New Nordhavn 72 owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MV Alchemy

Hello all

We moved over to power from sail earlier this year when we bought a Nordhavn 72 that we have re-named MV Alchemy (previously Shear Madness). We live on board full time (me, my wife and 6 year old son) and are currently in the Bahamas on a shake down cruise.

So far we love the stability and space of this boat compared to the 56ft Oyster sailboat that we sailed from the U.K. to New Zealand over the last 3 years. I just have to learn what all the buttons, switches, wires and valves do and try not to break anything in the meantime.

We look forward to meeting some of you on the water.

Tom
MV Alchemy

Welcome aboard!!!

Welcome Tom! You boating experiences sound amazing. I confess to a bit of envy.

You will learn the new systems quickly.

Hello all

We moved over to power from sail earlier this year when we bought a Nordhavn 72 that we have re-named MV Alchemy (previously Shear Madness). We live on board full time (me, my wife and 6 year old son) and are currently in the Bahamas on a shake down cruise.

So far we love the stability and space of this boat compared to the 56ft Oyster sailboat that we sailed from the U.K. to New Zealand over the last 3 years. I just have to learn what all the buttons, switches, wires and valves do and try not to break anything in the meantime.

We look forward to meeting some of you on the water.

Tom
MV Alchemy

Wifey B: I see you live in the World. Big place. What are some of your plans once you move beyond the Bahamas? First couple of years of trips? :)

Wifey B: I see you live in the World. Big place. What are some of your plans once you move beyond the Bahamas? First couple of years of trips? :)

We’re going to North Palm Beach this weekend then working our way up the east coast in June. We’re leaving the boat near Norfolk for a couple of months in July/August while we go back to the U.K. to see family then we’ll spend a couple of months cruising the Chesapeake. After that, down to the Exumas until December and then on to the Eastern Caribbean, ending up in Grenada for hurricane season 2019.

I’m exhausted just from writing all that!

Welcome Tom! You boating experiences sound amazing. I confess to a bit of envy.

You will learn the new systems quickly.

The crazy thing is that the first time I stepped foot on a boat was in a November 2014 when I crossed the Atlantic as a crew member. Things moved quite quickly from there!

Did you ever run into a guy named Ian Smith with a Oyster sailboat in NZ?

Hmmmm, you don't do things in a small way, do you. "Go big or go home."

Welcome aboard TF. Now let's see some photos.

hmmmm, you don't do things in a small way, do you. "go big or go home."

welcome aboard tf. Now let's see some photos.

IMG_0879.JPG

We’re going to North Palm Beach this weekend then working our way up the east coast in June. We’re leaving the boat near Norfolk for a couple of months in July/August while we go back to the U.K. to see family then we’ll spend a couple of months cruising the Chesapeake. After that, down to the Exumas until December and then on to the Eastern Caribbean, ending up in Grenada for hurricane season 2019.

I’m exhausted just from writing all that!

Welcome aboard.

We just got back from the Abacos yesterday. I believe I saw a yellow hulled Nordhavn anchored outside Marsh a couple of weeks ago?

We may see you up in the Chesapeake as we are cruising there June, July and August. I'll be the one stopping by to see if you have any Grey Poupon!

That's a dramatic avatar! Also, great to see a boat that isn't all white.

Welcome aboard.

We just got back from the Abacos yesterday. I believe I saw a yellow hulled Nordhavn anchored outside Marsh a couple of weeks ago?

We may see you up in the Chesapeake as we are cruising there June, July and August. I'll be the one stopping by to see if you have any Grey Poupon!

Yes, that was us. We saw you in our dinghy when you were anchored off Matt Lowe’s Cay. We were thinking of coming over to say hello but our 6 year old wanted to get back to the boat by then. Hope to see you in the Chesapeake.

Yes, that was us. We saw you in our dinghy when you were anchored off Matt Lowe’s Cay. We were thinking of coming over to say hello but our 6 year old wanted to get back to the boat by then. Hope to see you in the Chesapeake.

Make sure to read our last blog entry on Matt Lowe's - we got chased off the beach by a pack of dogs!!!

Give us a holler if you stop by Jax on your way north.

Yes - I know him well. Why do you ask?

Small world. I know his 94 year old father quite well ...Ian Sr.... and have met Ian Jr. several times during his visits to Punta Gorda. The last time was a few months ago just after he got his boat.

I'll mention this to Ian Sr.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Nordhavn's are great boats I cannot think of a boat I would trust more to cruise with my family aboard. I have spent a fair amount of bluewater miles on both 46's and a 57 and you should be really happy.
Fair Seas,
HOLLYWOOD

Welcome to the Dark side Tom. You’ll get used to the hot coffe/tea in the comfortable pilot house real quick. Just check those thrusters before the lines drop and its all good! Enjoy the new life and bigger boat.

CHeers!

Welcome, perhaps we will cross wakes in the Chesapeake Bay this summer.

Welcome! That’s a fine boat! Any issues with the draft so far in the Bahamas?

Welcome! That’s a fine boat! Any issues with the draft so far in the Bahamas?

Thanks! The Bahamas certainly aren’t the ideal cruising ground for a boat like this but it’s been fine overall. The only real issue is that we can’t get into the really protected anchorages so we’ve had to move quite frequently as fronts have come through and the wind direction has changed.

With a big boat comes a big dinghy (18ft with twin 60s) so we’ve been able to get around the shallower areas in that very happily.

Going to be some great adventures ahead! Good choice and welcome.

Thanks! The Bahamas certainly aren’t the ideal cruising ground for a boat like this but it’s been fine overall. The only real issue is that we can’t get into the really protected anchorages so we’ve had to move quite frequently as fronts have come through and the wind direction has changed.

With a big boat comes a big dinghy (18ft with twin 60s) so we’ve been able to get around the shallower areas in that very happily.

Wow. That size dinghy would be so cool. I’m so jelly! [emoji51]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom