Boating on a windy day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherAlyssa

Vessel Name
Heather Alyssa
Vessel Make
Mainship 350/390
So a sailboater pulled into their slip last night “bow in”. He normally backs in but it was dark, he was cruising solo and there was some wind. This afternoon (While I’m detailing my cabin interior) he decides to turn his boat around in the slip with a slip neighbor. It’s breezy today. Gusts have to be in the 20’s. I don’t know. As I’m cleaning up, I hear this god awful sound of boat against boat crunching. My boat is moving around with the noise so I realize it’s me. I look outside and this guy is pinned to my boat by the wind while his hull scrapes along my anchor platform. I spring into action and jump on his boat to help out. After a 20 minute fight with the wind we managed to get his boat in. Not a “thank you” or “sorry about your boat” is ever uttered from the boat owners mouth. Thoughts?

First, it sounds like your boat was not damaged, correct?

I'm sure he was embarrassed by this experience. None of us wants to appear incompetent when we're operating our boat.

If he's your permanent neighbor, bring him a beer and reassure him that it happens to everyone from time to time. If he's a transient, forget about it.

I have my own thoughts, but will keep them to myself. Just to say we had one club member’s sailboat had a dead battery. The dock hand at the marina the club was visiting brought down a battery and jumper cables. Got his boat started and helped him off the dock. The captain did say thanks, but I never saw a $10 or $20 pass over to the dock hand. Draw your own conclusions.

I would get an estimate to repair your pulpit and give it to him.

+1 to what Comodave posted. Embarrassment doesn't trump a "I'm so sorry".

Well if you damaged his boat you would expect to pay for it right?

It was slightly damaged. Some fiber glass gouges and scuffs.

I would have asked him for his insurance information on the spot.

As to preserving a relationship, I don't care about one with a boater who didn't know what he was doing and damaged my boat, who I assisted and didn't even get thanked, who damaged my boat and said nothing. He's the inconsiderate buffoon. You were decent and helpful.

Sorry, I just do not suffer fools gladly. I would have been polite but would have been clear that he damaged my boat and his insurance was expected to pay for it. Had he said he would and not to report to insurance, I would have still insisted on his insurance information as often people say that and don't follow through. Hope you took photos of both boats damage. Wouldn't surprise me a bit for him to deny hitting your boat.

Well, he’s a multi season slip holder and he’s two slips away. He’s not going anywhere. I’m going to take pictures right now and then get an estimate at the yard then present it to him. I’m going to give him a few days to process his actions. There were about 5 other slip holding boat owning witnesses who all came to his aid and stood at the dock.

Just a side note, this is the same guy that every time I say hi to him, he never replies. Also the same guy (Just learned this after the incident) that had his neighbors ask to move to the other side of my boat so they didn’t have to listen to his and his girlfriends BS.

Last edited:
Well, he’s a multi season slip holder and he’s two slips away. He’s not going anywhere. I’m going to take pictures right now and then get an estimate at the yard then present it to him. I’m going to give him a few days to process his actions. There were about 5 other slip holding boat owning witnesses who all came to his aid and stood at the dock.

Just a side note, this is the same guy that every time I say hi to him, he never replies. Also the same guy (Just learned this after the incident) that had his neighbors ask to move to the other side of my boat so they didn’t have to listen to his and his girlfriends BS.

Every day you delay contacting his insurance lowers your probability of collecting anything.

Yeah, I really don’t like any type of conflict, but I think BandB has it right. Speak to the owner right away, tell him that you are going to get an estimate to fix the damage to your boat and need his insurance information.

Yeah. You’re right. I can’t believe he didn’t stop by to talk to me after that.

I'm all for maintaining neighborly relations...but if this guy doesn't even return a greeting, say "thanks" or care about your boat....there are no neighborly relations to maintain here.

Benthic2 you are so right. I shouldn’t have to worry about making things weird and upsetting him even though he’s two slips away.

The guy sounds like a serious #$$hole. Wish I could be there to see you hand him the estimate to repair...

I get pissed the more I think about it. In my opinion, someone who acts that way has a screw loose.

I get pissed the more I think about it. In my opinion, someone who acts that way has a screw loose.

I think you may be right, because after all, why the hurry to turn his boat to stern in, especially if the wind was still up. I always berth bow in because it's a lot easier to drive in forwards, and reverse out, than the other way round anyway. Especially when the wind is tricky. Surely it could have waited. Too impatient..?
Says quit a bit about his personality I think.

Perhaps the fellow was too embarrassed to make a proper response.

Before reading your post, I was to suggest you contact the marina. It most likely has the errant boater's insurance information. In the meantime, report the incident with your insurance company. And query the marina if the guy doesn't quickly provide you his insurance info.

I've never backed into a berth with either sailboat or motorboat. Seems like too much bother. Now if one's berth is shorter than the boat and access to the boat is from the stern, that's a different story, but unlikely with sailboats which have narrow sterns and low decks.

Last edited:
Doesn’t sound like the type that gets embarrassed, just an ahole. If others had to ask to have him moved in the marina that pretty much tells you about his character. I wouldn’t be surprised if he tries to blow you off.

I can't believe you guys are surprised with this. Does it totally suck?? YES. Is it uncommon? Not really IMO. I've seen captains totally drunk docking their boats and their passengers were all in the same condition. I've also overheard people talking about cocaine and other bad topics. These things happen when you get $1m+ waterfront property for only $6000 a season or less. LOL!

I agree with the others that if he didn't offer an apology or at least some attempt at cordiality then diplomacy is over! That's awful....Some folks are true cartoon characters. CLOWNS.

Last edited:

Before reading your post, I was to suggest you contact the marina. It most likely has the errant boater's insurance information. In the meantime, report the incident with your insurance company. And query the marina if the guy doesn't quickly provide you his insurance info.

I've never backed into a berth with either sailboat or motorboat. Seems like too much bother. Now if one's berth is shorter than the boat and access to the boat is from the stern, that's a different story, but unlikely with sailboats which have narrow sterns and low decks.

You've never backed into a berth? Ok, but you know that many of us do right?? Lol

HA, Sorry for that,I`d be upset too, but approaching him showing you think he is a four flushing double crossing twicer won`t help. Give him a letter of demand, indicate you hold him responsible,with a repair quote if you can. At the time tell him the same things,see how he responds. If you have to sue him so be it, but keep your cool as if you expect him to respond properly.
My guess is he will blame nature, the wind, etc,anything but himself,but wait and see.
Is the repair cost under your deductible, or should you be talking to your insurer in case you mess it up and they get unhelpful?
Is there a practice of reporting incidents like this to the marina? A plus of him not moving away at this time is you know where he and his boat are.

Last edited:
Feeling more secure that we have a berth significantly deeper than the boat is long with fingers on both sides.

The situation below is suffered only temporarily and with known competent boaters for an overnight stay:

Attachments

• Pittsburg also.jpg
    Pittsburg also.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 114
I think you may be right, because after all, why the hurry to turn his boat to stern in, especially if the wind was still up. I always berth bow in because it's a lot easier to drive in forwards, and reverse out, than the other way round anyway. Especially when the wind is tricky. Surely it could have waited. Too impatient..?

Says quit a bit about his personality I think.

My thoughts exactly. It was just as windy as it was when he pulled in the night prior.

Thank you. I sent the Marina a detailed message before I went to sleep. I think they need to know what happened. If he won’t acknowledge what I saw, imagine what he’ll do with at the marina if he crashes his boat with another and no one sees. Obviously hit and run.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom