She says "size doesn't matter"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You really need to get out more. There's nothing real about an all inclusive resort.
From the fake smile when you check in to the artificial waterfall in the courtyard, to the grass that will shrivel up and die when you turn the irrigation off.
You're certainly right about it not being preferable to a lot of people.
Real to some of us means when you take a deep breath you smell the scent of fir not perfume on a hot day, you get a rush from seeing a sow grizzly with cubs from your tent not the kids in the next RV, or you feel the sweat cooling all over your body after climbing to the top of a mountain not after sitting at the concrete pool ordering ice tea at your all inclusive resort on a hot day.

Really? You think an all inclusive resort is real?

Wifey B: I love lot's of different things. From Glacier's in Alaska to Spa's on Hilton Head. :)

Have you been to a top all inclusive resort? I haven't, but I've been to spas and beaches at resorts. I think those that treat their guests well would be nice. I love the experience of soaking in a special spa or luxurious massages using many different techniques. I enjoy Abaco or the Exumas but also the resort at Atlantis. I loved getting in the RIB and exploring more closely some of the remote areas of Alaska, but I also loved Hollywood and the Studios.

I've never been in an RV but I've gotten incredible rushes from watching kids just as much as bears. Oh, and I don't wear perfume, due to hubby's allergies.

I'm lucky that I've had the chance over the past few years to experience different things. I think some of them you would have likely loved and others you wouldn't have liked at all and that's fine.

As to the all inclusive resort, just go get a really incredible spa treatment and massage somewhere and then tell me they aren't real. How is your body feeling incredible after not real?

Oh, and waterfalls in remote areas, sliding down them, zip lines over them, incredible. No more real than the massage though, just different. :)

I guess you'll never really know what I'm getting at until you go on a long, self propelled expedition/journey of your own...

I've done several, and other than a rafting/kayaking trip down the Rogue River with a bunch of buddies, my take away has always been some variation of "what a dumb idea that was!".

There are no bigger snobs than the "reverse snobs"... "more ascetic than thou" types.

Oh, and waterfalls in remote areas, sliding down them, zip lines over them, incredible. No more real than the massage though, just different. :)

We are of different worlds...zip lines and remote areas do not belong in the same sentance!!!

I've done several, and other than a rafting/kayaking trip down the Rogue River with a bunch of buddies, my take away has always been some variation of "what a dumb idea that was!".

There are no bigger snobs than the "reverse snobs"... "more ascetic than thou" types.

How long was your trip? Usually took me three weeks to shake the outside world off.

Maybe you're just tone deaf to it, if it seemed like a dumb idea?

Okay...how about this one...the feelings you have for a boat you build with your own hands will be more profound than one you buy.

Wifey B: I love lot's of different things. From Glacier's in Alaska to Spa's on Hilton Head. :)

Have you been to a top all inclusive resort? I haven't, but I've been to spas and beaches at resorts. I think those that treat their guests well would be nice. I love the experience of soaking in a special spa or luxurious massages using many different techniques. I enjoy Abaco or the Exumas but also the resort at Atlantis. I loved getting in the RIB and exploring more closely some of the remote areas of Alaska, but I also loved Hollywood and the Studios.

I've never been in an RV but I've gotten incredible rushes from watching kids just as much as bears. Oh, and I don't wear perfume, due to hubby's allergies.

I'm lucky that I've had the chance over the past few years to experience different things. I think some of them you would have likely loved and others you wouldn't have liked at all and that's fine.

As to the all inclusive resort, just go get a really incredible spa treatment and massage somewhere and then tell me they aren't real. How is your body feeling incredible after not real?

I've stayed at all inclusive resorts, I've worked at all inclusive resorts and later in my working life my companies biggest customer was a chain of all inclusive resorts.
Where I worked in the seventies, Frodo and Gandalf worked in the dining room.

Okay...how about this one...the feelings you have for a boat you build with your own hands will be more profound than one you buy.

Wifey B: Well, I love boating but I don't have the personal connection some do to a car or boat or even house. They're things and I love people. So, I don't know how profound one's love for a boat might be. I think it varies greatly by the person, but do believe if you built it yourself there would be a special and profound attachment (or a love/hate perhaps :lol:).

We have fisherpersons among our close friends and I know they sure love the fish they catch themselves more than any others. It's funny that they get the thrill of catching their own food even though they freely recognize it's the most expensive meal they ever have. We love eating what they catch because they're so happy about it. :)

That is not really what I was talking about when used the word "real"...
Maybe, by giving time to the underneath hidden meaning to infuse you may realize that I was maybe more referring to the realistic aspect of the local cultural experience.
And by the way, no intend at all to show any sign of superiority of my own opinion or experience, just an imaged way to answer the initial question by meaning that, for some, going simple and raw is a preferable way of experiencing things, so size does not matter, but experience and expectation are.

L

I guess you'll never really know what I'm getting at until you go on a long, self propelled expedition/journey of your own...

We are all on a long self-propelled journey..... or hadn't you noticed?

Oh, I don't know about that...just because you didn't see one doesn't mean the loop hasn't been done by very small craft.

Where you see limitations, discomfort, and danger, others see adventure. How about a 23 month, 12,100 mile canoe trip from Winnipeg, Canada, to the mouth of the Amazon?

The experience of a journey is completely dependant upon the method of travel.

We've sea kayaked for months at a time, and liken it to hiking or traveling by bicycle where you feel every breath of wind, notice the smallest details as they go by, and you physically work to earn your goal. Traveling by boat is a lot like traveling by motorhome.

I'll ask you this; two people travel the length of the Rocky Mountains, one by motorhome and one by hiking...which experience has more depth?

I agree Murray. You cannot buy a truly deep experience. And generally they do not come with a large bed and fluffy pillows.

As an example - I've watched the transformation in small Indonesian villages as they prepare for their annual cruise ship visit. The tourists are promised authenticity, but receive fake costumes, fake souvenirs, and fake smiles. The tourists get their "native" photo's and the locals get a few bucks for dressing in weird clothes. Then life goes back to normal.

btw - I got to know Dana Starkell after he did that canoe trip; He stayed at our backpacker hostel in Nelson BC for a couple weeks. He's a very interesting guy.

You guys crack me up. This thread is stating to remind me of last year when I simply asked how much tip I should give the kid who ties me up.

I think it costs more if he uses his own handcuffs and less if they are yours.....

Wifey B: "Depth" means the same as "real" and "authentic" above. It's someone attempting to insert a word to make their way of doing things somehow make them feel or look superior. :rolleyes:

Guess we had a more real, authentic, deep trip to Battery Park to catch the boat to the Statue of Liberty this morning because we walked there instead of taking a bus or train. But then our trip to the Statue wasn't deep at all as we took the cruise instead of diving in and trying to swim there. :whistling:
You could get even more depth if you made the trip in a submarine.

What if in the course of one's life, you have been there and done that? You have done the long solo self-propelled expedition, lived with the locals for months on end, seen the sunrise from Everest Base Camp, etc. Do you have to keep doing it forever?

At 17, I hitchhiked from Marrakesh to Goa, 10 years later I spent months in the high Himalayas trekking, a few years later I spent a month walking around Koh Samui sleeping on the beach and eating with the fishermen. Am I permitted to do something else now that i am 65 without someone taking a holier-than-thou attitude about it?

I have fought for my life in an Iranian alley, been lashed in a public square in Saudi Arabia and watched incoming MIRVs splash down in Kwajalein Lagoon, I think I have earned the right to experience the rest of my own life at whatever depth I damn well please.

Does the phrase "paying one's dues" have any meaning? Because I paid mine a long time ago......

What if in the course of one's life, you have been there and done that? You have done the long solo self-propelled expedition, lived with the locals for months on end, seen the sunrise from Everest Base Camp, etc. Do you have to keep doing it forever?

At 17, I hitchhiked from Marrakesh to Goa, 10 years later I spent months in the high Himalayas trekking, a few years later I spent a month walking around Koh Samui sleeping on the beach and eating with the fishermen. Am I permitted to do something else now that i am 65 without someone taking a holier-than-thou attitude about it?

I have fought for my life in an Iranian alley, been lashed in a public square in Saudi Arabia and watched incoming MIRVs splash down in Kwajalein Lagoon, I think I have earned the right to experience the rest of my own life at whatever depth I damn well please.

Does the phrase "paying one's dues" have any meaning? Because I paid mine a long time ago......

Wifey B: To me, retirement is not what you do but the ability and right to do whatever you want. If that's camping out in the woods it's fine or if it's sitting in a recliner in front of a tv. You paid your dues in some very difficult ways, but most have paid their dues along the way. The doctor who has seen 1000's of patients, the teacher who has taught a thousand first graders, the homemaker who raised 7 kids, the janitor who worked hard for 45 years. Sometimes it's doing the opposite of what you did all those years.

I can't imagine doing the things you did and enjoying some of the luxuries of life would surely seem desirable at this point. :)

This tread went meandering off the path when someone suggested nobody would do the loop in an 8 foot dinghy, so I gave a 12,100 mile canoe journey example and suggested that the experience could be ‘richer/deeper’ in a small craft.

I’m not saying boating experiences in larger boats are thereby meaningless, but using your Himalayan trekking example, would it be a similar experience if you could hop on a Greyhound bus and tour through those valleys?

We’re close to retirement and enjoy the comforts of our boat, but miss the direct contact with the elements. Last week I was motoring around in our dinghy and couldn’t hear the wing tip whistling of a flock of Surf Scoters, or the "gluck-gluck" sound Ravens make when they turn upside down in flight for the fun of it.

My wife’s Honda Civic got t-boned on the drivers side door by a Dodge Ram pickup driven by a guy having a seizure who had the gas peddle floored. The rules to the game of Life changed in a heartbeat and sea kayaking was out, so we bought a boat to get back out there and have our daughter grow up knowing what an amazing place we live in.

Hey... maybe that’s why I’m going all nostalgic today...because we’re not boaters by choice, but had it forced upon us by a random crap event...

Last edited:
I agree Murray. You cannot buy a truly deep experience. And generally they do not come with a large bed and fluffy pillows.

Wifey B: ummmm :ermm: :censored: how to word this.....:blush:

One can have some truly deep experiences in a large bed with fluffy pillows. :eek::rofl:

There are no rules on how you live your life as long as it's legal (or can get away with it)
There aren't even any dues to pay. It's your choice.

I don't think anyone was criticising how you live your life. The conversation was whether a larger boat lessens the depth of the adventure.

We've only agreed on a larger boat increasing the depth of the draft.

One can have some truly deep experiences in a large bed with fluffy pillows. :eek::rofl:

Which brings us around to the original point of this disaster of a thread, what size is appropriate?

Greetings,
Bravo Mr. dh. THAT'S a wrap!

200w.gif

Greetings,
Thank you mramoo...

200w.gif

Sincerest apologies to Mr. otis maximus (the OP). I hope you got a bit of information out of this...

Last edited:
Which brings us around to the original point of this disaster of a thread, what size is appropriate?

The size that the owner is safe and comfortable with . Its a personal choice the owner has to make themselves.

Back to the original question.
Nobody is doing it in an 8' dinghy. While it probably could be done in an 8' dinghy, the point of the trip isn't how small a boat use can use, how slow you can do it, how fast you can do it, or how big a boat you can do it in. This is a sightseeing trip. The object is to see and experience as much as you can along the way. Your boat is simply transportation and accommodations. As the boat gets smaller, one may have to make tradeoffs for space versus time versus money. While not important to some people looping, my boat has a washer / dryer. Clearly it's a luxury item versus going to the laundromat once or twice a week. Putting aside the cost of the laundromat, consider the hours lost. I enjoy a shower every night before bed. Get a small enough boat, and that may not be an option, or maybe a sponge bath. I like sleeping in a bed that wasn't designed for a midget. I like the option to heat or air condition my bedroom if necessary. If I've spent the day hiking the ridge line at Isle Royale, I want to return to the mother ship, have a hot meal, take a hot shower, and sleep in a comfortable bed. All those comforts allow me to enjoy each days treks refreshed, and to experience the loop with the least amount of wasted time trying to camp on my boat.

Ted

Back to the original question.
Nobody is doing it in an 8' dinghy. While it probably could be done in an 8' dinghy, the point of the trip isn't how small a boat use can use, how slow you can do it, how fast you can do it, or how big a boat you can do it in. This is a sightseeing trip. The object is to see and experience as much as you can along the way. Your boat is simply transportation and accommodations. As the boat gets smaller, one may have to make tradeoffs for space versus time versus money. While not important to some people looping, my boat has a washer / dryer. Clearly it's a luxury item versus going to the laundromat once or twice a week. Putting aside the cost of the laundromat, consider the hours lost. I enjoy a shower every night before bed. Get a small enough boat, and that may not be an option, or maybe a sponge bath. I like sleeping in a bed that wasn't designed for a midget. I like the option to heat or air condition my bedroom if necessary. If I've spent the day hiking the ridge line at Isle Royale, I want to return to the mother ship, have a hot meal, take a hot shower, and sleep in a comfortable bed. All those comforts allow me to enjoy each days treks refreshed, and to experience the loop with the least amount of wasted time trying to camp on my boat.

Ted

Great post. Conveniences can save time and free that time for seeing and experiencing the sights.

Then there are lifestyle changes some are willing to make and others are not. We shower every day and we put on clean clothes every day. Some are fine doing it less frequently and nothing wrong with that, but we're not comfortable doing so. It's like your shower.

We also found that after many days we were very tired when we got back to the boat. We had very busy days.

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance: :dance::dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless they have moved the loop, BC is a long way from the loop. (Do they have a western loop????)

The following is IMO and no one else's.

"The question I have is what are the advantages and disadvantages cruising in a 28 footer?"
It will get very small when you have a week of inclement weather.

IMO a V-berth is for those who do not like to snuggle. Exiting a V-berth with the insert installed? Awkward at best.

There are many great boats in the mid-30 range with many options. It will take time, build your list of 'must haves' and add in 'like to have' then go hunting on the computer. Ah, dont believe the posted pictures. If you are going to entertain the grandkids for any length of time, low 40 to mid 40s.

Things I noticed about my 34AT, that 'make into a berth' bench is uncomfortable and hard on my back. Very little hanging storage space.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom