Moldy lifejacket cleaning tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Anyone had luck cleaning lifejackets? I've got a couple of kid sized ones we've used for guests. To my dismay they're showing a bit of mold or something. They must not have been clean/dry when I put them away last Fall. I tried running them through the washing machine. That cleaned them up somewhat but didn't put a dent in what looks like mold or mildew.

Given these are often for small kids I want to avoid new parent "worries" about exposure to things. I know, life is dirty, get used to it... Meanwhile I'd rather avoid guests worrying about it.

I've seen a few posts elsewhere online with suggestions. Anyone here have a tried-and-true method? Lemon/sun, vinegar, bleach, etc? I know to be careful about bleach, of course.

Attachments

• 20180518_123314.jpg
    20180518_123314.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 166
There is a difference between a stain and mold. A mild solution of bleach and water will kill the mold, rinse thoroughly afterwards. Stains may not come out, but aren't a health risk. I would try a scotchbrite sponge with a little dawn dishwashing soap and maybe a little bleach afterwards.

Ted

Mildew Stain Remover worked well on some of mine.

Clean garbage can filled 3/4 with a good squirt of Dawn, a half gallon of of bleach and water (I had 6-7 of them to do so went big time). Shove the life jackets in and let soak. I think I used a brick to weight them down some. Flip the jackets around a couple of times over the course of an hour so all areas are exposed to the bleach/detergent. Then hang up soaking wet and let the sun help the bleach and dry them out. The jackets that came with our boat were throw away disgusting but I thought I would give it a try. Glad I did because they came out looking almost brand new.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom