electric stoves??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... if I could eliminate another fuel on the boat I would be happy to do so. ...

Propane-powered outboard engine for the dinghy?

My wife hates unburned diesel-fuel smell... she's basically allergic to it, makes her actually wretch and get repeat headaches. Must admit it is not my favorite smell; but, I have gotten used to it on diesel boats before. When it comes to a poorly burning diesel engine's exhaust - just forgettabout it for Linda. She needs to immediately leave the area!

When it comes to cooking powers aboard boat: We've had alcohol, propane and dock or gas gen set powered electric. All three have been/are safe because we are safe in their use. Just like we are safe in use of gasoline power on our current boats.

Currently electric everything is inside boat and propane BBQ cartridge on sundeck railing. We're pleased. 7.5 Kohler gen set is quiet and used little when at anchor. Traveling the hot water is heated by, and the house bank is charged by, starboard engine.

I have nothing against any power source as long as all equipment is kept in good condition with consistent check ups occurring for all explosive fuels.

That is really interesting. I have propane and am happy with it. I’ve had propane stoves/ovens on boats for years with no issues. However, if I could eliminate another fuel on the boat I would be happy to do so. My concerns would be cost, soot, and any diesel smell. My wife really doesn’t like the smell of diesel. A diesel stove would be a perfect solution on a diesel powered boat.

If it's a Wallas, the fan/electronics pretty much eliminate any odor. Our Kabola diesel boiler is the same. Never a fleck of soot and no smell even standing next to the exhaust. I would have preferred the Wallas oven to the Bosch we installed, but I do like the fact the the unit I have has no knobs other than one removable magnetic knob, so we have a clean work surface when not using the cooktop, which is rare. We heat water with an induction kettle and generally cook with the microwave or electric skillet, neither of which requires starting the genset.

Last edited:
This is a little off topic, but I always get a little wry pleasure noting boaters who live in mortal fear of attaching dockside water to their boat, yet embrace propane enthusiastically.

This is a little off topic, but I always get a little wry pleasure noting boaters who live in mortal fear of attaching dockside water to their boat, yet embrace propane enthusiastically.

Wonder what the insurance stats are for which item creates havoc more often???

Good point

I would guess it would be a fire due to an electrical short.

I would guess it would be a fire due to an electrical short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art

I should have elaborated... the comparison was to be between using dock-pressure water and propane use on boats.

Propane-powered outboard engine for the dinghy?

I have seriously considered it. I currently don’t have the 8hp Honda on board. Instead, I’m using my Torqueedo. However, if the reviews were better I’d seriously consider a 15hp Lehr.

Most yes propane and no dock water guys leave boat hooked to shore power too. Ah, the mysteries of the human spirit....

Most yes propane and no dock water guys leave boat hooked to shore power too. Ah, the mysteries of the human spirit....

I do not leave boat hooked to shore power [never have], have no propane [on this boat] and have fitting for dock water plugged off. That makes me a saint - in the eyes of our Tolly! :rofl:

+1 on all the above "pros". Plus no need to schlep around getting propane tanks refilled.

Full time live aboard and use our gas stove and cooktop several times a day.
9kg bottle lasts about 4 mths.

Hated electric stove in dirt dwelling, always wanted gas, professional kitchens have gas, wouldn't have electric if I have a choice.

Last edited:
professional kitchens have gas,

fewer and fewer of the best ones...

Your propane use is very interesting. On a land based grill which we used maybe twice a week, a 20lb bottle lasted about that long. How do you fine "several times a day"? and for how much time?

Single burner for coffee in the morning twice
Single burner for breakfast 4 x per week
Single burner for lunch 4 x per week
Oven 3 x week for baking
2 burners for dinner 6 x per week.

Plus BBQ use(weber Q), but that's on another bottle and we get probably 6 mths or more from that.

I reckon your BBQ grill at home has a lot of flame/burners.
The weber Q ring looks to be as much flame as probably 6 stove top rings when lit.

Last edited:
With all this talk about convection cooking, how do you broil? I’m a traditionalist with a propane broiler but curious.

Single burner for coffee in the morning twice
Single burner for breakfast 4 x per week
Single burner for lunch 4 x per week
Oven 3 x week for baking
2 burners for dinner 6 x per week.

Plus BBQ use(weber Q), but that's on another bottle and we get probably 6 mths or more from that.

I reckon your BBQ grill at home has a lot of flame/burners.
The weber Q ring looks to be as much flame as probably 6 stove top rings when lit.

When we are at anchor I bake 2-3 times a week and braise (oven on for 2-4 hours) 2-3 times a week. Plus lots of stovetop use. 20 lbs of propane last us about 6 weeks. No BBQ, which probably helps. As you say, they are extremely inefficient.

We are about to buy a trawler, and I disappointed by all the electric stoves. Reading this thread at least helps me understand why they are good for how most people use their stoves.

Propane lockers, sniffers and Auto shut off valves to protect against leaks while one is away. What protects the boat when a water fitting parts ways and no one is on the boat. Don’t say bilge pump, they can’t keep up with our water pressure levels in Seattle.

I will grant that neither of these risks compare to electricity which I noted in an earlier post.

Propane lockers, sniffers and Auto shut off valves to protect against leaks while one is away. What protects the boat when a water fitting parts ways and no one is on the boat. Don’t say bilge pump, they can’t keep up with our water pressure levels in Seattle.

I will grant that neither of these risks compare to electricity which I noted in an earlier post.

Simple answer - for before leaving boat: :popcorn:

- Shut off main valve at-the/on-the propane tank
- Disconnect hose and/or shut off water valve at the pressure source
- Don't leave boat plugged into shore
- Perko switch shutoffs for all batteries; placing them in isolation
- Leave boat suspended in water via lines, i.e. no metal connection with dock

Oh and yes... just in case something odd may occur... make sure you have good insurance policy that is paid up to date! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom