No yelling necessary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks goboatnow. It's nice to hear from someone who is actually doing what I'm asking about....and likes it.

Can we assume you never dropped your phone overboard?

With the phones in our pants/shorts pockets they aren’t at any more risk then any other time we’re boarding or doing other work around the boat. Just don’t put them in a breast pocket where they could fall out when you bend over to secure lines.

What about Eartec, has anyone had experience with them?
Marine

We are considering a pair of the lightweight headsets as opposed to the earmuff style.

We have the Eartec Ultralight wireless and love them. We’ve used them for three years and would never be without them.

Amazon has them at a pretty good price.

Last edited:
........ However, you're arguing strongly for a system you haven't tried and saying people here don't know anything about bluetooth.........

We talk headsets because we've used them successfully. .
You've read my mind!:banghead:Thanks!

We haven't the need for electronic communications since crew, if any, are only several feet away. That's the advantage of a not-large boat commanded near deck/dock level.

Each time we put them on and activate them we do a quick test to make sure we are communicating. Our standard test protocol is as follows:

Me: "You on?"

Her: "yes."

Me: "Show me your tits."

Her: "*%!@^ %!*"

Then we proceed with our maneuver.

With the phones in our pants/shorts pockets they aren’t at any more risk then any other time we’re boarding or doing other work around the boat. Just don’t put them in a breast pocket where they could fall out when you bend over to secure lines.

You've read my mind. :banghead: Thanks!

Just a side thought that is currently of little help in this situation. However, the direction of the conversation made me think of it. There are currently apps and devices that allow cell phones to connect with each other without having cellular service.

They connect through a "mesh network" that is established over either Bluetooth or Wifi. This can be done with phones only, though only locally, or with booster devices that will go miles. Unfortunately, I believe this only currently allows exchange of texts and some data, though not voice. It does make you think that voice is on the way. https://www.technologyreview.com/s/533081/communication-app-works-without-a-cellular-network/amp/

Working lines etc requires full attention. Your mate deserves the respect of not having to watch hand signals, listen to shouting that may be difficult to understand, spotty communications and be a full part of any information sharing and decisions that need to be made.

Communication goes both ways and some seem to think it is one direction only.

Headsets also provide additional security when the other person has left the bridge and is out of sight.

Working lines etc requires full attention. Your mate deserves the respect of not having to watch hand signals, listen to shouting that may be difficult to understand, spotty communications and be a full part of any information sharing and decisions that need to be made.

Communication goes both ways and some seem to think it is one direction only.

Headsets also provide additional security when the other person has left the bridge and is out of sight.

Headsets are also useful beyond the boat. One of you is out on the dock, to the marina or looking for someone to fuel, or whatever purpose and you're still in communication.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I promise.

We use bluetooth headsets - bought them for each other for Christmas. I'll try to answer these items one by one.

You think it would be a cheap, convenient solution. That says you haven't actually tried it. Try it.
We have a Bayliner 4788 that we are just learning how to drive & dock. We were very worried about communication, and during the sea trials our concerns were validated. My wife standing in the port side of the cockpit can't hear me, nor I her, when I'm in the pilothouse. Our home slip is a port-side tie.

We bought these: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Headphones-Cancelling-Mic-Black/dp/B015IEW1AY/ref=sr_1_5

$40 for the pair.

Let us know where you put the phone and how your range on the headset was.
I put my phone on the pilothouse dash. My wife zips hers up in her jacket. If I stand on the aft swimstep, I start to lose signal. 100% of the boat has coverage.

Let us know the quality of sound. Try it several times in different locations and let us know if any signal issues.
Sound quality is excellent. As if my wife is standing right next to me. We've not noticed the simplex/duplex issue mentioned by someone previously -- but it's not like we are constantly talking. We've only had the boat out a few times, but we've used the headsets every time. As long as there is cell phone coverage (and I think this is the differentiating factor between this solution and headsets), it's a completely viable solution.

Let us know if you lose any cell phones overboard trying it or any drop on the floor and get their screen busted.
0% chance of that happening. Literally 0%.

There is a chance.. and in fact it's happened.. of the headsets themselves falling off your ear and into the water. That's why we went with the around-the-neck earbud solution, and not just the ear-clip thing.

If by actually trying it, you find it works fine for you, then we'll listen.
I did, and I do. For a lot cheaper then headsets, which is why I went with the solution.

However, you're arguing strongly for a system you haven't tried and saying people here don't know anything about bluetooth. Well, I do know about it, but I see so many problems in trying to do remote bluetooth from the cell phone while handling lines and I see very limited potential for your solution.
Explain to me, then, your concern with handling lines? How is a "headset" any different than a "bluetooth headset" in terms of physical attributes?

We talk headsets because we've used them successfully. We have plenty of cell phones and bluetooth ear pieces on board and don't use them for this.
I think there are use cases for headsets.

I think there are use cases for bluetooth headsets.

There are pros and cons with both solutions.

Reading a fun thread about docking interactions on the other forum...

And that's reminded me we actually don't usually need to communicate much between ourselves... given that we have a plan decided in advance, and usually only minor modifcations (if any) are ever required... UNTIL some 3rd, 4th, 5th, whatever party enters into the equation.

For example, the dock hand who won't follow instructions. Or the friendly neighbor who won't cease and desist. Or any passengers on the boat who can't remember what they were told to do (sit there, out of the line of sight -- don't move, don't touch anything).

Wifey and I being able to hear each other over the cacophony is usually the problem after all that.

-Chris

We haven't the need for electronic communications since crew, if any, are only several feet away. That's the advantage of a not-large boat commanded near deck/dock level.

We clearly have the winning solution above. Forget Sena, Eartec or the cel phone route. Just get a Seahorse coot and all your docking communication issues will be solved.:banghead:

We use bluetooth headsets - bought them for each other for Christmas. I'll try to answer these items one by one.

Thanks Matt. It is good to hear how they are working for you.

BTW, have you had a chance to get out and enjoy the new boat much?

We’ve just gotten a set of headphones that have the old clip-on receiver for the beltline. I’m not sure how we’ll get along with these yet, but I doubt if it will keep my Admiral from yelling at me, or for that matter, stop her from clubbing me with the boat hook.:blush:

Wifey B: Hubby is opposed to yelling. :) Seriously, he doesn't like it and he never does so himself. He'd only yell if something seriously bad was about to happen. Heard him once in a Walmart parking lot as someone almost backed into another car and I think they and everyone in the store heard but they stopped. But that's why we use mechanical devices whether we could yell and be heard or not. You yell something to him from a distance and he will not yell back. He'll walk over to you to respond. Most have never heard him yell. Now, I've been known to but never at him and mostly stopped since he trained me. ;)

Someone said something earlier about yelling giving the appearance of anger and being interpreted as such. I suspect that's behind his aversion. :ermm:

No clubbing. Tennis racket not so useful.

We have a Bayliner 4788 that we are just learning how to drive & dock. We were very worried about communication, and during the sea trials our concerns were validated. My wife standing in the port side of the cockpit can't hear me, nor I her, when I'm in the pilothouse. Our home slip is a port-side tie.

We bought these: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Headphones-Cancelling-Mic-Black/dp/B015IEW1AY/ref=sr_1_5

$40 for the pair.

I put my phone on the pilothouse dash. My wife zips hers up in her jacket. If I stand on the aft swimstep, I start to lose signal. 100% of the boat has coverage.

Sound quality is excellent. As if my wife is standing right next to me. We've not noticed the simplex/duplex issue mentioned by someone previously -- but it's not like we are constantly talking. We've only had the boat out a few times, but we've used the headsets every time. As long as there is cell phone coverage (and I think this is the differentiating factor between this solution and headsets), it's a completely viable solution.

0% chance of that happening. Literally 0%.

There is a chance.. and in fact it's happened.. of the headsets themselves falling off your ear and into the water. That's why we went with the around-the-neck earbud solution, and not just the ear-clip thing.

I did, and I do. For a lot cheaper then headsets, which is why I went with the solution.

Explain to me, then, your concern with handling lines? How is a "headset" any different than a "bluetooth headset" in terms of physical attributes?

I think there are use cases for headsets.

I think there are use cases for bluetooth headsets.

There are pros and cons with both solutions.

Mattkab,

Excellent response :thumb:

THANKS!!!

I can say, I procured some ETec
Headsets this fall. I used them while shrimping, fishing, docking. They were one of the best upgrades I have made. I can talk with the person doing an engine check and hear them perfectly, talk calmly with my wife and kids while docking the boat.

Even had my father-in-law run the boat while I directed his engine movements to keep the lines up and down while we bottom fished in a 3knt current. Only problem, was when I barked in the wrong commands forgetting I was facing backwards. I had to take the blame.

Here's what we have done. My wife has a set of wired ear buds she likes to use to listen to music while walking around the neighborhood. It has a build in mic in case someone calls. Actually, she has 2 pair, one for her old phone (now mine) and one for the new phone which takes a different connection.
Haven't tried them on the boat yet, but we did try them around the house. They work like a charm. We can be in the next room or thousands of miles away. Perfect hands free communication. Probably didn't pay $50 for the both of them.

What about Eartec, has anyone had experience with them?
Marine

We are considering a pair of the lightweight headsets as opposed to the earmuff style.

We bought Senas and could not get them to pair bilaterally and I am very computer literate. We got the Senas replaced - same problem. Sent the Senas back - with no problem on the refund by the way and got Eartec. Paired immediately and work beautifully. Our previous boat was all one level and i could just sit on the rail and direct the Captain - in a KK 42 with a raised pilothouse and me about 10 feet below - he can't see or hear me and he can't see where the dock is. (we have side tie) Eartec is essential!!!

We bought Senas and could not get them to pair bilaterally and I am very computer literate. We got the Senas replaced - same problem. Sent the Senas back - with no problem on the refund by the way and got Eartec. Paired immediately and work beautifully. Our previous boat was all one level and i could just sit on the rail and direct the Captain - in a KK 42 with a raised pilothouse and me about 10 feet below - he can't see or hear me and he can't see where the dock is. (we have side tie) Eartec is essential!!!

We never have any problems with Sena’s pairing with each other (or with my phone for that matter). You are saying that your two sets of Sena headsets would not pair with each other?

FWIW, we just paired and tested our new SENA SPH10 headsets yesterday.

As with most full-featured stuff, ya gotta learn how to do each of those "stuffs." No matter, we figured it out.

They worked very well; duplex discussion was easy, etc. Wifey said she felt the headset was very secure even when she's out on deck, unlike the little Bluetooth cellphone ear thingy we've used in the past.

Turns out it's not just an improvement for her hearing me; it also means I can hear her, both of which are a bit iffy when our bridge enclosure is sealed.

-Chris

We just tried ours yesterday as well. Pairing took a few tries but man what a difference when docking and anchoring!

I think they should be outlawed. Some of the best shows in town (at the marina ) are free. The incompetence of the husband trying to dock and the incompetence of the wife not reading his mind, make for great entertainment. Docking solo means nobody to blame but yourself.

Ted

Hi,
New to this site. I am amazed at you your useless input and the waste of our times.
Try to impress other people on other forums. Please!

I think they should be outlawed. Some of the best shows in town (at the marina ) are free. The incompetence of the husband trying to dock and the incompetence of the wife not reading his mind, make for great entertainment. Docking solo means nobody to blame but yourself.

Ted

You are so insightful. Thank you.
Your a waste of time.

Ted

Hi,
New to this site. I am amazed at you your useless input and the waste of our times.
Try to impress other people on other forums. Please!

Your a waste of time.

??

Were you not able to recognize the humor?

-Chris

Your a waste of time.

Wow, this tremendous contribution from someone whose three total posts are asking if something is still for sale and insulting Diver twice.

Oh and my wife insists I correct your grammar.

You're (not your, but the contraction for "you are"), so repeat, You're a waste of time.

I kinda agree with OC Diver, but then what do I know, i’m Just sitting here on TF being a complete waste of time.

O C Diver (Ted) I bet you have been called worse.

I have found that docking can be a spectator sport but watching boaters at the ramp trying to back a trailer and launch a boat is much more fun.

YMMV
Keep smiling

Back
Top Bottom