Watching TV onboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Going to St. Orres in Gualala (on the Mendocino Coast) via automobile tomorrow to stay overnight at one of their cabins. A welcome break from TV. A birthday present to myself.

Wifey B: Some great basketball on tonight. My favorite player scored 49. The Heat won as well. Good basketball night. Good television night. :rofl:

I'm amazed how different networks manage to time their commercials among them so that channel changing has minimal affect on avoiding commercials. ... Never believed avoiding paying attention to advertisements was a sin when television was free. Thus, not a twinge of guilt avoiding them while I'm paying for the signal on cable.
Maybe we need an Adblock equivalent for TV. The blocked advertisement time could be filled with something you enjoy, say a mix of your favorite photos or vids loaded onto the TV. Not going to happen, but would be nice.

Wifey B: Some great basketball on tonight. My favorite player scored 49. The Heat won as well. Good basketball night. Good television night. :rofl:

I was at Oracle Arena watching my Celtics lose. :-(

They had their chances!

Wifey B., do you like him as a player or because his daughter is so darn cute?!?!

Wifey B., do you like him as a player or because his daughter is so darn cute?!?!

Wifey B: Riley is cute. :) Like him as a player, as a person, like his family. He's a hometown boy for me. His daddy was a Charlotte hero as the all time leading scorer for the Hornets, now their tv dude. Steph went to high school in Charlotte and to college in Davidson as no top basketball school offered scholarship so he took Davidson to the NCAA tournament three times. Still although he averaged 28.6 pts his senior year, drafted 7th after such illustrious stars as Jonny Flynn, Ricky Rubio, Tyreke Evans and....drum roll please...Hasheem Thabeet. Like his brother Seth too. :dance:

I have a fire stick. Mine as well throw it in the garbage. Doesn’t even work at my marina. Went to tv Fox. It must me purchased from their website although there are other similar products. It’s a high powered antenna. No it’s not illegal.

158 posts. So much to read I missed my favorite TV shows.

Ok, turned on the TV on the boat. An overcast late afternoon. And now it's brightened up by Sheryl Crow in concert. One of my faves. HD broadcast over Dish Network and sound over my Bose speakers. My wife knitting and my 2 dogs asleep by my side. What could be better? I'm the world's luckiest guy.

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 71
I have DirecTV at home and I understand adding it to the boat isn't to costly...however it seems that the satellite equipment for the boat is pricey.

If you already have a subscription to DirecTV, you can add a satellite TV tracking system like Track-It-TV (was Follow Me TV) for under 1 boat unit. Put a dish on the TITV system, connect one of your home receivers (or add another one to your subscription) and you have the same satellite TV as at home. They've been around for over 20 years. www.track-it-tv.com

Just get NetFlix for $10/mo, get a Smart TV (cheap!), and anywhere you get wifi or a signal, you can watch much!

I just picked up a Roku stick with voice remote for about $60. Plugged it into the back of my non-smart HDTV and...viola!!! Instant Netflix, Amazon, Google, Roku, etc content on my dumb TV.

Richard of Dauntless fame visited for a few days shortly after I installed it. We were able to watch an Amazon movie rental one night and the Formula One race on ESPN2 the next morning while listening to it all on the Bose sound system.

Not bad for $60 if you've got access to WiFi internet.

I just picked up a Roku stick with voice remote for about $60. Plugged it into the back of my non-smart HDTV and...viola!!! Instant Netflix, Amazon, Google, Roku, etc content on my dumb TV.

This is really the best way to 'future proof' a setup. Use a regular TV without any special features and plug a streaming stick or box into it.

Richard of Dauntless fame visited for a few days shortly after I installed it. We were able to watch an Amazon movie rental one night and the Formula One race on ESPN2 the next morning while listening to it all on the Bose sound system.

Not bad for $60 if you've got access to WiFi internet.

We use the same thing and can bring them with you when you travel

What does "voice remote" do with the Roku stick.

I've got the stick at my dirt home and has had it's share of not working issues. All solvable, but a PITA.

Would a smart TV be better (probably cheaper)?

What does "voice remote" do with the Roku stick.

I've got the stick at my dirt home and has had it's share of not working issues. All solvable, but a PITA.

Would a smart TV be better (probably cheaper)?

Call me paranoid, but I find the idea of these smart TVs and these wifi connected, voice controlled control/download boxes, as a bit creepy. If someone hacks into its connection to the internet they can turn on its camera and spy on you, and listen to everything in the room. So I believe, anyway.:eek:

Call me paranoid, but I find the idea of these smart TVs and these wifi connected, voice controlled control/download boxes, as a bit creepy. If someone hacks into its connection to the internet they can turn on its camera and spy on you, and listen to everything in the room. So I believe, anyway.:eek:

tin-hat-cat_fb_1725705.jpg

You are not paranoid ..... They are out to get you.

Someone want to watch what is going on in my room?
Great, dont need a burglar alarm. They can call me when something happens.
Personally, I dont think I am worthy of being watched by my TV.
If they think I am THAT important, I do have a spare bedroom at home, they can move right in and contribute to the upkeep to my condo.
If they think I am so important to watch my activities on the boat, fine, they can sleep on the swim platform unless SHE is attractive and sweet and gentle, will cook and clean. Yea, like that is going to happen LOL

If THEY wanted excitement, THEY should have started watching when I was in my 20s.
How much activity can a 75 year old man provide "the viewing public?" LOL
Personally, I think you folks are over stating the problem with the smart TVs.
You want to really worry, those same "THEY" maybe more interested in what you do on your computer.
Oh, I almost forgot, tin foil hats, 3 for $1 at the back of the room.

This is crazy talk: everyone knows that they have been listening to us through our radios for decades. Why would they bother with watching through the TV anymore when they can listen to what you think on your wi-fi network? Thats why they went digital a few years back: they didn't need the old analog cameras in the TVs anymore since wi-fi was everywhere now. Bringing in alien technology like iPhones and flat TVs was worth the risk since the wi-fi and cellular networks they use will let them monitor our reactions as they trickle it into society. Where do you think self-driving cars are coming from?

Last edited:
Woodland Hills, "Where do you think self-driving cars are coming from?"

to the car, 'Take me to the strip club.'
car, 'You have your wife's permission?'
You, 'Yes'
car, 'Hold your permission slip to the camera so I can see and validate her signature.'

Ah yes, the possibilities are endless. lol

Smart TVs are never better. Mainly because NO television vendor ever keeps the apps up to date on them. Within a 2 year span you're faced with abandoned apps. Whereas a relatively inexpensive streaming stick of small box will continue to get updates. Roku, Amazon, Chromecast, etc. Or even a cheap PC with a media streamer like Plex, Kodi or the like. At least with a separate module you can replace it easily if something better comes along.

Why anyone would waste their valuable time trying to hack my systems to watch me is beyond my comprehension. Have at it if that excites. Not something worth 2 seconds of my time worrying about.

I have an LG Smart TV at home and have been really happy with it. Sure, there are some apps that are slow to get updated and some apps that it doesn’t have (Spotify for example). I have a very nice, now older, HD in the house that isn’t a “smart TV”. I’ve considered getting a Roku stick for it (if my older TV has a USB input....).

I think it would be a good option for the boat. Unfortunately, it won’t give us cable news (which my wife it addicted to) but will give us entertainment.

The nice thing about a boat is that I’m never bored. I can be on the boat in terrible weather and be perfectly happy messing about with boat stuff.

I use my iPhone which has an unlimited data account with Verizon.
Connect to the flatscreen with a lightning to HDMI adapter:
Lightning Digital AV Adapter - Lightning to HDMI

Then whatever you can watch on the phone can be sent to the TV: VUDU, Netflix, Direct TV app....

If you have a Slingbox at home, you can project your home cable account to your TV. Whatever you can watch at home, you can watch on your phone and therefore your vessels flatscreen TV via the adapter.
Slingbox.com - Slingbox 500

Limitation is need for cell service. When there's no service, there's always a sunset...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom