Early North Bound Travels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I’ve been reading several posts regarding north bound trawlers returning home from Florida. I’m wondering why so many leave before June? When the winds die down for the summer, the cold front storms cease and the higher summer tides prevail. What am I missing?

Looking forward to answers. We’re thinking about leaving in mid-July to do the northern part of the loop (Chesapeake to TN).

:popcorn:

A lot of insurance policies force the northern migration. Above the FL/GA state line after June 1 is not uncommon. Plus there is gourmet cruising on the way to ,and in, the northern climes. June is a great time to go over to the Bahamas though. Snowbirds get replaced by FL locals.

Insurance and hurricanes are one of my motivations. The 3 to 4 week trip from SW FL to Chesapeake Bay is mostly enjoyable with an almost endless list of places to stop and sightsee. I like the cooler water temperatures up North during the summer. If you travel to New England, the Great Lakes, or Canada, the cooler climate and lower humidity are wonderful also.

Ted

I usually leave April 1st to follow spring up the coast. Will head south in late September to enjoy early fall going South. For insurance purposes, I wait till November 1st to cross into FL.

Ted

bugs, temps (not everyone likes it more than warm), weather arriving to the mid-Atlantic by June is pretty easy traveling weather with just a few delay days and reasonable planning, some marinas are still offering off season rates, you are not battling as many reagonal/seasonal boaters, insurance as some pointed out, family/friends...and more.....

not overwhelming reasons, but for some they add up......

Wifey B: As we sit in raining 50 degree weather.....:confused:

Yes, we wonder too, but we have done it twice and a good reason each time. In 2016, we headed North in April so we could be in NYC when the Erie Canal opened to start the loop. This year, we headed north in mid April because our destination this summer is circling up and around Nova Scotia and then down the St. Lawrence to Montreal. It is supposed to be more normal, 60 degrees tomorrow. Until then....

There once was a man from Nantucket
Who kept all his cash in a bucket.
But his daughter, named Nan,
Ran away with a man
And as for the bucket, Nantucket.

Yes, I found a clean Nantucket limerick. :rofl:

We are leaving towards the end of June.

Our insurance date is July 15 to be north of Cape Hatteras.

Lot's of work to get ready.

Wifey B: We did linger in warmer climates longer and NYC was fine a bit colder. However, next time we might wait and then run north quickly like a delivery trip. Still, to the question of what one does while cruising in the cold, today we enjoyed ourselves inside. The cooks among us went wild with a huge breakfast and then a spectacular late lunch. Eating light dinner. We talked and joked a lot with soft music in the background. Cruising past Martha's Vineyard and to Nantucket was still beautiful and tomorrow we'll have fun exploring the island. As much as we prefer warm, we don't let the colder temps ruin out enjoyment. :D

Oh, and our insurance doesn't care where we are unless we're in a war zone or something.

"I usually leave April 1st to follow spring up the coast."

This early anchorages are not full , and by 1May most of LI Sound is back in business.

Trees, shops and gas stops.

Wifey B: Yesterday 50 degrees. This morning 59 degrees. Tomorrow 64 degrees. What a difference a day can make. :)

Back
Top Bottom