Horizontal mounted oil filter on Northern Lights 6kw genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my Cummins big vertical filters I drained the filter into a gallon bleach bottle with the top cut open to fit over the filter. I let it drain while I changed the sump oil and by then it was empty. I used the handle on the bleach bottle with a string to hold it in place.
If you want no drips at all wipe the filter hole then stick on a piece of duct tape. It will hold well enough for the short time needed to remove the filter.

I use a hand-pumped vacuum sucker through the dip stick tube, and now I'm wondering if I could just punch a hole in the horizontal filter, which never seems to drain down on its own, and pull the oil out with the skinniest of my flex tube selection before spinning it off. I hate wasting a bunch of oil diapers on catching the spillage from the filter.

"There must be a one way valve in the system to prevent oil from draining at shutdown."

A check valve in the system is inside some oil filters.

Look in a filter crossover catalog to see if yours is designed for the valve.

Thanks for that FF,
I was hope’in that was the case. I’ve been using NAPA filters lately and used Isuzu before. I suspect the Isuzu dosn’t have the check valve. Seems to me I’ve changed the oil in the past w the Isuzu filters and the oil drained w/o the hole punched at the top. I had a Toyota car w horizontal filter that drained at shutdown. No holes reqrd.

BIG CAT,
“Center core”? If one poked a hole in the center of the end it would seem to me half the oil would run out the punched hole.

Last edited:
If you want to install a remote filter and an adapter isn't available for your engine, most engine blocks can use the center threaded exit port and have enough material to thread the incoming port in the original filter spot. Then a couple hoses and an remote filter housing to fit a common filter can be added. Oil flow in a spin on filter is In thru the outside and Out via the center. If going to another filter, the longer the filter is, the slower the oil flows, and smaller dirt particles can be trapped.

Thanks for that FF,
I was hope’in that was the case. I’ve been using NAPA filters lately and used Isuzu before. I suspect the Isuzu dosn’t have the check valve. Seems to me I’ve changed the oil in the past w the Isuzu filters and the oil drained w/o the hole punched at the top. I had a Toyota car w horizontal filter that drained at shutdown. No holes reqrd.

BIG CAT,
“Center core”? If one poked a hole in the center of the end it would seem to me half the oil would run out the punched hole.

Look down the middle of the filter. The metal tube that the elements bonded to is the core. You just need to drive it deep enough to nmake a hole in it so the oil will drain out of the center. Some filters hold oil back like yours. Sometimes it's because the design while others it could be a combination of things like oil temp, filter area, orientation, ect. 99% of the time when I do services we run them to get the temp up in the oil before we pull a sample and do the service. I go for about 140* or when it's not comfortable to touch the filter. It definitely helps get the oil drain not to mention the bearings have a fresh coat of oil so they aren't dry when you first crank it up.

I use a hand-pumped vacuum sucker through the dip stick tube, and now I'm wondering if I could just punch a hole in the horizontal filter, which never seems to drain down on its own, and pull the oil out with the skinniest of my flex tube selection before spinning it off. I hate wasting a bunch of oil diapers on catching the spillage from the filter.

Why not drain it down and install a drain hose and valve? You could always put a dry break fitting for connecting to a pump to pull it out.

Little Yanmar sailboat auxiliaries. No drain plug. At least, none that I ever found.

Little Yanmar sailboat auxiliaries. No drain plug. At least, none that I ever found.

Haven't messed with many yanmars before but iirc the ones I did had a plug in the dead center on the bottom of the sump.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom