Bermuda cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are looking for adventure and experience with a blue water crossing and Gulf Stream, then Bermuda gives you a destination, about 700nm from most of the NE and mid atlantic to Charleston. You can take a break there, buy expensive diesel, then head back to East Coast.

If you're primarily looking to explore this tiny country and it's many little islands, I'd save the 8-10 days of boating and fly. I like the harbor boat historic tours.

I've done it both ways over the past 35 years. We just had a Norfolk to Bermuda trip planned on a 44' trawler in mid June -but postponed due to family event.

You can certainly find lower cost options there. Perhaps anchor in Castle Harbor and dinghy to dock at Airport or under the adjacent bridge to get to Hamilton. Stay at B&B's. Eat "local". Ride the bus- it's inexpensive and you can sit up top and enjoy the sun. A day pass will take you to all the towns for a handful of dollars. The town ferries are also reasonable.

I enjoy the town St. Georges. Great to boat and people watch. Even spent an evening in jail there about 8 years ago- and that was quaint and they were very polite.

Emergency healthcare in Hamilton is good if you need it.

Want to Splurge? Head over to Tucker's Point. You can eat at the resort without staying there. You can cruise around the Mid-Ocean Club. BS your way through the gate, and check out the homes, and views, on Tucker's Town Rd.

I went for 2 weeks last year for America Cup and that was special- if you enjoy the world of megayachts.

Any way you do it, Bermuda is pleasant.

The boat that PassageMaker took to Bremuda was a Willard 30.

Yachting published a story on one of the early N37's going over in good weather.

https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/bermuda-high

As I recall, N37 was in the company of at least one N46 and re-fueled from the N46 via a garden hose while underway. The author recommended the voyage not be duplicated. The intent was to prove the design of the N37 and, they did prove it. They did have a very good weather window and they knew it.

If you're primarily looking to explore this tiny country and it's many little islands, I'd save the 8-10 days of boating and fly. .

Wifey B: Fly? :nonono: That's no fun. 8-10 days? :confused: Are you rowing? Even 600 nm at 6 knots is only 4 days. :ermm:

It was an interesting article. I’m not sure what special preparations were done other than paravanes. They did say they installed racor filters as well. It’s surprising they didn’t check the condition of the fuel until after they returned.
Another surprise was the comment about the Willard’s midship berth not being comfortable in rough water. My boat is very similar to a Willard 30 and I find the midship berth the best spot in the boat in rough water. Down low in the center is usually best in most boats.
The general sea conditions overall sounded somewhat more benign than I expected after reading all previous comment about the dreaded Gulf Stream.

Last edited:
Small motor boats have been crossing the Atlantic , no fuel stop for many decades..

Voyaging Under Power, 4th Edition - Page 7

https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0071767479
Robert P. Beebe, ‎Denis Umstot - 2012 - ‎Preview

Understandably enough, this feature caused a good deal of discontent among the crew of four when Detroit entered the open Atlantic. However, the engine performed flawlessly, and Detroit arrived in The Low was not well laid out for the crossing, either. She was 38 feet long with a 34-foot waterline, 9-foot ... The voyage was made by a Frenchman named Marin-Marie, who was the official marine painter to the French gov- ernment. Marin-Marie had been a small- boat sailor all his life.

I remember reading that article in Passage Maker, Bill P the editor and chief at the time. All about the weather window, always wondered why more power boats have not done it, or at least write about doing it. I know in my yard they sold a large Grady White boat that they really loaded up with fuel bags to make it over, never heard how it went though.

Have seen several large sport fish leave from Hatteras, NC to make the crossing. They added large plastic chemical tanks on the back decks for the additional fuel requirement. It looked pretty sketchy, but at 20 to 25 knots you really only need one to two really nice days. Don't know if they tournament fish over there.

Ted

B&B:

Sorry, 8-10 was for round triptime on the water.
For some reason I thought they may wish to return to US ;)

Bermuda is enchanting but only so much variation in activity...and no day trips anywhere else!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom