How big is too big???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings, Mr. 91. I've found that the amount of "stuff" one accumulates on board is in direct proportion to the space one has...
We don't live aboard so I cut down on this by emptying the boat of everything when winterizing it. All linens, cushions, galley gear... practically everything that's not bolted/screwed into place. This helps ferret out all the clutter that accumulates over the year. Magazines, flyers, receipts, half-used containers or whatever... It all gets "gone through" and what's not needed gets pitched. The amount that has to get lugged back/forth to the dirt reminds me not to make it any worse for next season.

Our yacht club has 10 outstations spread across the PNW. We have a 70’ max limit at most of the outstations. Therefore 71’ is too big. Now you know. LOL

Btw this is a video I took yesterday. This is how we leave the boat every time. Obviously the top bunk is storage because we have no choice.

https://youtu.be/1D__9JFzD_I

We’re really interested in this boat.

1987 Marine Trading Tradewinds 47 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

We really want the space because of all the crap a 4 yr old and new born require.

Plus having 3 cabins means we could actually bring friends and family with us for overnights and nobody has to sleep on the couch.

Wow... that is a very good sundeck right there. (At least thru the pictures) Engine room looks like it need a little love and I didn’t look at the specs, but it is reasonably priced and has pretty modern electronics. I’d get on a plane and go get a closer look at that one. Good luck.

1987 Marine Trading Tradewinds 47 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

We really want the space because of all the crap a 4 yr old and new born require.

Plus having 3 cabins means we could actually bring friends and family with us for overnights and nobody has to sleep on the couch.

If that boat has the space for all the crap a 4 yr old and newborn require, your kids require head and shoulders less crap than my grandkids. But the boat does look good. Have you checked on possible hurricane damage issues? Condition of fuel tanks?

Ha well we learn to pack light.

Fuel tanks are original, which sucks. The broker is really nice and offered to schedule a face time video walk through so we can get a better look at the boat before taking the time to see it.

There’s also this boat.
Used 1990 Sea Ranger Motoryacht Aft Cabin, Brunswick, Ga - 33904 - BoatTrader.com

It is only a 5 hour drive away, but hais some wood damage. Plus the sun deck has been closed in, but I’m sure it can be reverted back to being open like we like. It’s got 2000 hr cats and is a 1990. But I think I’d prefer the smaller straight 6 over the monster V8’s

What do you guys think?

I live on an 83' boat. My normal cruising is the North Pacific. I like the size for comfort, living conditions the large size allows, the ride and safety in the ocean.
I haven't been on the East Coast in a long time, but in the PNW, ports or marinas that cater to commercial fishing are more accommodating to big boats. Ocean fishing boats usually are above 50'. 80' slips are common. But I haven't used a marina since 2011. When cruising I anchor. The only docks I touch are commercial fuel docks. I carry a boat for supply trips. I have a private dock where I winter. When I solo, I have to plan my dockings, but to me there is no downside to a big boat. Yeah it's more maintenance, but I've been doing boat and ship maintenance much of my life. I'd rather do that than mow grass or trim bushes.

For us mid 40'sx15' is minimum without an inside helm and full width interior. At that size you can have decent side deck and still have full width cabin.
Inside helms take up a lot of room so i would want 55' or so if that was a requirement.

I agree with you our 46 we love it but the inside helms is a waste of space and not to mention a bit more maintenance.

So we thought the same thing when looking for a boat, no inside helm. But one thing I’ve noticed is it’s not always plensent weather and there are times I’m heading up the ICW in the rain and I’m soaking wet and pretty miserable and all I can think of is “man it’d be nice to be able to go downstairs right now”. But another thing is with two kids they want to be downstairs and my wife with them. Gets a little lonely up there at times.

I’m thinking the lower helm would be very useful.

......but the inside helms is a waste of space and not to mention a bit more maintenance.
:iagree: We looked for 3.5 years before we found the model we wanted that didn't have an inside helm. It came with a small dinette which we use all the time. Besides, when running the boat the view from the flybridge is superior to an inside helm. If I were in a climate that is cold or gets a lot of rain I would have an inside helm.

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
:iagree: We looked for 3.5 years before we found the model we wanted that didn't have an inside helm. It came with a small dinette which we use all the time. Besides, when running the boat the view from the flybridge is superior to an inside helm. If I were in a climate that is cold or gets a lot of rain I would have an inside helm.

This boat in key largo has an inside helm, 3 bedrooms and also a small dinette. We were actually just talking about how useful one would be. It’s good to know they are usefull. Plus it could give the kids another place to play.

Yes very similar I see some things I like about yours over ours

Would you mind PMing with some details? We’d love to hear your thoughts. Only when you have time.

It looks nice in the photos. My only concern would be the 30 gallon holding tank. Is there room for a larger tank? We have 40 and consider it marginal. Would love to have the 80 gallon tank we had in a previous 46’ we had. We have the 225 Lehmans. I think the difference may be no intercoller on the 185s. So far we love the Lehmans.

It looks nice in the photos. My only concern would be the 30 gallon holding tank. Is there room for a larger tank? We have 40 and consider it marginal. Would love to have the 80 gallon tank we had in a previous 46’ we had. We have the 225 Lehmans. I think the difference may be no intercoller on the 185s. So far we love the Lehmans.

I think it has two 30 gallon tanks. I agree, we have 30 gallons on our Mainship and it’s not enough.

I really wanted to find a boat with Cummins engines, but the Lehman’s seem to be similar enough.

I think it has two 30 gallon tanks. I agree, we have 30 gallons on our Mainship and it’s not enough.

I really wanted to find a boat with Cummins engines, but the Lehman’s seem to be similar enough.

Ok. Then that would not be bad.

A couple of PNW observations, Washington to SE AK. Boat size over about 50' excludes you from many small anchorages mostly due to swing radius. And if you don't have a lower helm, you will hate yourself as you endure the wet and cold.:D

This guy doesn't to have any issue, false creek Vancouver, not tiny but pretty tight

Attachments

• WP_20180512_20_31_39_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180512_20_31_39_Pro.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 141
What is too big

Well interesting stuff. I had a 32' Ericson sailboat for 20 years, then it became too small. I bought a 1989 Lien Hwa 47. Much like the Marine Trader mentioned earlier. Loved the boat. Perfect for me. 2008 struck economically and I had to sell her. I recently desired a newer version of the same boat but, its like looking for hens teeth. Offshore 48's in late 90's were too costly. Meridians, not my style. Gave up on the age angle and we are now purchasing a 1991 Californian 55. Besides the cost of purchase, berthing, and maintenance I am concerned that it will be too big for the wife and I. By the way, she is the one who wanted it over a Cal 48 we were looking at. For me, I wanted a nice galley with a full size frig/freeze. A dinette, large sun deck with wet bar, fishing cockpit, heavy davit for a good console dinghy, etc. It was really hard to find a boat much past the '80s like this. Everyone wants to go for a sedan but I don't want to sleep in the V berth. Too bouncy, too noisy, not enough locker space. I had been shopping for about a year. Finally bought an old boat, well maintained. Sea trial is this coming Wednesday May 16th.

we are now purchasing a 1991 Californian 55. Besides the cost of purchase, berthing, and maintenance I am concerned that it will be too big for the wife and I. By the way, she is the one who wanted it over a Cal 48 we were looking at. .

There will be no practical difference that would make the 55 too big for the two of you as compared to the 48.

Don't like climbing ladders or long stairs or the exaggerated motion of a flybridge. Also, spent enough time in an open cockpit on sailboats, and usually get enough ventilation in a pilothouse bridge with 1/2 (Dutch doors) or two open doors.

Being able to easily to step off readily mid-deck onto a floating dock just three steps from the helm is very handy when docking.

Attachments

• coot with sails.JPG
    coot with sails.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
So we thought the same thing when looking for a boat, no inside helm. But one thing I’ve noticed is it’s not always plensent weather and there are times I’m heading up the ICW in the rain and I’m soaking wet and pretty miserable and all I can think of is “man it’d be nice to be able to go downstairs right now”. But another thing is with two kids they want to be downstairs and my wife with them. Gets a little lonely up there at times.

I distinguish between a "lower helm" and a "pilot house". The pilot house being a separate raised space for operating the vessel with good visibilOn ity such as found on the Krogens, Nordhavns, Tugs, Defevers, Willards and others.

What I have seen over the years is that the majority of those with a pilot house operate the vessel from the pilot house rather than from the upper helm. Whereas the majority of those with a lower helm operate the vessel from the upper helm as opposed to the lower helm.

On Bay Pelican we used the upper helm at most once a year if it was a tricky docking situation because the visibility was 360 degrees.

Would you mind PMing with some details? We’d love to hear your thoughts. Only when you have time.

Of course just sent you a PM I am in Germany working for a few more days but feel free to give me a call anytime

Easy ladies. We’re moving up from our 31’ Mainship. We really want 3 cabins and that means upper 40 foot range. Something like a Marina Trader 48’ from the 80’s. We live in Charlotte, NC and want to move the boat around FL, Bahamas, and up and down the east coast. Are there any limitations with a boat of that size? We can get into pretty much anywhere with our 31’ but it seems the larger boats slips are limited.

Maintaining two heads/holding tanks instead of one (for example) could be more work... but may or may not be a drawback depending on value to you.

We were looking at various larger boats that might be suitable for our purposes (really just a Happy Hour exercise) and decided that of two equivalent length vessels, one with 2 and one with 3 staterooms... we'd prefer the 2-stateroom version. Generally it means each area is slightly (or even largely) less-cramped.

About the last thing we'd want is "friends" on board overnight... so we even got rid of the sleep sofa... and gave the spare stateroom to the ship's cat.

:)

But seriously, are the kinds different gender? If so, I'd guess you'll eventually need a stateroom for each anyway...

Can't disagree with you, but there are such things as enclosed flybridges.

Ours got a little chilly when we left Myrtle Beach in 22°F last January, but the greenhouse effect got us further along without serious strain.

Here, I'm just mentioning that in case you come across a boat that is otherwise suitable/attractive but doesn't have a lower station...

-Chris

...About the last thing we'd want is "friends" on board overnight... so we even got rid of the sleep sofa... and gave the spare stateroom to the ship's cat.:)-Chris
I`ll wager the cat moving into the spare stateroom was more take than give.:)

Our 34' Tolly tri cabin has great layout; interior and exterior. Occasionally spend long weekend with four adults aboard [us and two others] having no problem at all. Also had grand son stay weekends with us. 98% of the time it's just Linda and me with a fast tow behind runabout for added play time.

We looked at larger boats... for where we boat, decided to stay with 12'6" beam 34'er due to her being a great boat at LOA 37'. She fits really nice into 40' berth; which is available at majority of mariners.

I believe: When choosing a "pleasure boaty"... take all things into consideration. Remember - There IS a Trade Off for Everything!!

Attachments

• Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Coop and Me 11-1-14.JPG
    Coop and Me 11-1-14.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Taune w- Harlow & Linda on Bridge.jpg
    Taune w- Harlow & Linda on Bridge.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg
    Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 81
I`ll wager the cat moving into the spare stateroom was more take than give.:)

Yep, you know how cat's work. What's hers is hers, what's mine is hers, what's yours is hers... :)

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom