Glendinning Cablemaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noregrets3

Vessel Name
NoRegrets3
Vessel Make
Mainship 43 Aft Trawler
I am looking for some information on installing a Glendinning Cablemaster in my 2000 Mainship 430 aft cabin. 1. Is there anyone out there who has installed one 2. Does anyone know how they run the wiring to the rear shore power plug. 3. I looked in the compartment were the steering gear is and there is no wiring running up to that plug. If anybody out there can give my some info I would really appreciate it. Stepping over that 50 amp cord while cruising is a real pain .

THANKS

I had one installed last year by my mechanic. He had never installed one but said the the factory was extremely helpful.

My cablemaster is in the lazerette...port side..running out aft just over the swim platform and the old plug was on the starboard side forward of the pilot house door. He used my old shore power cord to run from the breaker panel just under the pilot house through the engine room to the lazerette. I had him install 70' of new cord for the cablemaster.

I got the wireless remote too. Wouldn't do without it. Both the wireless and manual switch are on a breaker at the 12v panel under the pilot house. That way if someone kicks the manual switch it won't operate.

I got the wireless remote too. Wouldn't do without it.

Hey, thanks for mentioning that. I have a pair of remotes on the Eastbay we bought and I haven't yet figured out what they control. Looking at Glendinning's website tells me they might be for the Cablemaster. I've been using the manual switch under the gunwale.

Any suggestions on how to best unkink the last few feet that are in the tub? Mine's got a mess of tangles in what looks like the last 10 feet or so.

Or is the only real solution to disconnect it and untwist it down there in the tub/engine room?

Have you tried running it in and out while twisting the cable in the desired direction?

Will it carry the twist back through the rollers? Because where it's twisted is between the tub and the roller motor. But to answer your question, no, I haven't tried because the other day was the first time I got a look down into the tub and saw the problem. I wasn't sure if it'd be possible to untwist that section or not, thus asking here.

The cable is quite possibly original to the boat so it wouldn't be unexpected to need replacement. If I have to get all the way in there to get the old one loose it'd be tempting to just replace it. All that twisting can't have been good for the wires inside the cable. I'll look for any obvious signs of wear.

Glendinning is typically extremely helpful if you give them a call.

Ah, good suggestion. I haven't yet been able to figure out what model is installed, as it's tucked up into a part of the gunwale. I did manage to take a picture of it.

I've only just ordered some foam to help cushion my aged knees while crawling back to get a look at it. It was hassle enough just getting a look into the tub!

Attachments

• 20180428_112020.jpg
    20180428_112020.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 284
I picked up a kneeler and a larger folding pad. Soooo much better than my bare knees on the teak slats and fiberglass!

This is the mess in the bucket. And it's now raining buckets around here, so it'll be a few days before trying to untwist it.

Disconnecting from the main connection would be a fair chore as it snakes up and over to a junction box. Along the way going through a few holes (one you can see in the top of the picture). If I go through that much effort I'd probably be better served just replacing it.

I may consider using an extension for our home dock. To save from rewinding/twisting all the time. But the shore power inlet is on the port side (away from the dock) and the shore power post is about amidships. Though a standard 25' extension would probably only reach barely to the shore (back to the transom hawse pipe and across the 15' beam).

Attachments

• 20180515_161415.jpg
    20180515_161415.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Anyone had their Cablemaster switch stop working properly? Mine has a small toggle switch up under a gunwale, it has a rubber boot over the toggle. Just last weekend it decided to only operate in the unspool direction. As in, feed the line out. In either switch position. I'm wondering if it's the switch or something else at the controller. The back of the switch is in a position that'd require a contortionist to reach.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom