Maine Cat P47 powercat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mod45

Veteran Member
I'm looking at a couple of Maine Cat P47 powercats. I haven't found much online since there's only been about a dozen of them made. I've also looked at PDQs, Leopards and Fountaine Pajots in the same size range. I'm curious if anyone has any experience running or owning a Maine Cat? The little bit I've found online hasn't been good, but could be a disgruntled owner. Hopefully some trawler types have given it a look? Any input is helpful, thank you.

I really like the Fountain Pajot MY 44, tough to find used in the USA. Looking into the Maine Cat I found the same negative things you did. Endeavour has a pretty good used market and a solid following..

Also have you checked out Aspen?

The FP 44 is awesome but no way would I have pods on a powercat. Having owned IPS drives before, I think they’re great for casual use but too fragile for cruising. I’ve looked at Aspen too but don’t want to buy new.

Regarding the Maine Cat, the bad stuff seemed to come from one owner who claimed a ruptured water tank - was that all you found?

If I was in the market for a Powercat in that size range, I would check out the PDQ41. I was able to help in a delivery once and I was very impressed with layout and the ride in some snotty conditions.

I’d have to agree with Poke. The PDQ 41 may still be the most efficient of the over-40 powercats. Solid build, well planned, nice layout, perhaps a bit more stark interior than some of the latest, but very hard to beat as a package. Endeavours suffer from the function over form design, not as efficient as the PDQ, but for a live aboard and spaces that please Mama, you can’t get better for the size. Bob Vincent and the Endeavour team are terrific support. The 40 and 48 Sky Lounge boats are true condos on keels. The most recent bargain I’ve seen is the Aquilla 44 and 48. Efficient, tremendous layout and priced well. A few used ones are coming on the market from charter fleets now, and the three statefoom units are very comfortable. If you don’t mind not having a full beam master stateroom, the Manta 44 gets an honorable mention. My 2 cents.

I’d have to agree with Poke. The PDQ 41 may still be the most efficient of the over-40 powercats. Solid build, well planned, nice layout, perhaps a bit more stark interior than some of the latest, but very hard to beat as a package. Endeavours suffer from the function over form design, not as efficient as the PDQ, but for a live aboard and spaces that please Mama, you can’t get better for the size. Bob Vincent and the Endeavour team are terrific support. The 40 and 48 Sky Lounge boats are true condos on keels. The most recent bargain I’ve seen is the Aquilla 44 and 48. Efficient, tremendous layout and priced well. A few used ones are coming on the market from charter fleets now, and the three statefoom units are very comfortable. If you don’t mind not having a full beam master stateroom, the Manta 44 gets an honorable mention. My 2 cents.

Nice write up. I am also a Powercat fan and you make some great points. I did see an Aquilla at the recent boat show here. Very nice boat and priced well. And like you said, I shopped the used ones and they are in the 500-600k range with about as many hours coming out of charter....at about 3 years old. I do like the Endeavours too but I like to have a flybridge. And like you said, the PDQ 41s are really nice boats and damn efficient. Not many used on the market.

I've been on the last few PDQs that have come to market. Lots to like, but ultimately found the quirky Yanmars from BMW potentially problematic. Also the interior quality falls short compared to other powercats, especially given the asking prices.

The Aquilas are very nice, but their range and fuel efficiency leaves a lot to be desired.

I've been on the last few PDQs that have come to market. Lots to like, but ultimately found the quirky Yanmars from BMW potentially problematic. Also the interior quality falls short compared to other powercats, especially given the asking prices.

The Aquilas are very nice, but their range and fuel efficiency leaves a lot to be desired.

True, the Aquila is short on tankage, but the MPG figures don’t seem all that bad to me. I thought a lot about the PDQ 41 and when testing, the boat did everything I wanted it to do, but the Admiral didn’t like so much bare fiberglass in the interior. I’ve often wondered how much weight it would add to satisfy her tastes while staying conscious of the cat’s weight sensitivity.

Of course, in a search for efficiency, looks and range with a well appointed interior, I can see why you’re leaning toward Mainecat. It’s slipery and a handsome downeaster in its non-flybridge form. I keep looking at the flybridge model but can’t seem to make up my mind about it. Have you looked at a Journey power cat yet? How about Africat? Not many around.

Of course, in a search for efficiency, looks and range with a well appointed interior, I can see why you’re leaning toward Mainecat. It’s slipery and a handsome downeaster in its non-flybridge form. I keep looking at the flybridge model but can’t seem to make up my mind about it. Have you looked at a Journey power cat yet? How about Africat? Not many around.

The flybridge definitely opens it up quite a bit. I called about the Journey cat but I don't think it's an active model anymore. Maybe they'd still build you one but they seemed surprised when I asked about it. Not a lot of Africats around. Modern powercat options under 50ft are basically FP, Leopard, Aquila and whatever's floating around on the used market.

Yes I agree with you about the Pods..but damn that MY 44 FP is really beautiful, many like FP like to use the Volvo, another negative IMO, even Aspen specs the Volvo..There are a few American companies like Armstrong that will build a nice Aluminum Cat just the way you want, I might investigate that further..

FP also makes the summerland, I think they market it is a long range blue water Cat.

The negatives a read about Mainecat was about how some warranty work was handled, some shoddy work coupled with unwillingness to correct. It was a number of years ago and I only got one side of the story..please keep us posted on your research, thanks..

Did you see the 2005 cross water cat on yacht World? A little beemie 25’ but looks like it’s in good shape..

Yes I agree with you about the Pods..but damn that MY 44 FP is really beautiful, many like FP like to use the Volvo, another negative IMO, even Aspen specs the Volvo..

FP also makes the summerland, I think they market it is a long range blue water Cat.

The negatives a read about Mainecat was about how some warranty work was handled, some shoddy work coupled with unwillingness to correct. It was a number of years ago and I only got one side of the story..please keep us posted on your research, thanks..

I have no problem with the Volvo engines other than parts being pricey.

Regarding FP, agree the 44 is a stunner. I got into an argument with the regional sales person when I said I wasn't interested in the 44 because of the pods. I think they're living in a fantasy land if they want to position their cats as bluewater cruisers with pod drives. I had a hard enough time getting decent service in Florida, can't imagine in the Caribbean. Sadly they discontinued the Summerland and larger Cumberland. I haven't been on one but they look fantastic on paper. Replaced the Summerland with a smaller shaft driven 37 (no pods), but it's a little tight for me.

One of the Maine Cats had blisters which concerns me. It's really a crapshoot because there is virtually no feedback online.

It really is a crapshoot , a $500,000 crapshoot. I am in the same place as you..my interest in the 50’ range in a P Cat is tricky..The Maine Cats are pretty much custom builds with few actually completed and info is scarce..

I also like the narrower beam which rules out a few builders, having a reputable company behind the brand is important...these points ended up crossing the Mainecat off my short list.

The best company support and feedback at this point is Endeavour, I met with Bob at a boat show, I have heard they are supportive of both used and new clients..The design is just a little bulky for me..

I spoke to the guys at Aspen, they where responsive and friendly, what do you think of the single engine Hull design at Aspen?

I also like the narrower beam which rules out a few builders, having a reputable company behind the brand is important...these points ended up crossing the Mainecat off my short list.

I spoke to the guys at Aspen, they where responsive and friendly, what do you think of the single engine Hull design at Aspen?

The beam is important to me, would prefer to have one that can fit in a normal sized slip. If it wasn't a priority, would probably circle back on the big Leopard. It's not perfect but at least there's a company churning them out every year that specializes in cats.

I think the Aspen looks really slick, but haven't been on one yet and would like to see them build a few more. Also single engine problem - what if it craps out when you're on the hook?

The beam is important to me, would prefer to have one that can fit in a normal sized slip.

We were seriously considering an Endeavour 44' powercat until we called the local marinas and found we would have to have a 60' slip due to the beam. They would charge the 60' rate also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom