Too close at anchorage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Been anchoring off Angel Island here and there. The last few times sailboaters have dropped anchor way too close for comfort, then as their anchors set, got even closer.

How do people handle this? On each occasion I've just continued to stare at them with the "you can't be serious?" facial expression. On each occasion, the captain has pulled up and reset their anchor further away from me.

I'm still a bit traumatized from being hit by that sailboat while I was anchored, and I certainly don't want a repeat of that.

I probably would have said something had they not moved, but fortunately in both cases they figured it out on their own.

How do you all handle these situations?

Thanks,
Mike

Call me crazy, but I deploy fenders when near other boats.

Attachments

• coot at mildred.jpg
    coot at mildred.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
My pet peeve.

Crank up the devil music to ear shattering levels as they approach is one method I have used
Death stare and point away ranting that we swing wildly in a breeze is another.

In a couple of months time we will have arms made from 6 x 6 alloy box section and with those lowered our beam will be close to 50ft.
I am hoping that'll help.

I'm the same as mark, I don't worry much, I just drop some fenders.

Usual way to start is going to the bow and watching, most people get the hint. Add to it by calling"Careful, I`ve got X feet out, etc". Or just tell him "you are too close, you`re creating a collision risk". He won`t want his boat damaged either, and you were there first.
Trawlers and sailboats often swing differently,which makes it more critical. The danger is real and fenders are a headache tablet not a cure.
Failing that,follow Simi`s ideas of bad behavior. Even start the genset :D.

Meatloaf at full volume and all the guys dancing naked on the foredeck while the women hide down below. Works every time. Not sure if it is the choice of music or the dancing that does it.

The protocol is; "The last boat in is the first boat out" if problems occur.

They are supposed to take into account everybody else's rodes (all chain or combination), what the wind & currents are doing or may do, and what the tidal range is.

The protocol is; "The last boat in is the first boat out" if problems occur.

They are supposed to take into account everybody else's rodes (all chain or combination), what the wind & currents are doing or may do, and what the tidal range is.

Unfortunately many boaters today do not care or can’t be bothered by protocol or even respect for others. Not like it used to be on the water. Although you are absolutely correct with the protocol. Now we just need to spread the word...

"Not like it used to be on the water."

In the past folks went from small to large boats.

Today with a credit card a 50fter with a joy stick to dock is the starter boat.

Bitch wings.

Stand on the foredeck with arms akimbo, watch intently. If that doesn't help, then a friendly "Hi!! Welcome to the anchorage! Do you think it might be easier for you to move now, or in the dark at three in the morning??"

Snugglers..... :banghead:

In the past in a tight anchorage , or when in a slip with a side open to an unskilled transient ,

sending a lady friend on the fore deck with a PIKE (yes sharp pointy red pole from fire house) was usually a message easily understood.

Been anchoring off Angel Island here and there. The last few times sailboaters have dropped anchor way too close for comfort, then as their anchors set, got even closer.

How do people handle this? On each occasion I've just continued to stare at them with the "you can't be serious?" facial expression. On each occasion, the captain has pulled up and reset their anchor further away from me.

I'm still a bit traumatized from being hit by that sailboat while I was anchored, and I certainly don't want a repeat of that.

I probably would have said something had they not moved, but fortunately in both cases they figured it out on their own.

How do you all handle these situations?

Thanks,
Mike

Happens everywhere ....... :banghead: Just tell him you got 200 feet of chain out, at least that's what one guy shouted out to me when I just cruised through one ( 20' ) anchorage looking for a spot. At this point, I'm more concerned when I see a large power boat coming to anchor ahead of me with a 10 lb. Danforth hanging over the bow ..... LOL

fb

Would it help to put a buoy on your anchor using a sacrificial string?

Even when I am the only boat at anchor the next boat always seems to anchor too close and up wind. I guess they figure I know the best spot.

Tight Anchorages are part of the deal on the weekends at SoCal anchorages. The regulars don’t sweat it, or give out nasty stares with their hands on their waist. People do watch for someone setting too close to their anchor which is usually someone inexperienced, not evil intentions, and it normally takes a friendly call out to explain and and they will adjust.

"Not like it used to be on the water."
In the past folks went from small to large boats.
Today with a credit card a 50fter with a joy stick to dock is the starter boat.

I always say they are two types of people that have boats. What you described is a boat owner, Than you have the boaterThey are the ones that take the time to learn all about boating.

Bitch wings.

Stand on the foredeck with arms akimbo, watch intently. If that doesn't help, then a friendly "Hi!! Welcome to the anchorage! Do you think it might be easier for you to move now, or in the dark at three in the morning??"

Snugglers..... :banghead:

Very good one!!!!

In a crowded anchorage (e.g. Block Island Great Salt Pond during the weekend), I'll anchor in as shallow water as tides and my draw allow (keeps most sailboats away), but that means you're surrounded by other shallow draft powerboats that swing widely in wind. I'll always attach an anchor buoy. I'll watch as boats anchor near me, and based on my scope and their scope, and wind direction, I'll ask the boat to move if I think they're too close, With all chain, my scope is relatively short, maybe 60' in 5 feet minimum water. If high winds and storms are forecasted, I don't leave the boat. Unfortunately, watching poor anchoring habits and boats dragging is part of the entertainment at BI. As a general rule, I avoid places like BI on the weekends. As a last resort, if closely surrounded by crazies, I'll move to deeper water further from shore.

If anyone gets too close for comfort and doesn't take the hint, just request their insurance information "in advance, just in case your boat hits us in the middle of the night."

I feel lucky that up here where I am cruising, the places where I am anchoring are mostly desert.

L

If anyone gets too close for comfort and doesn't take the hint, just request their insurance information "in advance, just in case your boat hits us in the middle of the night."

This is a good idea on several levels! It gets the point across without being rude and if anything happens the new arrival can't evade responsibility. Making it about insurance removes a bit of the emotion involved in criticizing another's seamanship.

Many of the anchorages in our area very crowded. It used to bother us too. The one thing I've found is, no matter how right you are, and/or how wrong someone else is, they will never accept that criticism gracefully, no matter how nicely you tell them.

I had a guy this week blame me for almost hitting him when he cut in front of me. Last week my sister in law got rear-ended at a stop sign. The person that rear-ended her was outraged that my sister-in-law "Stopped abruptly in front of her" (at a stop sign).

About the only thing I'll do is if someone drops close and is floating over my anchor, I'll mention if I plan on leaving in the morning. They don't have to leave, but they will assisting with my departure if I need to nudge the over to retrieve my anchor. :)

About the only thing I'll do is if someone drops close and is floating over my anchor, I'll mention if I plan on leaving in the morning. They don't have to leave, but they will assisting with my departure if I need to nudge the over to retrieve my anchor. :)

I do that also, but if it looks like they have anchoring skills it doesn't bother me. I have had my pulpit even with the swim platform a couple of times when pulling my hook. Their reaction when they look and see how close I am is priceless.

Thanks,
Mike

We had to learn our lesson the hard way too: never anchor in Sucia Bay if the tall ship Hawaiian Chieftain is there. They sleep very soundly and don't keep an anchor watch, human or electronic. Although, after waking me at 5:00am one morning with a hard bump, they probably do now!

Kind of on the same. Anchored in a cove and a sail boat anchors behind you. Then complains about the smell of your generator.

I started my 3208s covering his boat with smoke and he pulled anchor........

Call me crazy, but I deploy fenders when near other boats.

Mark,
I know .. it’s just that you’ve got so many friends ya never know when one will show up and slam into your rail brandishing bottles of something.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom