View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 01:52 AM   #47
Whodgins

City: Antalya, Turkey
Vessel Name: mv Möbius
Vessel Model: XPM78 eXtreme eXploration Passage Maker, Naval Yachts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
There is a long running discussion about building an AL sail boat on the Cruising Forum that might be of interest to readers of this discussion as well as the OP. The discussion on CF was started by the owners of the new AL boat who have years of live aboard experience on an AL sail boat. There are some very interesting design discussions on that thread that might be of interest. I have gotten quite a number of good ideas from the CF thread.

Bestevaer 49ST - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

On the 122 page CF discussion, which is still going, there is an interesting discourse of what to do with the AL deck. One of the surprising bits of information was the heat transfer of even slightly off white colors. The paint discussion is around this link, Bestevaer 49ST - Page 46 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums.

The Bestevaer boat is all AL and has 75mm of spray insulation and they have not had problems with heat transfer INTO the hull.

Great ideas/information on that discussion.

Later,
Dan
Hi Dan, Thanks for alterting me and others in this thread to this other discussion on AL hulls. We too learned how much even the slightest bit of colour adds dramatically to the heat transfer from the sun. I'll spend more time reading over this other discussion and watching for additional ones as well. Always anxious to learn from the experience of others.

Thanks again Dan
Whodgins is offline   Reply With Quote