Applying Interlux 2000E

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
Do I need to sand in between coats ????

Do I need to sand in between coats ????

Per Interlux sheet...

Note:*Overcoating times will vary due to wide variations in temperature and humidity. The best method to determine when overcoating can
begin is to use the "Thumb Print Test". If you can leave a thumb print in the primer, and not get paint on your thumb, the primer is ready
for overcoating. Start testing the primer, 30 minutes after application, where you first started applying the primer. Continue testing every
15 minutes until the "Thumb Print Test" is passed, and then immediately begin applying antifouling paint. If the primer cures hard before it
is overcoated, an additional coat of Interprotect 2000E can be applied, or the primer can be allowed to cure, and sanded with 80 grade (grit)
sandpaper
.*Do*not*apply*this*product*if*humidity*exceeds*85%,*or*if*the*temperature*is*above*95°F/35°C.

It looks like you can put another coat of primer on up to 6 mos later but time to first anti-fouling paint is critical. Timing for subsequent anti-fouling coats not critical.

Best to Read through the instructions carefully and pay attention to temp & humidity

We put 6 coats of 2000 on our last boat. We did it over about 3 days. The key to doing the first coat of bottom paint was mentioned previously. We waited until it was thumbprint dry. When you pushed with a finger it would leave a print in the 2000 but it would not transfer to your finger.

Do I correctly understand you need to build it 1cm thick as a barrier coat? That`s a lot of paint to apply. But maybe ok if it keeps out a lot of water.

You need a thickness of 10 mils. You calculate the wetted area and then you can figure out how many gallons of epoxy to use. Then you just keep coating until you runout of paint.

most people i know that follow the directions versus others experience have had great results.

even inexperienced boaters/painters.

We found that the last coat of Interlux 2000 reached thumbprint tack quite quickly, such that we had to do the last coat of epoxy/first coat of bottom paint in four separate sections (44' boat). Just be prepared for that possibility with both epoxy and bottom paint and associated application tools at the ready. You'll now how quickly the epoxy tacks from earlier coats. Don't fudge on the "thumbprint rule"...we made that mistake and the very expensive bottom paint peeled off in sheets within a year.

Back
Top Bottom