Mast mount options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boater3

Guru
Vessel Make
tbd
I would like to add a WiFi/cellular antenna. I see three options...

1) screw/rivet a mount to the mast (such as: 4366-R Stainless Steel Mast Mount Shakespeare Marine Antennas or https://glomex.us/portfolio-items/v9173/ which is similar to my TV antenna mount),
2) find a mount like the one my spotlight is mounted on to bolt onto the existing tab opposite the spotlight (can't find anything like this but maybe the antenna should be higher up for optimal signal, especially because we have a large tide swing and the extra couple feet might make a difference),
3) some how extend the mount at the top of my mast where my wind transducer and VHF antenna are, either adding +1 to either side, or even both sides (probably not to the side of the wind transducer as it may cause it not to work).

Looking for additional options or thoughts on the above 3 options. Short of riveting a mount to my mast or having something custom built, any one have any ideas on a pre-made mount that can be used in conjunction with options 2 or 3 above? How hard is it to rivet? Can most electronics installers do it?

Pictures attached

Attachments

• option 1.jpg
    option 1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 77
  • option 2.jpg
    option 2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 74
  • option 3.jpg
    option 3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 77
Personally I would try to go with option 2. Mounting bracket is already on the mast, should be easy to start from there.

L

Personally I would try to go with option 2. Mounting bracket is already on the mast, should be easy to start from there.

L

Any idea where I can find a pre-made mount that would be compatible? I am getting estimates of $300-ish and 4-6 weeks lead time to have something custom fabricated...

3) some how extend the mount at the top of my mast where my wind transducer and VHF antenna are, either adding +1 to either side, or even both sides (probably not to the side of the wind transducer as it may cause it not to work).
For option 3, I'd simply replace that horizontal plate with a longer one, since it appears to be bolted onto the tab that's welded to the mast. That's something you can do yourself.

For option 3, I'd simply replace that horizontal plate with a longer one, since it appears to be bolted onto the tab that's welded to the mast. That's something you can do yourself.

But where can I purchase a "longer one"? That is what I have been searching for...

But where can I purchase a "longer one"? That is what I have been searching for...
Aluminium flat bar/strip stock from onlinemetals.com. 6061 T6 1/2" x 4" x 2 ft long is less than $30 (plus shipping), but I'm just guessing at what you need.

On my mast, I used aluminum flat bar, 2” x 3/8” that you find being used to mount on helm seat arm rests. Heck, I might even have one laying around here. Could be drilled to bolt on to mast, hose clamped with SS band, or u-bolt bracketed with SS exhaust clamps.

Attachments

• 06147F12-B537-4E16-B6E9-2C487E8ACB04.jpg
    06147F12-B537-4E16-B6E9-2C487E8ACB04.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 59
Mystery -

I would add an extended composite material mounting plate to the spot light plate.

Might be the simple solution.........

Plenty of bolt support there. (Also get ride of the POS factory spotlight!!!)

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom