Need a pump for my RIB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
I lost my old foot pump for my RIB. I think it went overboard. I need to replace it. Anyone have a suggestion for a good manual pump for the RIB?

Contact the place you bought the RIB.
Push come to shove, I suspect any place that sells RIBs can sell you a generic foot pump.
West Marine sells a foot pump.
These folks sell some:
https://inflatableboats.com/Inflation-Pumps_c41.htm
If it is a special pump, I guess you can contact the manufacture.

I use the output from my wet/dry vac.

Contact the place you bought the RIB.
Push come to shove, I suspect any place that sells RIBs can sell you a generic foot pump.
West Marine sells a foot pump.
These folks sell some:
https://inflatableboats.com/Inflation-Pumps_c41.htm
If it is a special pump, I guess you can contact the manufacture.

I use the output from my wet/dry vac.

I was thinking of getting away from the foot pump. I think they are a pain. The RIB came with the boat when we bought her two years ago. I can get a generic pump, as most have a set of adaptors that cover most RIBs. However, just wondering if anyone has found one they really like.

I've got a couple electric air pumps, one AC and one DC. The DC one is Coleman, as for inflating air mattresses. The AC one is two-way (blows and sucks) and it's orange; that's all I can remember about it. :)

Both are good for bulk filling (the AC one being faster), but then it's still usually necessary to "top off" the RIB with a foot pump.

The orange one is really necessary when we really do need to deflate (suck). Not as important now that we seldom do that with this RIB after we got the trailer for it, but it was almost mandatory for the roll-up we had before.

-Chris

Last edited:
We have a plunger T handle generic one,quicker than the foot pump. Keep the connector end you have, you might need it for the generic pump hose.

We have a plunger T handle generic one,quicker than the foot pump. Keep the connector end you have, you might need it for the generic pump hose.

Yeah connector ends were attached to the hose which was attached to the pump, which I think is a the bottom of the Sound.

Orphan air pumps are all over the place. Any store the sells used or salvaged marine parts probably has a few of them.

You could give Aaron at Longship Marine in Poulsbo a call (360-779-2378). He is pretty darn knowledgable. Tell him what brand you have for an inflatable, and he can advise what is in stock - before you drive up.

If you have not been there before, it's a neat shop. Lots of good second-hand gear. We picked up an anchor there on the last visit.

IMG_2650.jpg

I got this, no pump needed.

You could give Aaron at Longship Marine in Poulsbo a call (360-779-2378). He is pretty darn knowledgable. Tell him what brand you have for an inflatable, and he can advise what is in stock - before you drive up.

If you have not been there before, it's a neat shop. Lots of good second-hand gear. We picked up an anchor there on the last visit.

Good idea. Although, that is a dangerous place for me to walk into. There is always something that don’t need but somehow have to have.

Found 3 at a Salvation Army thrift store once. Apparently they are used for other products. The end fitting can be fairly unique. What brand RIB?

you can also look into pumps used for kiteboarding, i used mine for the inflatable once and was really pleased, they work more like a bicycle pump but move a large volume of air as they work on both directions of the cycle.
HOLLYWOOD

I use a K-Pump. Not cheap, but moves a lot more air than the little foot pumps. Very stout.

Search "K-Pump" on Amazon to see sizes.

I have both a T handled plunger type pump and a foot pump that came with the RIB. Much prefer the T handle pump. Works much faster, and I thinks it's easier to use. I bought mine at a local chandlery but have seen them on Amazon.

I had a 'blow-out' on the bellows my foot pump, so now I'm looking for a new solution too.

I dislike working a foot pump, but I do appreciate that they can be collapsed and are easily stored in a small form factor. I like a manual pump because I tend to prefer NOT to use stored or generated energy unnecessarily if I can. With an electric pump, you need either available 12v, or 12volt with an inverter or a generator running, or shore power. My mind plays scenarios where there is no available power or a failure of the electric pump or any dependent systems.

I've been considering a vertical T-style pump. The admiral suggested a 12V electric (hopefully reducing any loss associated with inversion) and a footpump backup in storage.

We keep the dinghy blown up all season, so I think I can live with a single inflation and the occasional 'top-off' if necessary, which is very rare.

I guess there is no answer here, just me talking out loud.

I use a K-Pump. Not cheap, but moves a lot more air than the little foot pumps. Very stout.

Search "K-Pump" on Amazon to see sizes.

I was looking at those. Seem to pump a lot of air and not take a lot of space.

Sort of on the same subject, when our air deck 11' inflatable has been completely deflated I keep a Home Depot bucket boss shop vac ( uses a 5 gal paint bucket which also has many uses aboard) to air up the boat as far as it will go, then top off the boat to working pressure with the manual pump.. it takes less that 2 minutes from flat to done. just swap the hose to the exhaust side and use a clean bucket.
Gone are the days of pumping till one drops..
HOLLYWOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom