anyone heading north this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ausie bob

Hi, just wundering if any of you guys are heading north this winter? we are heading*up through Morton Bay on the 12th July, then up through Wide Bay bar to spend some time in the Great Sandy Straights before moving north to* whitsundays for a few months.

*bob & Cheryl M

42 GB Europa* Grand Finale.

-- Edited by ausie bob on Friday 8th of July 2011 08:01:34 PM

Hi, Bob, welcome to the group. Maybe you could link up with Allan Young while up in Sandy Straits. He moors at Tin Can Bay.

AlanY, "Nevia" 32ft Cheoy Lee Trawler
Queensland, Australia
www.nautek.net

Sadly, the trip you are planning is one I dream of doing, but unfortunately, the 2iC is not keen, and I don't really have the time it would take, not being retired yet. I think we might have to do the Whitsundays via charter one day. We have had a short holiday there on Long Island, and did several boat trips. We declared we had to get back there and preferably in a boat. However, with the time I would have, and the speed we can go, we would use up all the holiday just getting there, even if the 2iC was willing. But chartering...that could work, and when you add up fuel usage, probably not much more expensive? How much diesel do you think it will take, and how long will you be out there before you are back in Sydney? You mention months, so presumably are retired...?* Retired....ah...that word has a nicer ring to it than it used to I must admit...Trouble is, how does one afford to keep running a decent sized boat once retired, they are not cheap to keep...?* Any tips there?

PS - love your boat.* Again, one I could kill for - well maybe not actually kill, but....

-- Edited by Peter B on Friday 8th of July 2011 06:57:06 AM

-- Edited by Peter B on Friday 8th of July 2011 06:59:27 AM

Hi Peter, thanks for the welcome. i will try and email Alan when we get a little closer, we live on the gold coast so will take us a few days light traveling to get there. no not retired but close, will still commute back and forth once a month for work unfortunately.this will be our sixth trip north but the first in this boat, we brought her in from Singapore year before last on deck cargo and spent some time on a refit and paint e.c.t. Hope he turns off the fan as we get further north . Maybe we will catch up in the bay sometime!

Bob &Cheryl m

Grand Finale

Gold Coast, Australia.

Ah, so you are on the Gold Coast Bob. Sorry, but for some reason, (maybe the Sydney Boat Show post), I got the idea you were down there. Well now we know that you are up this way, then yes - every possibility we might link up some time out in good old Moreton Bay.
Have fun up North. I'd love to know what line of business you are in, when you can still run it by remote control and the odd trip back in to the office. In my next incarnation I will definitely not be a quack. It sucks the way all income stops the minute you step out the door. Hence my query about funding a boat once retired. I look forward to perhaps semi-retiring, working as locum GP perhaps, doing maybe 3 days a week, to fund boat stuff etc. As long as ones health holds.....it's a good plan...I think...?

It seems we have somthing in common, i'm a plumber and always bury my mistakes just like a doctor probably would.?

Bob M
Grand Finale

Gold Coast

Ha ha ha, Bob..a plumber eh? Plumbers and their call-out fees are what we docs often quote when patients whinge about the fee for a house call. Doesn't make any difference though, they still complain and still think we are all filthy rich - I wish.....
Never mind. Lets try to hook up some time out on the bay? Give us a bit of a running commentary on your Whitsunday trip if you can, and also when you get back, and we might be able to meet up somewhere out there...?

Bob,
Where are you at present.
I am based in Mooloolaba.
yach club marina "D" finger berth 30.
Doesn't look like I will be heading north this year as due to recent engine transplant I am still doing internal cabin work, new toilet work
and setting up shaft gen set again.
So this also entails making dollars so heading back to Wa on monday to generate boat dollars.
If I get the work completed we will probably go a little way at the end of the year.
A mate of mine is pretty keen for us to head north next year and go fish down the inside of the Gulf.
Seems like a plan but will have to wait and see. He has a 45' timber x cray boat a Pompei build boat from Mordelliac.
If you are getting into Mooloolaba give me a call.

Hi Benn, at present still on the gold coast but heading tues. am, should be yacht club marina about fri. pm. Maybe you'll be over the west then, time in Mooloolaba depends on weather.
Hope we can catch up sometime.

Bob & Cheryl M
grand Finale
Gold Coast
Australia

Well I am up at Laguna Quays at present.
No, not on my boat as the work is not yet completed.
Just poped up to check on a unit I have here.
The marina is still a bit of a mess but at least they are working on it and ressurecting some berths.
The place requires dredging but even with 6 ft draft you can still get in and out on 1/2 tide.
The place is still the most secure Marina on the Whitsunday Coast and also a nice quiet , plesant place to stay.
Heading home on Friday before heading off to Chrismas Island (pacific Ocean) to chase bonefish & large GTs on fly.

Hi Benn, missed you in Mooloolaba we are currently in Pancake, a bit windy. Do you know if Dave on the Alaskan got away on the 1st,

Bob&Cheryl
Grand Finale

Bob,
I left before dave was getting away but would not be suprised if he has gone.
I will be back in Mooloolaba on the weekend and will check on the commings and goings.
Yep and it blowin its little boobies off up here in Laguna on the West side of Repulse (Repulsive) Bay.

Hows the fishing in Pancake , usually good for some good Flathead and if you are in the know some good mud crabs.
Take the creek into the mangroves and head for Jenny Lind, (don't get lost)

OK guys who is going to report in that they are actually away cruising this year.
I am still stuck in Mooloolaba doing the remainder of my work in the wheelhouse after the transplant.
Fitting a new ElectroScan toilet system and a few other items.
Still havn't decided on weather to fit a Floscan unit or just some digital gauges Tacho etc, just weighing up the costs and must have/like to have option.
Looking at the Cruzpro instruments as a possible source.

Apparently pretty blowy up in the Whits at present.

hi benn,well it is a bit blowy here but still better than tied up. at present in yellow patch no fish or crabs yet, should get out of here on friday to head either kepple or port clinton.as for the flowscan unit imho a good sight guage is as good,

bob&cheryl
grand finale

Bob,
What a good place to be.
Some good crabs up the creek if you head west towards the palm trees.
Had an interesting experience with some dingos on the beach south of the sand hills a few years ago.
Great fishing spot either up the sand flats or out in front of the lighthouse on the western side.

As for thr floscan set up, I do have good graduated sight glasses on my tanks but previously had a Navman fuel flow system.
It was inaccurate but on really long trips they can prove to be a very valuable asset.

get into the fish mate and enjoy the cruise, may see you on the way back.
Heading off to WA for a 5 week swing on an anchor handler tomorrow so will be back early Oct.
Enjoy

C'mon guys. Surely someone is doing something of boating interest Down-under. Or is everyone like me, latched onto the Teev so much watching the world cup rugby there is no time for the boat yet...even tho "spring is in the air"...?

Go the Blacks and the Wallabies....if they are both in the grand final that will be good, then either way one of my teams wins.

-- Edited by Peter B on Monday 3rd of October 2011 08:12:24 AM

Peter,
Just home from work and getting back into the boat stuff.
Still have considerable work to finnish as left overs from the transplant.
Still tossing up on fitting a FloScan. My old navman fuel flow meter packed up so it which includes the tacho/hour meter has to be replaced.
Bit of wheel house work to tidy up as well as re cork tile the wheelhouse deck.
Elecrea san unit to install as well.
Got to get it finnished so that I can move back on board, bascically been off the boat for the most part of 12 months and can't wait to move back.

The plan is to have it all done this leave so that we are ready for Xmas and may be get away for a week or so around early Jan.

A lot of the friends are still away up north but should be heading south about now.

Hey Benn, which one is you in those fishing pics. That looks like my kinda fishing too. Let me know when you're going out next eh?

Just back in Perth after 6 days on the boat. Have had new bimini ,clears, and lee cloths made. Really happy with the results but its taken since April to get the work done. Seems like out of sight out of mind despite promises to have work done by certain deadlines!! Makes the use of flybridge much more appealing although Ive noticed a slight difference in the handling of the boat in high winds that we had when in Sydney. Compromises eh? Will be back on the boat middle of Jan but will be fitting solar panels so cant see much cruising then either. Roll on April when we plan to head back to Sydney to "retire" ha ha but at least we will be on the boat more.

Does that answer your question Benn?

Just an update on my progress on "project dream" :)

At this stage its going to plan and I might be able to get it by mid next year... depends on a few things.. not least the approval of my wife on the timing... when we first agreed we'd live on a boat it was to be "a couple of years away" a few months ago :)

So yeah hopefully I can be a keen Darwin based cruising buddy for anyone heading north. Once I'm confident/competent I'll be keen to spend a lot of time in the Kimberlies and perhaps east to Gove etc also... I'll still be working but living in Darwin harbor is the plan...

At this stage I'm leaning towards a Marine Trader 50' - just seems to be the right money and features...

Or is Darwin more "north" than most meant? :wink:

-- Edited by djambalawa on Saturday 15th of October 2011 08:23:08 AM

Darwin is great.
I hope to be passing thru theer in the next couple of years as I head to the Kimberlies before everyone goes there.
Also have to cruise the Gulf and fish the inside rivers and visit the Hole in The Wall
On boats depends on what you want, there are still some good timber trawlers available that will make good conversions to
cruising boats, but you gotta have some skills and love wooden boats.

Hey Benn. Where are you at present? I'm going to be in Mooloolaba next weekend. Could try to look you up and knock on your wheelhouse door if you are there, as opposed to over there, in WA, that is....

Peter,
back at work in WA.
Just came over last Friday.
here until Dec 9 th
Timing is everything isn't it.

Ah, well, maybe next time.

Hey Benn, where is your berth exactly? I spent a very pleasant 3 hrs doing the seafood cruise celebrating a friends 60th on Sunday, and we wove all round those interesting waterways and marinas in behind the Mooloolaba seafront there, but I could not spot Tidahapa anywhere...

Peter,
Berth D 30 at the Yacht Club marina.
4 th finger up from the river mouth upstream side of the finger and 3 rd pen in from the outside.
Stern out so the name is visible and berthed beside a Nordhavn 50 with out a fly bridge and he hides me a bit.

Hi Benn.

Do you pass through Perth when coming or going? I live 5 min from the airport. Maybe we could catch up for a drink.

John

John,
When i am on my way over I usually have an overnight in Perth.
I will be comming back accross jan 13 th.
Usually get in about 3 in the arvo.Must remember to give you a call.
I am good for a couple of hours as I have an 0430 depart for Airport and then to Karratha.

Sounds like a plan.

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Wednesday 16th of November 2011 04:37:53 PM

Ah the plans of mice and men Benn!! I am travelling to Sydney on the 12 Jan to fit new solar panels to my boat. Back in Perth on 26th Jan. Hopefully next time.

John

John,
We have a tow job to Singapore next week and may be leave the Vantage up there for some SE asia work.
Therefore my next trip accross could be any time will contact you when I know.

Back
Top Bottom