Cape May NJ question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
Some friends of mine from Seattle might be coming out East to crew on my boat this summer, and they are tentatively planning on leaving the boat when we arrive at Cape May, NJ. Any ideas concerning how they might get from Cape May to an airport? As I recall, Cape May is a pretty small town. Thanks.

Some friends of mine from Seattle might be coming out East to crew on my boat this summer, and they are tentatively planning on leaving the boat when we arrive at Cape May, NJ. Any ideas concerning how they might get from Cape May to an airport? As I recall, Cape May is a pretty small town. Thanks.

They can take the NJT bus to Atlantic City. From there, they can easily get to Philly, either by train or bus.

Last edited:
There are limo services and some uber/lyft.

Prices are up near $200 (not sure how it varies with multiple peoplel to the Phila. Airport.)

Busses can be done but are a struggle in terms of time unless you catch the rare expess busses.

Pretty good service from Atlantic City Airport. And if not a train with one swap to Phila. Airport is a snap and only $30 or so. Might be worth pulling in there by boat unless money is not that big a deal then car (limo or uber) isnt bad.

Enterprise auti is around and a one way dripoff to Philly may not be bad, but often dropoff fees are a killer.

The run from Cape May to Baltimore can be made in a long day if you time the currents. That day would ostensibly be spent traveling from Cape May to Philly, likely at considerable cost. So, depending on travel plans for the boat, that may be an option and fly BWI.

Another option might be to do the run up the Delaware to Philly, there are destination places there that might be interesting and closer to the airport.

Cape May is rather isolated in regards to air travel.

Or just drop them in AC instead, depending on where you are starting out from. Cape May is worth spending a day visiting.

I would continue the cruise up to Atlantic City. Easy cab or jitney ride to AC International. From there Spirit Air has regular service.
If not then rent a car one way to the airport then one way to CM when you come back.

IF you chose to anchor in Cape May it is a place where an anchor retreval buoy is almost manditory.

The coasties drag large thick cables off the back of their boats into the bay.

Last one I lifted was slowly parting new USA made 5/8 nylon before I could rig a hold and free the anchor.
A good load for a hyd windlass , probably a cut loose for most electric units.

BE WARNED!

IF you chose to anchor in Cape May it is a place where an anchor retreval buoy is almost manditory.

The coasties drag large thick cables off the back of their boats into the bay.

Last one I lifted was slowly parting new USA made 5/8 nylon before I could rig a hold and free the anchor.
A good load for a hyd windlass , probably a cut loose for most electric units.

BE WARNED!
There is cable junk on the bottom in the anchoring areas but it’s not from the coasties . It’s from the dredging companies that store their equipment there in between jobs.

and a huge amount leftover from old navigation structures and the Navy.....

The anchorage on the Brigantine side of Absecon Inlet is way nicer and a short dinghy ride over to the AC marinas.

if they are going to be cruising, You should just make Philly part of your plans. Stay at the marina at Penns Landing. All of the historic sites are a short walk from the marina: Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Carpenters Hall, National Constitution Center, Elfreths Ally, Betsy Ross House plus dozens of others. From the marina, a cab or Uber is a 5 mile run to the airport with direct flights to almost anywhere.
John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom