How do you entertain yourself underway?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Delfin, you had me at "an adult and interesting discussion". I'm always up for listening to smart people!

Delfin, you had me at "an adult and interesting discussion". I'm always up for listening to smart people!

We just find that listening and learning doesn't interfere with window gazing, watch keeping, or instrument watching. Naps, book reading, conversation - they are all part of the intimacy that makes cruising so special. I was just curious how others take advantage of the precious time afloat, so I appreciate the comments.

Last edited:
Grateful Dead channel on Sirius XM or internet radio by day: a 3 1/2 hour complete concert makes a nice compliment to a day's cruise or boat work. Whatever is good on Hulu, Acorn, Netflix, Prime, etc. or what our DVR recorded in the past week or so, by night.

And I thought I was the only one with the GD channel in first position! Live Dead, San Francisco, 1968. Has the only song written with an 11/4 beat I know of - "The Eleven".

We just find that listening and learning doesn't interfere with window gazing, watch keeping, or instrument watching. Naps, book reading, conversation - they are all part of the intimacy that makes cruising so special. I was just curious how others take advantage of the precious time afloat, so I appreciate the comments.

I’ve recently discovered podcasts. I listen to them while doing morning dog walks/jogs. I like podcasts that last 45 minutes to an hour. I find that if I’m trying to do something else requiring my brain I don’t really listen to the podcast, but I will try to listen to one next time I do a longer passage.

On longer passages when the wind is blowing the steadying sails usually keep me entertained and occupied. I have trouble reading for comprehension when underway because I’m scanning the horizon every 15 seconds it seems.

I’ve recently discovered podcasts. I listen to them while doing morning dog walks/jogs. I like podcasts that last 45 minutes to an hour. I find that if I’m trying to do something else requiring my brain I don’t really listen to the podcast, but I will try to listen to one next time I do a longer passage.

On longer passages when the wind is blowing the steadying sails usually keep me entertained and occupied. I have trouble reading for comprehension when underway because I’m scanning the horizon every 15 seconds it seems.

If you enjoy podcasts, check this one out Cardude.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/226523-ants/

And this one..

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/61/fiasco

I can see the ant wars being played out around our house right now, although I think they are different clans of Carpenter ants, and the Fiasco story of the production of Peter Pan is about as funny as it gets.

Naps are powerful things on my ride. I can pretty much guarantee that any butt that lands on the futon will be asleep in five minutes. The rumble of the motor at 950 turns does something magical.

When that happens, back to the sat radio.

I enjoy podcasts and am 'reading' audible books on my 1-3 hr trips. Some of my currrent favorites include
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, Lincoln: Team of Rivals and Thomas Jefferson, The Art of Power. I'll need to pause it time and again to deal with other pressing issues, but since it's on my Amazon Tap, it only takes a voice command PAUSE or PLAY to control the audio on the stereo.

Of course, there's always music to listen to enroute.

I enjoy podcasts and am 'reading' audible books on my 1-3 hr trips. Some of my currrent favorites include
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.

Shackelton is one of my favorite people and amazing fortitude.

As for me, I run the boat. The Admiral sets in the sun. We’re good.

Doings underway

I pilot the boat, the "copilot" watches me! I intentionally am always taking the boat on and off autopilot, it keeps me alert.

Interesting how many couples only have one helms-person... a helmsman. Me, I could never do that set-up.

Interesting how many couples only have one helms-person... a helmsman. Me, I could never do that set-up.

Wifey B: Me either. :rofl: We actually in our extended family have many more helmswomen than helmsmen. 3 Helmsmen. 7 Helmswomen. ;)

My wife takes the helm if I need a nap, need to hit the head, or if I make lunch because she doesn’t enjoy sitting there for long stretches. She is a master at snuggling up to crab pot floats near shore in all manner of weather, so much so that I barely have to reach for them :thumb:

I generally do the piloting. She is there to take a watch when I need a break. So I have only a smaller portion of the time under way to read, which I do a lot of, or other tasks. Occasionally the wind is behind us, so the conditions are good for outside maintenance, sanding, cleaning, polishing, or other more complex chores. She is at the helm then for sure. When things get wet outside I am usually at the helm. There is never a time when nobody has their eye out for the ubiquitous deadhead in our home waters. Even with considerable vigilance, they still creep up on you.

For podcasts, check out Freakonomics Radio. Many varied topics, always interesting and thought provoking. I have not listened to "This American Life" in a while, but I would second the recomendation for that as well.

With our cruising, I am not usually at the helm. I would say that the majority of the time the helm chair is empty with the boat on autopilot.

There are no crab pots to worry about, except on the coastline. No dead heads, or flotsam/jetsam in the water and very few boats outside of Adelaide coastal waters. The main concern is the sea state and the weather. Usually (not always) that is predictable in the short term.

If the weather and sea conditions are nice, we are relaxing in bean bags on the foredeck just enjoying life (usually with the a/p remote handy. If it's cool or raining, we may all be playing cards, and just scanning the horizon for boats between each hand. The card table in the saloon has 360 degree views and only a few steps from the helm. :)

I can't say that an unexpected danger will never present itself, but I feel the risk of being out of the helm chair is very low.

The only time I've ever had to take sudden evasive action was when hit with a microburst, but there was no avoiding it.

It sounds like most of you guys need to be much more vigilant with boat traffic and junk in the water and you don't stray far from the chair.

We are either listening to a book on Audible or one of fav XM stations

For podcasts, check out Freakonomics Radio. Many varied topics, always interesting and thought provoking. I have not listened to "This American Life" in a while, but I would second the recomendation for that as well.

Good tip, thank you.

I’m currently listening to these. They are very interesting.

I have actually been collecting some hardbound novels. I haven't read one in years (all Kindle). Looking forward to it.

Amazon FIRE , and library wi fi access , the best $50. ever spent.

Average 200 books a year. The bride uses same account for books on tape.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom