Backlit lettering?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Anyone have recommendations for someone to do backlit lettering? I'm in Annapolis.

I'm entertaining the idea for both the transom and the side panels. Or maybe just the side panels.

I know, it's a bit much for some, but I'd like to get something different this time instead of just static lettering.

A little different than backlit lettering, but...

I had my girlfriend carve out a stencil on her laser cutter at work so we could spray paint our name boards. She used 1/4" plywood, and we used it to stencil the side panels as planned. We then realized - holy ****, we could use the positives that were cut out out to make the transom name boards. So, we just took the letters, painted them, coated them in epoxy, and stuck them right on the board. Finished up with a few coats of varnish. It looks super cool because instead of a real carving like most of the fancy boats would do, ours stick out.

Back to your question about backlit lettering, I think this would look pretty damn awesome if it was lit from above or below because the letters would cast a shadow - see what I'm saying? Anyways, might be something to experiment with anyways. We were able to use some seriously gold paint too so they shine like crazy.

Wes

Attachments

• stenciled side board.jpg
    stenciled side board.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 90
  • epoxied letters transom board.JPG
    epoxied letters transom board.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 107
I've never even got around to putting a plain label on my boat.

Ours never had a name on her when we bought her but there were several different lots of vinyl in a cupboard so after a year we put 2 of them on.

Not sure if I would do it again when we repaint, we know her name and stealth mode has its appeal. :pirate:

Here’s mine. Like this?

Attachments

• IMG_3622.jpg
    IMG_3622.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 71

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom