12' fiberglass dinghy options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
I'm looking to replace the pig rubber ducky I have with likely a fiberglass 12' dinghy. Candidates need to row well (rubber duckies don't). While I will row it some, much of the use will be with an outboard. Not looking for the dinghy to plane, but it needs to be able to negotiate 1 to 2' seas.

Presently considering a Gig Harbor 12' Point Defiance. Curious what other boats might be available in that size from other stock or custom manufacturers.

Ted

Is this going to be the primary dinghy? I'm not sure I would want to have to bring one of those into a dinghy dock all the time. I'm sure it's very doable. I'd like the idea of an inflatable and the Gig Harbor. I love the idea of something that I could row, sail, or mount a motor on.

Walker Bay makes a 10', but it doesn't look nearly as cool as the Gig Harbor.

The Dyer Dink is 10' as well.

Portland Pudgy is only 7"8"

Cape Dory's are in 10' and 14'

I can't find much that is 12'. Custom built is an option.

I have the next size down from the Pt Defiance. It is the Navigator. I’ve been very happy with it. Rows and sails well. Runs very nicely with my Torqeedo outboard.

I can’t get rid of my RIB because my wife would capsize the Navigator as she has become used to the stability of a RIB.

I’ve always admired the Trinka 12. They used to be built in Miami and I got to know the builder, Mark Johannsen, pretty well. The Trinka 12 Yacht Tender

Weight and rough handling ability would make Aluminum a better choice than GRP.

We had a Gig Harbor Navigator also. It sailed great, was a pleasure to row but performance was fair with our OB. I guess two out of three isn’t bad though.

I’d try to find something that wasn’t designed as a sailing dinghy first if your primary perpulsion is a motor.

While it's bigger than you were probably thinking, the livingston 12 that we tow/use by itself, has been a joy. I've not rowed it yet but it comes with oar locks. Ours is rated to 25hp. We've got a 20 on there and it will plane with 4 light people. The rough water abilities far exceed any other 12er I've seen. And of course, the space inside is awesome.

Attachments

• 20180420_071628.jpg
    20180420_071628.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20180420_071611.jpg
    20180420_071611.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 66
We have a GH 14' Whitehall. Rows really well, not so sure how good it would be with an Outboard.
While I will row it some, much of the use will be with an outboard.

With that being the case, I would really consider an aluminum Tinnie. My choice would be a welded Tinnie like the Gregor. We used to use a 12' Valco as a tender, but changed over to a 13' Gregor (no longer available). Great to fish out of, explore with and will row.
Bill

Tinnie’s don’t sail. Nor do Livingstons.
The Stur-dee looks like a planing dory-skiff.
Here’s my Point Defiance.

Attachments

• F25C1FAE-B60C-4C21-AA4C-F4F69E370DF0.jpg
    F25C1FAE-B60C-4C21-AA4C-F4F69E370DF0.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 50
While it's bigger than you were probably thinking, the livingston 12 that we tow/use by itself, has been a joy. I've not rowed it yet but it comes with oar locks. Ours is rated to 25hp. We've got a 20 on there and it will plane with 4 light people. The rough water abilities far exceed any other 12er I've seen. And of course, the space inside is awesome.

I have the same boat with a 15hp planes with 2 people very easy and really handles waves well

I have an 8’ “Fatty Knees”, I think they make a larger model. It’s the nicest dink I ever had in over 60 years of boating. It is stable & rows very well and has an optional sailing adder. I think it’s also the best looking dink.

Attachments

• 0AE30B52-68ED-4A6E-A837-F8CC6AF69EFC.jpg
    0AE30B52-68ED-4A6E-A837-F8CC6AF69EFC.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 41
  • AEC3977E-B6D3-435F-9381-3FF2D94952C4.jpg
    AEC3977E-B6D3-435F-9381-3FF2D94952C4.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 48
The “Fatty Knees” also has a spot for an outboard & goes very nicely with a 3 hp.

Indeed 1sailor,
A FD dinghy doesn’t need even 2hp. In post #10 my FD dinghy is at half throttle or less w a 4hp engine. Same engine (powerhead) as the OMC 3hp.

Back
Top Bottom