Outboard trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Outboard Trawlers

Love the simplicity of an outboard, and the ability to beach our boat right up to the shore

dateposted

Don

Last edited:
I saw that "restored" boat on craigslist but it screamed airbnb boat to me(hope it's not a members).. also the price is ambitious to to say the least.

If the efficiency is there @ trawler speeds(and I don't think it is) there's still the "issue" of storing enough gasoline on the boat to power it.

I like diesel.

:thumb:

I saw that "restored" boat on craigslist but it screamed airbnb boat to me(hope it's not a members).. also the price is ambitious to to say the least.

If the efficiency is there @ trawler speeds(and I don't think it is) there's still the "issue" of storing enough gasoline on the boat to power it.

The price is certainly a reach....a LONG reach.

We aren't going to find its efficiency on boattest.com but I was wondering how it would do with high thrust Suzuki DF60's like the Great Harbour TT35 is using. Kind of hard to tell if the outboards are even mounted at the most efficient height on the transom.

Art - I was laughing at the name too. Just too few answers to be found in a CL ad and too few pics were provided.

I like diesel.

Seems there would be plenty of room for fuel [gas or diesel] storage seeing as the two inboards were removed. Maybe they could put enough fuel aboard to make the boat an ocean-passer! :popcorn:

Seems there would be plenty of room for fuel [gas or diesel] storage seeing as the two inboards were removed. Maybe they could put enough fuel aboard to make the boat an ocean-passer! :popcorn:

With enough energy on board to register on seismographs worldwide.

With enough energy on board to register on seismographs worldwide.

What most do not understand - Gasoline [as a liquid - regarding its own chemical compound - even if great heat were to be applied inside the liquid mass] does not [itself as a liquid] explode nor burn. With fume-ignition point temperature reached and ample %age of airborne gasoline fumes present... gasoline fumes do violently burn... which can explode a gasoline tank wide open and then the released gasoline liquid's "fumes" burn and are continued to be fed by additional fumes coming from the evaporating liquid gasoline!

Rule of thumb: Better to transport a full gas can than a 1/2 full can. Reason... less fumes to escape or explode should for any reason a situation arise where ignition temperature were to be reached in the gas can's fumes; by a spark or anything else.

Can gasoline catch on fire?

Remember the vapors, not the liquid, ignite. That means a lit cigarette doesn't have to be near the gasoline for it to catch fumes on fire. ... A fire or explosion can result from gasoline fumes coming in contact with one of many ignition sources.

Flammable and combustible liquids themselves do not burn. It is the mixture of their vapors and air that burns. Gasoline, with a flashpoint of -40°C (-40°F), is a flammable liquid. Even at temperatures as low as -40°C (-40°F), it gives off enough vapor to form a burnable mixture in air. At higher temperatures gasoline fumes become more pronounced as an airbourn percentage and therefore ever more dangerously explosive .

Last edited:
What most do not understand - Gasoline [as a liquid - regarding its own chemical compound - even if great heat were to be applied inside the liquid mass] does not [itself as a liquid] explode nor burn. With fume-ignition point temperature reached and ample %age of airborne gasoline fumes present... gasoline fumes do violently burn... which can explode a gasoline tank wide open and then the released gasoline liquid's "fumes" burn and are continued to be fed by additional fumes coming from the evaporating liquid gasoline!

Rule of thumb: Better to transport a full gas can than a 1/2 full can. Reason... less fumes to escape or explode should for any reason a situation arise where ignition temperature were to be reached in the gas can's fumes; by a spark or anything else.

Remember the vapors, not the liquid, ignite. That means a lit cigarette doesn't have to be near the gasoline for it to catch fumes on fire. ... A fire or explosion can result from gasoline fumes coming in contact with one of many ignition sources.

Flammable and combustible liquids themselves do not burn. It is the mixture of their vapors and air that burns. Gasoline, with a flashpoint of -40°C (-40°F), is a flammable liquid. Even at temperatures as low as -40°C (-40°F), it gives off enough vapor to form a burnable mixture in air. At higher temperatures gasoline fumes become more pronounced as an airbourn percentage and therefore ever more dangerously explosive .
And this is the better idea for simple gas cans that we have to travel with when we use all the gas out of it. I wonder who came up with these non vented cans? When something is not broken someone will make sure to break it, you know. These things turns into big round rad mellons.

Attachments

• IMG_2006.jpg
    IMG_2006.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2004.jpg
    IMG_2004.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 62
These gas cans SHOULD be illegal!!! Especially their "absolutely sealed" cap arrangement and pour spout design that spills gasoline all over the place.

Some engineer that had not ever used gas cans to any extent designed this crap.

These gas cans SHOULD be illegal!!! Especially their "absolutely sealed" cap arrangement and pour spout design that spills gasoline all over the place.

Some engineer that had not ever used gas cans to any extent designed this crap.

Look up ezpourspout.com

Look up ezpourspout.com

Looks pretty good. Noted that on video [interesting fuel tank arrangement shown for short time on an OB boat] they mentioned "Our high flow spout can empty a vented 5 gallon can in just 35 seconds". And, many of the plastic fuel cans shown have vents on back handle. Unfortunately... I've seen no plastic fuel cans for sale in CA with a vent and the ones I have do not have any vents. This is a reason it is so hard to utilize the pour spout that comes with the plastic cans and is legally supposed to be used. A vacuum gets formed due to their ill designed breather attempt on the stupid and nearly always leaking during pour - legal spout.. I'm confident that in my non vented 5 gal plastic cans that a vacuum would really make pouring even with the EZ Spout a "chugging" PIA.

So... I just simply open the filler hole wide and pour into a big funnel of some sort. The big opening allows air to enter over top of the fluid stream coming out.

I try to never leave my gas cans in the sun... so that they do not blow up like a balloon. I also don't fill more than 4.5 gals in a 5 gal can so there is room for fuel expansion on hot days.

I also have some old metal cans that work well and there is a metal can on the net that CA refuses to let into stores. I have one. It's pretty good but not too easy to hold its spring assist lid open under certain angles sometimes needed for filling a separate tank.

Visit: https://www.zoro.com/eagle-type-i-s...MInPTe1J2P2wIVgluGCh2o3A67EAQYAiABEgK_sPD_BwE

:speed boat:

You can find the darnest things on Craigslist. This is a 30' Rosborough Roughwater rigid inflatable "fast trawler". Want to go fast? Well this baby has two Yamaha F150's.

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/d/rosborough-roughwater-911/6573991659.html

Wow - $129K blow up boat! Didn't notice any sleeping area in photos. What happens after couple decades pass and the inflatable material has much sun damage? Junk the whole thing. Or take the top parts off and place onto/onto a new blow up hull? I'd imagine that in time [not too many years] that boat would depreciate to near no value due to rubber-like hull material aging factors - Am I wrong??

Wow - $129K blow up boat! Didn't notice any sleeping area in photos. What happens after couple decades pass and the inflatable material has much sun damage? Junk the whole thing. Or take the top parts off and place onto/onto a new blow up hull? I'd imagine that in time [not too many years] that boat would depreciate to near no value due to rubber-like hull material aging factors - Am I wrong??

Wondered about that myself but doesn't the USCG use a lot of inflatables like that? I guess you can replace the tubes but who knows at what cost.

Wondered about that myself but doesn't the USCG use a lot of inflatables like that? I guess you can replace the tubes but who knows at what cost.

Well yes... but they work with tax payer dollars for new boats when desired/needed. I don't know how long CG inflatables remains usable due to sun factors and other weathering conditions. :confused:

I get that but carrying around 200 gallons of potential fumes if you dont have to :).

Tube replacement is exactly what is done.
On the Rescue boat that my RCMSAR unit uses, the refit done last year included replacement of the tubes. I don't know the cost, but our fundraising branch had no trouble funding it. I know that the tube replacement schedule is longer and way less expensive than the outboard replacement schedule.

On RIBs it is possible to replace the tubes. Some boats have tubes that are glued to the hull. Others have tubes that "slip" on. I bought a used Zodiac Pro. The hull was fine, but the tubes were old. I just new tubes from the manufacturer and slipped them on. Took about an hour to install and secure them. Then I basically had a new boat. For a 16 Zodiac Pro, the new tubes were about $2K (at the time).

Our Novurania tender has tubes that are getting a bit tired and I expect to have to replace them in a season or two. Keeping them under a canvas cover when not in use helps extend their life as does having a covered slip. But, like outboards, the tubes are a consumable item.

I would love to see a 300hp high thrust outboard with a 48" leg and a 30" wheel for new displacement and semi-displacement designs.

And now Yamaha ups the game with a 425 hp XTO Offshore, "Massive Power for 50-foot-plus boats" in their words. Of course they don't mean a single engine for 50+, but when used as one of a set of two or three or four most likely. Doesn't have your 48" shaft, but does have a 35" available. Yes, Seven Marine still tops them, but Yamaha is mainstream.

First place you'll see it will likely be 60' or so Center Consoles. Second likely an express cruiser of some sort in the 50' range.

Now Hydra Sports (or HCB) has introduced a 65' center console outboard. The first is powered with five 627's.

Seems like there would be a market (a small one) for 300 HP outboards geared low, spinning big props. (I would have said wheels but props are more proper for outboards.)

Their are many commercial applications as well as trawler-type propportunities.

and here is your answer to all things 'outboard'.
Yamaha Announces New 425-HP V8

I'll bet that will make your outboard trawler exceed your hull speed.

Last edited:
Saw this in Gulfport this weekend. 700 horse. No-one aboard - would have liked to discuss what his experience has been.

That worked well - again:

Attachments

• Outboard Trawler GPT.jpg
    Outboard Trawler GPT.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 81
That worked well - again:

Agree, that would be interesting to learn more about. Looks like professional work. Because of the weight transfer aft, I wonder whether they had to raise the boot stripe to make it appear trimmed out properly at rest.

Back
Top Bottom