Favorite Boat Soap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
So what are yall’s pick for best/favorite boat soap? We just ran put of the pink WM stuff... it kinda sucks. We are using Bar Keeper’s Friend for non-skid areas now and it is working better than the Magic Erasers. Don’t worry, we are currently wax-free. Not by choice. I have been removing the old PolyGlow and still need to buff and wax this season. But for now, we still need a good soap for the rest of the boat.

Discuss.

Thanks!

So what are yall’s pick for best/favorite boat soap? We just ran put of the pink WM stuff... it kinda sucks. We are using Bar Keeper’s Friend for non-skid areas now and it is working better than the Magic Erasers. Don’t worry, we are currently wax-free. Not by choice. I have been removing the old PolyGlow and still need to buff and wax this season. But for now, we still need a good soap for the rest of the boat.

Discuss.

Thanks!
Spray Nine is like magic. Got some nasty brown tiny spot on the non skid deck when bought the lady. Tried everything to remove them (really everything) during the first year. Last year my dock neighbor told me that he was washing with spray nine, I tried it, a miracle!

L

Discuss.

Thanks!

Ammonia should remove PolyGlow as its just like floor polish

Ammonia should remove PolyGlow as its just like floor polish

I used floor stripper... worked fine-ish. Got 95% of it. Now I just need to compound, polish, and wax. But this isn’t what we are here to talk about.

Spray Nine is like magic. Got some nasty brown tiny spot on the non skid deck when bought the lady. Tried everything to remove them (really everything) during the first year. Last year my dock neighbor told me that he was washing with spray nine, I tried it, a miracle!

L

When we wanted to remove soot last year...the WM guy said it was good too. But dang... it’s kinda ‘spensive to use for regular washinz. Ain’t it?

When we wanted to remove soot last year...the WM guy said it was good too. But dang... it’s kinda ‘spensive to use for regular washinz. Ain’t it?
Well at something like 18$CA (15$US) a gallon I don't find it expensive if I compare to what was using the PO (awlwash at 26$CA a quart).

L

What's boat soap?

I think shine is grossly overrated...and a WHOLE lot of work! I prefer patina because every mark tells a story. And I could tell some great stories!

What's boat soap?

I think shine is grossly overrated...and a WHOLE lot of work! I prefer patina because every mark tells a story. And I could tell some great stories!

:thumb:

I'm with you Art. A clean boat is just a sign that someone has too much time on their hands. :socool:

I use smoove boat wash, it smells good and doesn’t take the wax off.

I use Mermaid Boat Wash as it was recommended by the guy that did my wax job last year.

The Admiral likes "Cussens Imperial Leather for Sensitive Skin".

Timber boats love salt water and hate fresh so no washing for our old girl.

Favorite boat soap is no soap at all.
You don’t need soap.
Just get an appropriate brush and add fresh water.
One could add a very small amount like 1/4 teaspoon per five gallons.
This makes water wet. Won’t bead up. Wet water is used in firefighting.

Favorite boat soap is no soap at all.
You don’t need soap.
Just get an appropriate brush and add fresh water.
One could add a very small amount like 1/4 teaspoon per five gallons.
This makes water wet. Won’t bead up. Wet water is used in firefighting.
I use a 2000 psi electric pressure washer. The gelcoat on my 1983 boat long since lost its shine and retains grime quite nicely. No soap and brush will remove the grime so completely as does the pressure washer. It's truly amazing to see the surfaces come back to white. The contrast is remarkable. This spring I also did the entire hull from waterline to gunwhales. She's looking good.

catalinajack,
I would not apply a pressure washer to my boat. All that water under high pressure will find any ridiculously small crack or hole and injest water. Just an opinion though.

Just water and a brush for me. I don’t really like filling the marina with suds.

catalinajack,
I would not apply a pressure washer to my boat. All that water under high pressure will find any ridiculously small crack or hole and injest water. Just an opinion though.
Yrs, there is that possibility but I have washed the boat this way several times and not had a problem. Plus, the boat is as clean as possible. Soap and brush does not clean nearly as well leaving the surfaces clearly still dingy and that after a lot of work. I'll continue to take my chances with the pressure washer but your point is well-taken.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom