Turbo Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamup

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bay Tripper
Vessel Make
'06 MS 34 Pilot
I have a MS Pilot 34 with Yanmar 240s. The port engine's turbo failed. My mechanic removed it and took it to a local turbo shop that felt it was beyond salvation. So here's my dilemma: My mechanic is quoting $2400 for an OEM replacement + four hours @ $110 + travel time for an all-in of close to 3k. As I look on eBay I find turbos for my engine in the $800-$1800 range. As far as installing the new one, it looks like four bolts, but I'm probably underestimating the difficulty. I have two questions. 1) with average mechanical skill (6/10) is this particularly difficult? (2) Am I crazy to order a turbo from eBay/Has anyone on this esteemed forum taken this route?

Go on you tube and see if they have something. I have done a few things after a you tube video. I also passed on things by looking at you tube. Be honest with your self, either way its a lot of money. Let us know.

if you don't trust ebay, call Turbo Solutions in NJ 844-428-8726. They are the oem master distributor for most brands and you'll know for sure that you're not getting counterfit crap.
John

How did the old one fail?

If the shaft locked up or the seals went out. It shouldn't be too bad. If it crashed the inlet wheel. You will want the mech to do it because he will more than likely need to dig the pieces out of the cooler. if it was the intake seal. You will need to check any spot the oil could accumulate. It's basic nut and bolt disassembly/assembly for the most part. Make sure you pour oil in the oil feed before you put the feed line on. You don't want to start it dry.

If the impeller is still intact, you can probably rebuild it. I’m getting ready to rebuild the turbo in my 5.9 Cummins F350. Got the kit off eBay for $100.

BTW, $3k for just a turbo and labor is insane!

if you don't trust ebay, call Turbo Solutions in NJ 844-428-8726. They are the oem master distributor for most brands and you'll know for sure that you're not getting counterfit crap.
John

They probably buy it off eBay, put on a markup and sell it to you at a greatly inflated price.
Have had suppliers try this with me on various things many times.

John
Helpful folks ,worth a call..$2400?

I have a MS Pilot 34 with Yanmar 240s. The port engine's turbo failed. My mechanic removed it and took it to a local turbo shop that felt it was beyond salvation. So here's my dilemma: My mechanic is quoting $2400 for an OEM replacement + four hours @ $110 + travel time for an all-in of close to 3k. As I look on eBay I find turbos for my engine in the $800-$1800 range. As far as installing the new one, it looks like four bolts, but I'm probably underestimating the difficulty. I have two questions. 1) with average mechanical skill (6/10) is this particularly difficult? (2) Am I crazy to order a turbo from eBay/Has anyone on this esteemed forum taken this route?

changing turbos is most often not a big deal, unless, as previously stated, it physically destroyed itself. You should have no problem.

As for getting one off ebay, just clarify with the seller that its returnable for a full refund if you get it and it does not look right. On the bench, they're not all that tough to check. Look for the oil return line to be sure its not full of gunk. Check that all the bolts are tight with no obvious signs of weeping or leaking. Check both wheels, the compressor and the one on the exhaust side. They really should have no play, or at most, I tiny bit. Make sure there are no signs of the blades hitting the housing; thats a drop dead issue for me. The blades should turn easily Another thing I'd check is to see if the bearings are easily available and if so, consider changing them out. I haven't messed with bearings in a while, but I don't recall them being all that expensive. But worth checking to be sure you're not buying something that you then have to spend a few hundred more on.

have fun

toni

As for getting one off ebay, just clarify with the seller that its returnable for a full refund if you get it and it does not look right. On the bench, they're not all that tough to check. Look for the oil return line to be sure its not full of gunk. Check that all the bolts are tight with no obvious signs of weeping or leaking.

New are only $500 for ours, wouldn't bother with second hand

Add: I have done zero research and make no recommendation on this brand.

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbo-Tur...553697?hash=item33dab3e0e1:g:2LwAAOSwIVhaBCF8

If only I could get a spare raw water pump that cheap.

Last edited:
Simi, that is cheap,and for some reason I trust Taiwan sources above "elsewhere". At that price you could carry a spare,as I do with the genset fuel solenoid($60)

I note it says there are no fitting insts and to use a qualified installer. Wonder how a local installer reacts at doing the fitting but missing out selling the part.

Before you jump on a new turbo, you need to determine what caused the old one to fail, or you might just be setting yourself up for repeat scenario.
Most turbo failures I’ve seen are a direct result of a poorly engineered wet exhaust system."

Before you jump on a new turbo, you need to determine what caused the old one to fail, or you might just be setting yourself up for repeat scenario.
Most turbo failures I’ve seen are a direct result of a poorly engineered wet exhaust system."

:thumb: If the exhaust throat of the turbo is corroded, then water got in from the exhaust and caused it to fail. It will probably happen again unless you redesign the exhaust. Post pictures of the exhaust outlet so we can see.

Yes, Yanmar turbos are expensive from Yanmar. Unless you can find the exact model replacement from third parties I would pay Yanmar's price.

I have had one very bad experience with no name, eBay turbos.

David

They probably buy it off eBay, put on a markup and sell it to you at a greatly inflated price.
Have had suppliers try this with me on various things many times.

I can guarantee these guys dont buy off ebay. They are the master distributor for Cummins-Holset, Borg warner, and Garrett among others and they do the overhaus for many of the countries largest truck and equipment dealers.
John

Thank you all for your responses. To answer a question a few asked- The turbo failed because of corrosion experienced after an exhaust problem late last season that was repaired. (David you nailed it)! I spoke with Turbo Solutions and OMG what great people and very knowledgable. After the input from TF members and speaking with others I decided to go with the OEM turbo from my mechanic. It certainly isn't the cheapest solution, but the savings I'd realize from other options is <1K and I feel better about an OEM vs. reman.

Thank you all for your responses. To answer a question a few asked- The turbo failed because of corrosion experienced after an exhaust problem late last season that was repaired. (David you nailed it)! I spoke with Turbo Solutions and OMG what great people and very knowledgable. After the input from TF members and speaking with others I decided to go with the OEM turbo from my mechanic. It certainly isn't the cheapest solution, but the savings I'd realize from other options is <1K and I feel better about an OEM vs. reman.

You need to solve the salt water intrusion issue or you will ruin another turbo. Probably needs the exhaust elbow (s) reconfigured. To my knowledge Mainship was known for not having enough height in their exhaust risers. (Yanmar wants 13” of height from waterline to the spill over point in the riser minimum) At minimum I would add a rubber exhaust flap to the exhaust outlet.

My Yanmar turbo was roughly the same price as yours. Yanmar sources their turbos through several OEM’s. A good turbo shop will cross reference and save you 5 or 6 hundred and you will get the correct turbo. Best to do this or stay with Yanmar. Cheap turbos scare me.

The price is not that out of line. The previous owner spent just over $7000 for a turbo replacement on our 330 hp Cummins. Think you have made the right decision and one that won’t keep you up at night. [emoji106]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom