No yelling necessary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bayview

Guru
Often things change when docking especially when not in your home dock. If you get headset radios any changes can be easily communicated to deck crew without yelling.

+1 on the headsets. We love them.

That in itself eliminated the frustration of trying to communicate, the other person not being able to hear. Highly recommend.

Marriage savers - we use Etec. In fact we bought a pair when we bought Sonas, and then discovered four more on board!

I think they should be outlawed. Some of the best shows in town (at the marina ) are free. The incompetence of the husband trying to dock and the incompetence of the wife not reading his mind, make for great entertainment. Docking solo means nobody to blame but yourself.

Ted

My procedure was to stand off, look at where we're headed, talk about it, make a plan. Proceed.

Once in a while, that actually worked! :D

My procedure was to stand off, look at where we're headed, talk about it, make a plan. Proceed.

Once in a while, that actually worked! :D
[emoji106] only add is also make a plan B if A goes awry.

Yelling unacceptable. .. if anything goes wrong it's the skippers fault.

Didn't communicate
Didn't communicate enough or clearly
Didn't check understanding
Didn't train when where necessary
Yadda... yadda.. you get it.

Yelling is not by itself anything but a loud voice.....

Often used in many high noise areas with no derogatory connotation.

Big difference when inappropriate tone or language used.

Hate the several headsets and phone episodes I have been through. But certainly once a boat gets large enough, headsets/station communications becomes necessary.

Anyone want to buy some headsets cheap? :D

Last edited:
When we were in Treasure Cay recently this Queenship 60 came into the slip behind us. We were inside but came out quickly when all of the shouting and yelling started. She seems really torqued off

Came to find it was just the missus at the back yelling instructions up to him. I was tempted to go over afterwards and suggest headsets. But since they were Aussies I thought I'd better keep my suggestions to myself!

http://www.tgyachts.com/yacht_pdfs/2008_60_Queenship_Sea_Spirit_Dauntless.pdf

From what I can tell they recently bought her and registered her as based in Sydney. They disappeared after a few days and when we went back a couple of weeks later she was still there without them, so I'm guessing a trip home for them.

I think they should be outlawed. Some of the best shows in town (at the marina ) are free. The incompetence of the husband trying to dock and the incompetence of the wife not reading his mind, make for great entertainment. Docking solo means nobody to blame but yourself.

Ted

SO SO TRUE! but then sometimes I feel guilty at letting them provide me with entertainment

Hey youse guys.......

Karma is a bitch! :)

Good headsets are worth every penny. Being old, I've forgotten the brand we have, but I know a number of other TF folks have them. They are bluetooth and designed for use in motorcycle helmets. The range is such that they work great for communicating between the person at the helm and the person in the dinghy taking a stern tie to shore.

Sena

Sena? We use these and I think someone here on TF brought them to our attention. About 6 months and we are happy, even on our little boat. Much better communication and no screaming circus shows. Recommended.

I use Sena headsets. You can yell all you want from the back of my boat, it’s just that, I’ll never hear you.

Sena? We use these and I think someone here on TF brought them to our attention. About 6 months and we are happy, even on our little boat. Much better communication and no screaming circus shows. Recommended.

Yes, thank you. Sena.

SO SO TRUE! but then sometimes I feel guilty at letting them provide me with entertainment
It`s called schadenfreude,with no word for it in English the German is used.
"Schadenfreude is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another."

I guess I'm lucky , my bride was a boat owner .

She understands , after a bunch of ICW trips and the loop, just what is required of her for a successful docking.

Since the boats prop dictates which side we will use ,( 99% of time port side to) its only a matter of selecting the cleat we will shoot for.

A well located midship cleat makes her task easy, not a PA address or a radio.

Anyone want to buy some headsets cheap? :D

Oh, sure, NOW you offer!

:)

We just bought a pair of SENA headsets; haven't even tried them yet. We found wifey really couldn't hear me all that well when we had all the bridge enclosure panels up all the time -- because of the cold weather. In normal weather, though, I can open panels and we can hear each other well enough.

I sometimes used the loud hailer to pass instructions, but that sounds like yelling... even when it's not... and it didn't help me hear her all that well anyway....

-Chris

Anyone want to buy some headsets cheap? :D[/QUOTE]

Maybe. We have been looking. Pm me with details when you have a chance

John

ok, quick question....
instead of radio headsets, why not just buy bluetooth sets to connect with your cell phone? When you are approaching the dock, just call your first mate on the phone and communicate that way.

ok, quick question....
instead of radio headsets, why not just buy bluetooth sets to connect with your cell phone? When you are approaching the dock, just call your first mate on the phone and communicate that way.

And what if you need to communicate where you don't have cell service?

There's no question that cellphone service is a concern for some, but not for me.
$15-20 each for a couple of bluetooth headsets and I'm good to go.
If something happens and the bluetooth won't work, we can always SPEAK LOUDER.

There's no question that cellphone service is a concern for some, but not for me.
$15-20 each for a couple of bluetooth headsets and I'm good to go.
If something happens and the bluetooth won't work, we can always SPEAK LOUDER.

And your system fails you the one time you need it most. Also nice way to lose a cell phone overboard.

ok, quick question....

May work in the US but if you want to do that in, say, the Bahamas you will need to buy two SIMS and minutes.

And your system fails you the one time you need it most. Also nice way to lose a cell phone overboard.

Yes, it could fail....about as often as a radio headset.
And as far as dropping the cellphone overboard, you don't even need to have the phone on your body. As long as it is close by, you are good to go. We could have both cell phones sitting at the helm and we will get good reception.

Menzies...I'm never leaving the Chesapeake Bay, so I don't have to worry about additional services as needed in the Bahamas.

Not a fan of blue tooth because of syncing. Always on channel dedicated radio sets were what we used. I would prefer full duplex so one can talk over the other if necessary. I dont use voice activated or push to talk.

We do use bluetooth, both in our cars and in the house. We have 4 wireless phones scattered around the house so we can answer the cell anywhere in the house and don't have to go chase it down when ringing.
Guys, I'm not putting a gun to anyone's head and saying you must use bluetooth when docking. I'm just asking a "what if" question and looking for a radio headset alternative.
It's cheap and reliable. Maybe if I was a world traveler and docking my boat every other day, I'd go with the radio headset, but for my limited needs, bluetooth sounds like a good way to go.

Wifey B: :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes: Wow. Never? The Delaware? NJ Coast? Virginia Cut to NC? Are you wearing an ankle bracelet? :hide:

We do a fair amount of traveling...plane, car, cruiseship. Been to a number of US states and have plans for more. As far as the boat goes, we are more than happy to stay in the bay.

instead of radio headsets, why not just buy bluetooth sets to connect with your cell phone? .
That would certainly work but you don't have the use of one of your hands, Ditto, for the skipper. We've tried using the VHF radio on the bridge and the handheld for my wife but again, both hands are not available. SENA is the answer!

Attachments

• IMG_2638.jpg
    IMG_2638.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 84

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom