Do rail mounted grills make a mess?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a mini that I’ve smoked shoulder and seared rib steaks on, but typically off the boat on a picnic table. The things you need to deal with. First, they get seriously hot on the bottom. Don’t set them on gel coat. I had a thick stone tile with me and it was still borderline. Second is that they are heavy, even the mini. I had not thought about a rail mount because of the weight, but maybe you will make it work.

I will say this. They work wonderfully. My mini came home one winter as I don’t like it away from me where it can be easily stolen. I cook on it as much at home as my large egg. I like having more than one ready and at hand! Has not been back to the boat for some time.

I have a mini that I’ve smoked shoulder and seared rib steaks on, but typically off the boat on a picnic table. The things you need to deal with. First, they get seriously hot on the bottom. Don’t set them on gel coat. I had a thick stone tile with me and it was still borderline. Second is that they are heavy, even the mini. I had not thought about a rail mount because of the weight, but maybe you will make it work.

I will say this. They work wonderfully. My mini came home one winter as I don’t like it away from me where it can be easily stolen. I cook on it as much at home as my large egg. I like having more than one ready and at hand! Has not been back to the boat for some time.

Here is the knock off from Sams Club
It has a stand of sorts, but my plan is to support the weight with a main rod and have it lashed to railings for upright support....will let you all know when I am done...I want it to be easily removable also.

We have a Magma Kettle grill pole mounted over the swim platform. I rotate it over the side as much as possible. It makes a mess cooking burgers. Grease splatter hits the deck and swim platform. It has a catch tray with no way to drain it except tilting it into the water. If you do dump it by tilting, the wind better be blowing away from the boat. We don't need the larger models but they may be cleaner.

We drilled two 1/8" holes in our drip tray and use wire to hang a soup can under them, no problem.

We also cut down a 15" pizza stone to fit our 13" Magma and lay that on the grill. Great pizza and the juiciest meat ever as it cooks in it's own juice, no flare ups and very little grease ever goes in to the soup can

Attachments

• PIZZA FINAL.jpg
    PIZZA FINAL.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2914.JPG
    IMG_2914.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2979.JPG
    IMG_2979.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Go back to post 57. That is the best setup I have found. The Weber 1200 U Bolted on a fish cleaning table is as good as it gets. It holds heat and does not glow red like a Magma. Magmas are known to jump off their mounts, Chase you around the deck just to burn you to the bone. Or just brush up against it.
The Weber only weighs 35lb and should be hung outside the rail. They have a disposable drip pan, very clean. The EGG has got to be heavy + the aggravation of charcoal ash.
Check with Marine Liquidators for $60-70 leveling fish cleaning table that plugs into rod holder. Griddle accessory option available for Weber. I have had multiple grills over the years. Weber 1200 for a boat is the best from my experience. Just not shiny and yachtie looking but it sure cooks good. The black blob on my boat pic to left is my covered Weber.

Last edited:
Go back to post 57. That is the best setup I have found. The Weber 1200 U Bolted on a fish cleaning table is as good as it gets. It holds heat and does not glow red like a Magma. Magmas are known to jump off their mounts, Chase you around the deck just to burn you to the bone. Or just brush up against it.
The Weber only weighs 35lb and should be hung outside the rail. They have a disposable drip pan, very clean. The EGG has got to be heavy + the aggravation of charcoal ash.
Check with Marine Liquidators for $60-70 leveling fish cleaning table that plugs into rod holder. Griddle accessory option available for Weber. I have had multiple grills over the years. Weber 1200 for a boat is the best from my experience. Just not shiny and yachtie looking but it sure cooks good. The black blob on my boat pic to left is my covered Weber.
Weber Q's have always been my grill of choice for all the reasons mentioned. We have been struggling to mount, until now. Thanks for the mounting info.

Totally love mine! I use it often, no mess!

Attachments

• DD560C26-7F21-4E70-8477-74B6E5CFB9E4.jpg
    DD560C26-7F21-4E70-8477-74B6E5CFB9E4.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 41
It holds heat and does not glow red like a Magma. Magmas are known to jump off their mounts, Chase you around the deck just to burn you to the bone. Or just brush up against it.

Check with Marine Liquidators for $60-70 leveling fish cleaning table that plugs into rod holder.

Have to admit, our old Magma has never turned red, jumped off it's mounts, nor chased me around the deck...

:)

FWIW, Magma sells fish-cleaning tables that fit in rod holders. In fact, just the rod-holder adjustable mounts, if you like; I screwed one onto a teak tray so one of our Happy Hour tables looks less like a fish-cleaning table.

-Chris

IMG_1525917959.964561.jpg

I haven’t noticed any mess. The tray catches anything that falls off and doesn’t burn.

Don't have photo. Should take one. Our Magma has been rail mounted for 9 years. Never had any trouble nor drips off the catch pan. I do use lightweight, disposable, vented/fluted metal inserts when grilling sloppy food. Great for grilling vegies too.

Just fire her up. Place on low medium or high flame; depending on food type and heat need. Close the lid. Survey food at time spans. Serve. Eat. YUMMMMMY! :thumb:

Our circular Magma Grill is on a cantilever arm,which puts it over water or over the swim step. One or 2 nervous moments with food rolling on the grid,but no mess on the boat.
All it needs now is a new ss plate over the burner(stamped out of thin ss flat plate),a mere $75,replacing the badly rusted original.

Back
Top Bottom