the 250hp mark..

Example would be the modern Cummins QSB 5.9 jumping from 230hp to 305 with the same engine(different programming/intercoolers).

Even 230hp would be enough but I have never heard of anyone complaining about having too much power and if there's not really any trade off(same fuel burn at lower rpms but more expensive to buy)...

Cummins makes the most sense to me because they are very reliable but cost considerably less than the competition but that's just me.

I can find a remanned 5.9 for around 12-15k.

Another thought.. The engine "room" on a mainship is lacking or downright sucks.. If you could find an engine that is physically smaller to free up some of that space and come in around 220hp or more then it would be worth spending more money.

Sure. I get the decision to go for the 305 vs 230 in the QSB. But the older mechanical BTA motors are available in 250-270 hp versions with coolant cooled aftercoolers, and are slightly more compact than the QSB. You can get those still as factory reman, and I think they're considerably cheaper than the QSB. Most of the repowers to Cummins in these boats used the Cummins BT 210 or BTA 250-270 hp and I think that's a fine choice in an older motor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom