No yelling necessary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you mean, you don't have use of one of your hands? Bluetooth is "HANDS FREE"
True, the BlueTooth signal is hands free but the devise (cell phone, handheld, VHF Microphone, etc.) is not.:blush: Unless of course you have 2 Bluetooth head sets as do we.)

Last edited:
ok, quick question....
instead of radio headsets, why not just buy bluetooth sets to connect with your cell phone? When you are approaching the dock, just call your first mate on the phone and communicate that way.

Two advantages of headsets v. phones:

1. In the Pacific Northwest, we have many places in northern waters where there are no cell signals.
2. Holding a cell phone while handling lines is difficult and phones don't swim well.

-Doug

True, the BlueTooth signal is hands free but the devise (cell phone, handheld, VHF Microphone, etc.) is not.:blush:

You put the cellphone in your pocket.
You put the cellphone on your helm dashboard.

IT IS NOT IN YOUR HAND

cell phones are simplex, only one person can talk at a time. There may be times when you need to interrupt the other person, you need duplex to do that.
Blue tooth has sync problems at times. I favor a dedicated radio channel set.

I'm beginning to think you guys have no concept of how bluetooth works with a cellphone.

THE PHONE IS NOT IN YOUR HAND...unless you want it to be.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think you guys have no concept of how bluetooth works with a cellphone.

IT IS NOT IN YOUR HAND...unless you want it to be.

We considered doing what you suggest. However, most inexpensive Bluetooth earbuds designed for phone use aren’t great is noisy environments. Then there is the issue of ensuring that we have cell service (even a few places in Puget Sound there is no cell service).

The Sena headsets are designed for noisy environments and as long as they are charged, are not dependent on anything else. If you use two cell phones with two Bluetooth earpieces, you are dependent on 4 devices. The Sena headsets are hung over a light fixture in our pilothouse and are always available.

So your suggestion certainly works and likely may work great for your application. It just isn’t the ideal solution for some of us in different situations.

So your suggestion certainly works and likely may work great for your application. It just isn’t the ideal solution for some of us in different situations.

And that is what I've been saying. For me, I think it would be a cheap, convenient solution. For a number of reasons, it is not the best way to go for everyone. Far from it.
Also, I would be using more of a headset. I do not like earbuds either.

Sena. For us as relative newbies they are a God send. So much nicer than hand signals and yelling.

Bluetooth works from headset to cell phone in pocket. Cell phone in pocket calls cell phone in the other persons pocket. Their cell phone bluetooth's to their headset. That's bluetooth. Both hands free to get pinched in the windlass, drop the windlass bar/tool overboard, spray the mud onto the deck instead of overboard, flip the bird to the Captain, lunge grab at sunglasses that are falling into the water, whatever else is needed. We find lots of things to do with both hands.

Chuck34

I think you should try to the Bluetooth route for a bit - see how it works for you.

I use Bluetooth headseat all day. In fact I carry two, so when the battery goes down on one, I can switch during the day. Do not like to talk on my cell phone without it.

All that said. When we wanted seamless communication during docking or anchoring, we chose to buy dedicated headsets (Earteck).

Love them. Don't have a call coming in at a critical time. Sound is great. We follow a regular procedure after use, remove batteries and put in the charger. Always ready to go.

No way I would choose to use cellphone/Bluetooth for this application. But that's just me. Not wanting to impose my personal perspective on anyone else.

Good boating with however you choose to handle communication.

I think they should be outlawed. Some of the best shows in town (at the marina ) are free. The incompetence of the husband trying to dock and the incompetence of the wife not reading his mind, make for great entertainment. Docking solo means nobody to blame but yourself.

Ted
Ya.
What Ted says.

We recently tried a pair of Sena headsets on a friend’s boat - very impressive.

My wife put these at the top of the boat list. Said something about wanting to be in my head when docking (yikes!)

In a different thread the topic came up - why am I not having wife dock and handle the lines myself.

This is part of the training process - I talk her through every step in docking as I go through it.

Docking is now the continuous conversation - what line to grab - where to tie first, what is for dinner, etc...

I think you should try to the Bluetooth route for a bit - see how it works for you.

Chuck IS/IS suggesting using Bluetooth... just with cell phones (in hands-free mode) and cell calls in between instead of direct BT-to-BT headsets like the SENA units.

Works fine.

Although... Chuck... FWIW, we have encountered areas on the Chesapeake where we really don't have good enough cell service with one or the other phone (AT&T and Verizon). That's not often a consideration, but it has happened.

Our BT "headsets" for our phones are over-the-ear thingies with a short mic. Wifey hasn't considered that to be very secure. Especially relative to a round-the-headbone headset. Also, since the microphone isn't close to the pie-hole and doesn't have a wind protector on it, there's some tendency to noise...

I was happy enough with it, but then I'm on the protected bridge and out of the wind. Wifey wasn't as comfortable, and sometimes I had to ask her to repeat what she was saying due to wind noise out on the foredeck.

But we've used that off and on for several years, without actually losing an ear thingy overboard and without bashing to boat too much.

And it's better than simplex family radio with VOX headsets, though... when the cell signal cooperates.

-Chris

Problem solved. No cell service or Bluetooth syncing required.

Attachments

• Speaking Trumpet.jpg
    Speaking Trumpet.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 53
Sena. For us as relative newbies they are a God send. So much nicer than hand signals and yelling.

Bluetooth works from headset to cell phone in pocket. Cell phone in pocket calls cell phone in the other persons pocket. Their cell phone bluetooth's to their headset. That's bluetooth. Both hands free to get pinched in the windlass, drop the windlass bar/tool overboard, spray the mud onto the deck instead of overboard, flip the bird to the Captain, lunge grab at sunglasses that are falling into the water, whatever else is needed. We find lots of things to do with both hands.
What model Sena? A lot to choose from.

And that is what I've been saying. For me, I think it would be a cheap, convenient solution. For a number of reasons, it is not the best way to go for everyone. Far from it.

Yeah. Certainly worth a try as you could get a couple of them for the price of one Sena headset.

What model Sena? A lot to choose from.

Oops. I lied. Not Sena, we got the Eartec UL2. I believe we paid about $350 or so for the pair. It was between these and a set from Sena, the SPH10. I can't remember exactly why we went with the Eartec but one point was that they went over the head and the Sena's went around the back of the head. My wife liked that better. I think maybe the reviews of the Eartecs gave them an edge. At least the ones I came across.

Last edited:
When docking it is all fairly straight forward. We discuss the plan and backup plan prior to arrival. My wife knows what her part is. No communication is required at the time of docking.

The only time we need to communicate at a distance is if she is on the bow directing me over the anchor, or through a narrow channel in skinny water. We use pre-agreed hand signals for this. No batteries required.

Having a small, single level boat with 360 degree vision from the helm certainly reduces the need for input from others.

What about Eartec, has anyone had experience with them?
http://eartec.com/marine.html

We are considering a pair of the lightweight headsets as opposed to the earmuff style.

Last edited:
What about Eartec, has anyone had experience with them?

Yes, see above response. Ours work very well. No issues at all. Wifey reall likes them. Good sound quality, batteries seem to last long enough for our use. Not sure how long they would go if left on. We have a GB 42', not the biggest boat in the world of course but no reception problems as we can talk from everywhere on the boat including the engine room to the flybridge. Just more expensive than the Sena model that I looked at.

We have the Sena and they work great. No batteries, usb recharge. I like the Over the back of the head setup. I don’t have to worry about the headset falling off if I’m leaning over the bow when setting the snubber. I do all the deck work, Donna is on the helm. On a Krogen 42 the headsets are mandatory.

You think it would be a cheap, convenient solution. That says you haven't actually tried it. Try it. Let us know where you put the phone and how your range on the headset was. Let us know the quality of sound. Try it several times in different locations and let us know if any signal issues. Let us know if you lose any cell phones overboard trying it or any drop on the floor and get their screen busted. If by actually trying it, you find it works fine for you, then we'll listen. However, you're arguing strongly for a system you haven't tried and saying people here don't know anything about bluetooth. Well, I do know about it, but I see so many problems in trying to do remote bluetooth from the cell phone while handling lines and I see very limited potential for your solution.

We talk headsets because we've used them successfully. We have plenty of cell phones and bluetooth ear pieces on board and don't use them for this.

After 3 years of heavy cruising have no need for another electronic devise that needs charging or susceptible to breaking. A bow and stern thruster is all we need to make life easy. I just pin the boat to the pier, she steps off and ties us up as we planned. One thing we did incorporate was fenders on both sides, dont remind me why we do.
We are continually commended by those wanting to help when they observe how we dock, like a boss!

You think it would be a cheap, convenient solution. That says you haven't actually tried it. Try it. Let us know where you put the phone and how your range on the headset was. Let us know the quality of sound. Try it several times in different locations and let us know if any signal issues. Let us know if you lose any cell phones overboard trying it or any drop on the floor and get their screen busted. If by actually trying it, you find it works fine for you, then we'll listen. However, you're arguing strongly for a system you haven't tried and saying people here don't know anything about bluetooth. Well, I do know about it, but I see so many problems in trying to do remote bluetooth from the cell phone while handling lines and I see very limited potential for your solution.

We talk headsets because we've used them successfully. We have plenty of cell phones and bluetooth ear pieces on board and don't use them for this.

BandB,
You're right. I have not tried this yet, but if and when I do, I will report back.
But you and others keep harping on loosing the phone overboard or dropping and breaking it. IT'S IN MY POCKET as it has been FOR YEARS. Hasn't fallen overboard or dropped on the deck yet.
As far as range goes, my phone is in MY POCKET and my wife's will probably be in HER POCKET. We know from years of using Bluetooth, range is easily 25-30 feet. Ours will be 2'.
We're not doing anything different with our phones that we haven't been doing for years. All we are doing is adding a simple Bluetooth headset to the equation.
Why do I want to spend a couple hundred dollars on a system that we will use 15 times a year?
We've been docking our boats for 25 years and have done just fine without ANY communications system other than speaking loud enough to be heard by each other. I'm just looking for something that will make communications a little easier.

Since adding Libra to the fleet we have added a pair of the Eartek Ultralights. That Is a game changer for sure. I never thought I needed them on Klee Wyck but now dislike the thought of operating without them. We just have a normal ongoing conversation through the whole process of coming or going. Really nice.
I was sure I wanted them for Libra as at 126,000# you are not moving her with lines even under benign conditions.
We spent Mother’s Day weekend on the boat (as has become a tradition) with three generations over at Rosario. Came and went in a pretty stiff crosswind and comforted by the headsets. Saw some pretty entertaining attempts by others with more windage. Also saw three pros (a 55 Fleming, a 60 Fleming, and a beautiful one off named Single Malt 1) come in smoothly using the same headsets.

We don’t use headsets in benign conditions. If conditions are lively or if docking looks problematic we’ll use out Bluetooth headsets with our phones. I just call my wife, stick the phone in my pocket ( as she does ), and all is well. I didn’t want more gadgets, I’ve got plenty.

Over the ear Bluetooth unit is about the size of your thumb and costs about $70. Charge lasts about 6 hours of talking time.

We don’t use headsets in benign conditions. If conditions are lively or if docking looks problematic we’ll use out Bluetooth headsets with our phones. I just call my wife, stick the phone in my pocket ( as she does ), and all is well. I didn’t want more gadgets, I’ve got plenty.

Over the ear Bluetooth unit is about the size of your thumb and costs about $70. Charge lasts about 6 hours of talking time.

Thanks goboatnow. It's nice to hear from someone who is actually doing what I'm asking about....and likes it.
Can we assume you never dropped your phone overboard?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom