Greasing propeller shaft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
How does one determine one has injected enough grease into a shaft bearing?* On my VW Bug, I pumped grease into the fittings until grease popped out.

Attachments

• greasing prop shaft.jpg
    greasing prop shaft.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 79
You don't want to pump in so much that you blow out the seal, but if you pump slowly and stop just as you hear the air escaping you won't blow the seal.

Another and much better method is to install an automatic greasing unit. One of those cups rervoirs with the spring inside. You can get them from any industrial supply house or thru McMaster-Carr online. The are about $20 and you can install the cup someplace convenient and use a length of hydraulic hose to feed the bearing. The greaser will keep some pressure on the bearing seal to make sure moistrue stays out.

*I had this system on my old Mainship for many years and it worked great.

-- Edited by jleonard on Friday 18th of November 2011 05:59:29 AM

Attachments

• greaser.png
    greaser.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 132
The yellow cap on that bearing indicates it has been supplied with a Sealmaster proprietary grease. Any good EP grease will work.

Without knowing the type of seals used on that bearing, the best advice is to gently grease it until you see some old grease extruding from the seal.

Sealmaster sells an automatic greasing system that produces 70 psi so let that be your guide ... don't apply 1000 psi very rapidly by greasing it like you did your car or you will blow out a seal and those roller bearings will fail in short order.

Thanks, Rick and jleonard.* Appreciate the mention of EP grease.

:thumb:
You don't want to pump in so much that you blow out the seal, but if you pump slowly and stop just as you hear the air escaping you won't blow the seal.

Another and much better method is to install an automatic greasing unit. One of those cups rervoirs with the spring inside. You can get them from any industrial supply house or thru McMaster-Carr online. The are about $20 and you can install the cup someplace convenient and use a length of hydraulic hose to feed the bearing. The greaser will keep some pressure on the bearing seal to make sure moistrue stays out.

*I had this system on my old Mainship for many years and it worked great.

-- Edited by jleonard on Friday 18th of November 2011 05:59:29 AM

Thanks ! A very good idea for the price ! Another thanks !!

Obviously a different setup on ours with a white metal bearing.
10 pumps every ten hours in the stern bearing
Same in the cooper bearing half way along
And one in the rear seal of the gearbox.
All have remote nipples to make it easier

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom