Just got hit head-on by a sailboat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we all need to just agree to disagree. There is no way SeeVee is going to change his view, no matter what we say...and I'm sure the OP's issue will all be sorted out fine.

I think we all need to just agree to disagree. There is no way SeeVee is going to change his view, no matter what we say...and I'm sure the OP's issue will all be sorted out fine.

Peter,

I totally agree. You're not going to change my mind, nor the minds of thousands of others that have been screwed. For the most part the sheep just accept what the insurance company deals out when there's a claim... and that's a choice. I decided to get what I paid for.

And we can agree that insurance is only a risk/benefit decision (or maybe we can't).

There's LOTS of situations where the service is not there or the corruptions is bad and the industry gets a bad name. Trial lawyers have that reputation as do politicians. And there are others.

So, we can just agree to disagree and put this behind us.

Again, I've made NO insults to individual persons on this forum and expected to be treated the same.

Last edited:
I think there is a bias against insurance companies because they only come into play when there's been a loss. No matter how great the company is, while they may make you financially whole, they can't make you emotionally whole. There's just no way a check can replace a boat that you've become emotionally attached to, and then there's the hassle factor, because its going to take time to assess, investigate and process a claim, so no one ever says "Gee that fire was the best thing that happened to me"....
For the most part though, the insurer's do what they are paid to do. It is one of the most heavily regulated professions there is. Every rule that an insurance company makes, every rate calculation, every settlement determination method, has to be approved by the state office of the insurance commissioner.

I'd be willing to bet there are many more instances of people trying to screw their insurance company than vice versa.

My boat insurance agent called me last night. He wasn't selling anything. We just caught up on what's going on in our lives. He's a friend.

If I ever have to make a claim, he'll have my back if the insurance company doesn't treat me right.

I think insurance agents are an important part of the experience you have with an insurance company.

:thumb:
My boat insurance agent called me last night. He wasn't selling anything. We just caught up on what's going on in our lives. He's a friend.

If I ever have to make a claim, he'll have my back if the insurance company doesn't treat me right.

I think insurance agents are an important part of the experience you have with an insurance company.

That's great to have a good relationship with you agent. I've got that two, but the agent was helpless when the company wouldn't respond faithfully (State Farm). The agent is still my friend, but have no policies with him. I've got another very good friend that left the insurance business because of all the hassles.

It is unfortunate but many insurance companies and companies that warranty their product's look at claims as some thing they should attempt to wiggle out of. I have had bad experiences with Yanmar and General Motors. In the end with effort I won both claims but their intent was clear make it very difficult to collect on a valid claim.

What was the final outcome of this allision, Michael? Did you get your boat fixed to your satisfaction and paid for by the guy's insurance company?

Since this thread has come back to life I’ll tell you of a recent experience with my insurance company.

Possum sank during Hurricane Irma. I let my agent know and called a salvor to raise her. About three days later an insurance adjuster was looking at the boat and declared it a total loss. In less than a month I had been paid the full amount of the policy, which was probably a little more than I could have sold her for before the storm. They also didn’t quibble over the price to raise her. Paid the salvor in full. I’m very happy with their service.

My agent is Peter Tyson in Vero Beach. The insurance company was Chubb. The salvor was Byrd Diving and Salvage. I highly recommend all of them.

Since this thread has come back to life I’ll tell you of a recent experience with my insurance company.

Possum sank during Hurricane Irma. I let my agent know and called a salvor to raise her. About three days later an insurance adjuster was looking at the boat and declared it a total loss. In less than a month I had been paid the full amount of the policy, which was probably a little more than I could have sold her for before the storm. They also didn’t quibble over the price to raise her. Paid the salvor in full. I’m very happy with their service.

My agent is Peter Tyson in Vero Beach. The insurance company was Chubb. The salvor was Byrd Diving and Salvage. I highly recommend all of them.

Nice to hear a good aspect to a sad story. Thanks for sharing.

A few years ago while anchored in our North Channel, we were hit broadside by a U.S. boat. The guy with a 38' sailboat who by " his own admission," lol ... had over 80 yrs. of sailing experience that's why he was sitting on a 20 lb Bruce anchor with 10' of chain and the rest nylon rode that did not hold. I let him re anchor then I went over and we exchanged info, I took photos etc. When I did not hear from him in awhile, I got hold of this guy and the pr*ck denied ever coming by my boat. With that, I contacted his Ins. Co. who in a round about way told me to settle with him. The damage was substantial and I was told by my Ins. Co. that once they get involved ( fault or not ) it's a claim so .... I'm on my own! Long story short ..... I got few more estimates and ended filing in Ontario Court against the pri*k and his Ins. Co. Lo and Behold !!, his Ins. Co. was willing to settle for .50 cts. on the dollar which I eventually did or it was going to be death by discovery and litigation. Naively, I found out that a Court can rule in your favor, but they have no power nor are they interested in collection. This and few other things over 25 - 30 yrs. leads me to believe that there is NO honor in our fraternity, our fraternity revolves around; what's in there for me, denial, obfuscation, delay and lies. 8 times out of 10, you will get screwed over by another boater, supplier, contractor or whom ever ..... Sorry ......You Are On Your Own ! sad to say ...... fb

Possum sank during Hurricane Irma.

So what’s the plan for Possum?

Really very nice to hear!!! our home town of Thomasville is home town of many of the Chubb family and I do not do business with them but hearing this I should I am not happy with my insurance company on the boat

Thanks for the info

A few years ago while anchored in our North Channel, we were hit broadside by a U.S. boat. The guy with a 38' sailboat who by " his own admission," lol ... had over 80 yrs. of sailing experience that's why he was sitting on a 20 lb Bruce anchor with 10' of chain and the rest nylon rode that did not hold. I let him re anchor then I went over and we exchanged info, I took photos etc. When I did not hear from him in awhile, I got hold of this guy and the pr*ck denied ever coming by my boat. With that, I contacted his Ins. Co. who in a round about way told me to settle with him. The damage was substantial and I was told by my Ins. Co. that once they get involved ( fault or not ) it's a claim so .... I'm on my own! Long story short ..... I got few more estimates and ended filing in Ontario Court against the pri*k and his Ins. Co. Lo and Behold !!, his Ins. Co. was willing to settle for .50 cts. on the dollar which I eventually did or it was going to be death by discovery and litigation. Naively, I found out that a Court can rule in your favor, but they have no power nor are they interested in collection. This and few other things over 25 - 30 yrs. leads me to believe that there is NO honor in our fraternity, our fraternity revolves around; what's in there for me, denial, obfuscation, delay and lies. 8 times out of 10, you will get screwed over by another boater, supplier, contractor or whom ever ..... Sorry ......You Are On Your Own ! sad to say ...... fb

In today's case the guy already showed a bit of his character without even commenting or saying he was sorry or saying "thank you" for the help.

Yours is just the type I was referring to. No police report, then just deny. You deny to your insurance company and have no police report and they sure are not going to pay. That leaves the injured using their own insurance and paying a deductible.

My mother was once at a motel in Daytona Beach, on her way back home to NC. A pickup truck hit her car in the lot but was gone before she could get out there. However, housekeepers saw it, got the license number, and the owner had been staying there. Got the police and shockingly they said they'd notify highway patrol. However, by the time, the guy had crossed the line back into GA. In spite of a police report and witnesses, he denied hitting it to his insurer. They were sympathetic but said they couldn't pay if their client denied and no judgement had been won. My mother's insurer paid 100% and meanwhile the driver had a warrant out for his arrest in FL. Could have sued but had to make many trips to GA. We just hoped that one day the guy sped in FL or something and got stopped and ended up tossed in jail over the warrant.

So what’s the plan for Possum?

The insurance company sold Possum to a nice fellow who is restoring her.
She is in a boat yard on the Miami River. I had her engine box at home during the storm and also some engine manuals that I dropped off to the boat. He had started doing a nice job of cleaning her up.

Attachments

• CE72240C-973B-41DB-9E4B-DBAFDDEA42E6.jpg
    CE72240C-973B-41DB-9E4B-DBAFDDEA42E6.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 9CE4EE6C-9B33-4DD8-B6FC-E069B8BC29E6.jpg
    9CE4EE6C-9B33-4DD8-B6FC-E069B8BC29E6.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 75

Nice to see your post regarding your experience. Yours was such an odd situation although I'm sure many others had strange occurrences as well. You were all smart enough not to risk your own safety for Possum. Chubb has a good reputation and glad that proved the case for you. Yours was pretty straight forward. Yours is an example of good agent with good insurer and choosing good vendor in Diving and Salvage.

Hope the buyer is able to do a good restoration. Is it strictly an individual or does the buyer have a yard or facility or something enabling them to do the work easier?

Nice to see your post regarding your experience. Yours was such an odd situation although I'm sure many others had strange occurrences as well. You were all smart enough not to risk your own safety for Possum. Chubb has a good reputation and glad that proved the case for you. Yours was pretty straight forward. Yours is an example of good agent with good insurer and choosing good vendor in Diving and Salvage.

Hope the buyer is able to do a good restoration. Is it strictly an individual or does the buyer have a yard or facility or something enabling them to do the work easier?

I’m pretty sure the buyer is just an individual. His spoken English isn’t great but we communicate by text message without a problem. I had the engine pickled within 24 hours of refloating Possum. He has since gotten it started.

I think the biggest job will be replacing all of the plywood cabinetry. There is a lot of teak veneer and Formica covered plywood. I’m sure that will all be damaged. The whole electric system should be replaced as well.

Really very nice to hear!!! our home town of Thomasville is home town of many of the Chubb family and I do not do business with them but hearing this I should I am not happy with my insurance company on the boat
We have Chubb for homeowners and cars. Both boys have totalled cars when they were young, and Chubb just cut a check for, I believe, agreed value. Absolutely no hassle, and none of the horror stories of other companies.

BUT, they're not cheap policies. Chubb has an excellent reputation, but also one for costing a bit more than the others.

Never had boat insurance through them, though.

Last edited:
We have Chubb for homeowners and cars. Both boys have totalled cars when they were young, and Chubb just cut a check for, I believe, agreed value. Absolutely no hassle, and none of the horror stories of other companies.

BUT, they're not cheap policies. Chubb has an excellent reputation, but also one for costing a bit more than the others.

Never had boat insurance through them, though.

One gets what they pay for it would seem.

She is in a boat yard on the Miami River. I had her engine box at home during the storm and also some engine manuals that I dropped off to the boat. He had started doing a nice job of cleaning her up.

Damn that sucks. At least someone is bringing her back to life.

Oh wow. Sorry for your loss, Parks. I'm glad everything seems to have worked out, though, and glad Possum has a fighting chance still. Is there another vessel in your future?

Oh wow. Sorry for your loss, Parks. I'm glad everything seems to have worked out, though, and glad Possum has a fighting chance still. Is there another vessel in your future?

Hi Dave, I’m thinking about a replacement but I’m still trying to figure out retirement. My wife and I both have health issues that make dealing with a big boat difficult so no rush. I have no shortage of small boats to play with. Went for a ride on my friends 25 ft Aquasport over in Punta Gorda Florida last week.

This and few other things over 25 - 30 yrs. leads me to believe that there is NO honor in our fraternity, our fraternity revolves around; what's in there for me, denial, obfuscation, delay and lies. 8 times out of 10, you will get screwed over by another boater, supplier, contractor or whom ever ..... Sorry ......You Are On Your Own ! sad to say ...... fb
The concept of honor, a handshake and integrity are either long gone or on the wane. And, sadly this behavior is more common than naught. Makes me appreciate the good relationships when I find them. Everything is suspect until something is proven.

What was the final outcome of this allision, Michael? Did you get your boat fixed to your satisfaction and paid for by the guy's insurance company?

The other guy's insurance company cut me a check which covered all the repairs. Was a pretty seamless process. I took the boat to the local boatyard, they provided me with a quote to repair the damaged gelcoat and bent pulpit, and I sent the quote to the guy's insurance company. Got the check a few weeks later, had the work done, and it's a distant memory...until I anchor and see a boat heading my way...at which point I wonder if they are going to turn so as to not run directly into me. :eek:

The last guy that hit me was achored at dinnertime, but rammmed me at 0230.

The winds kicked up to 20, and while the rest of us layed in the same direction, this guys motorsailor decided to start sailing on the hook so wildly, they would relocate but stayed awake with the engine running to a daybreak departure.

Parks,
Firstly please accept my condolences on the loss of your trawler "Possum"

I feel I must also give some praise and thanks to my insurers after Hurricane Irma. Sadly as some of you know I had hauled in Virgin Gorda BVI's for the hurricane season. Where she suffered as Irma came through. My Brokers :Blue Water" in Fort Lauderdale (Mark Spink) provided excellent help dealing with the Insurers Lloyds. Payment was received once Surveyors had been and assessed. I was just one of many countless claims they were dealing with in the Caribbean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom