Bermuda cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleP

I don't read much about members cruising to Bermuda from the East Coast. Why is this? I would think it would be a nice wintering locale.

Most here do not have an ocean rated trawler to make such a long crossing. Heck we have to watch the weather conditions closely to make the jump to the Bahamas. Sailboats, however, do Bermuda all the time.

600 nm of open ocean to get there, and you get basically one small island to explore. Not a lot to do after all that travel.

Wifey B: Nice place to live but wouldn't want to visit there. :rofl: That's sort of tying to the one island post above. Now, you have me thinking though of whether we might work it in on this trip. Might just have to do some changing of plans. Only thought about it in the past as part of crossing the Atlantic. I never should have come to this thread. We'd have to short change some other stop but then already been to the rest of the stops we're making. :ermm::ermm::confused::D

My brothers, sister and I went to Bermuda as kids on vacation with our parents. With fond memories, we went back with all our kids a few years ago. Things have changed a lot in 40 years. The island is densely populated with a significant number living on government assistance. Everything is costly as a result. Public busses and mopeds are transportation for most. When we were there, diesel was $15 per gallon. A quick check shows it at only $9 per gallon now. Needless to say, the harbors seemed to have mostly sailboats. We enjoyed our trip and the island has interesting history. As a winter cruising destination, it's too far North and very windy.

Ted

My brothers, sister and I went to Bermuda as kids on vacation with our parents. With fond memories, we went back with all our kids a few years ago. Things have changed a lot in 40 years. The island is densely populated with a significant number living on government assistance. Everything is costly as a result. Public busses and mopeds are transportation for most. When we were there, diesel was $15 per gallon. A quick check shows it at only $9 per gallon now. Needless to say, the harbors seemed to have mostly sailboats. We enjoyed our trip and the island has interesting history. As a winter cruising destination, it's too far North and very windy.

Ted

Wifey B: Right now and for the next couple of weeks, highs in the lower 70's. A lot of days with winds around 20 mph and gusts at 30. But maybe in September on our way home. Looks like nice weather that time of year. Maybe not the place to buy fuel. :nonono:

Bermuda has had a healthy economy and seems that has led many who need assistance there. It's like discovering a greeaaaaaaatttt restaurant and enjoying it until everyone else discovers it and you can't even get a table. Giannis couldn't even get a table in his fave pizza joint after the Bucks beat the Celtics. Now that's just wrong. :mad:

It's like discovering a greeaaaaaaatttt restaurant and enjoying it until everyone else discovers it and you can't even get a table.
Or to quote the late, great Yogi Bera... "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

I don't read much about members cruising to Bermuda from the East Coast. Why is this? I would think it would be a nice wintering locale.

I agree but I've been thinking about it. Closest point is about 550 miles (IIRC). Which is a pretty good crossing. A bit more than most cruisers are comfortable with.

Ken

I agree but I've been thinking about it. Closest point is about 550 miles (IIRC). Which is a pretty good crossing. A bit more than most cruisers are comfortable with.

Ken

Wifey B: Thanks to you guys bringing it up, Bermuda is now on our plans for late September or early October. Reworking schedule. Don't know what comes out of our plans or if we just extend our cruise south. :)

Wifey B: Thanks to you guys bringing it up, Bermuda is now on our plans for late September or early October. Reworking schedule. Don't know what comes out of our plans or if we just extend our cruise south. :)

Curious- what boat are you planning to take to Bermuda? Surely not the one in your avatar :).

Seriously, a trip to Bermuda is a serious blue water passage. You need a very well found boat and the range to do it.

I am reminded of the yacht requirements for the xyz to Bernuda races. It requires all sorts of stuff: independent back up DC system, independent back up communication system, all sole hatches latched down, etc, etc. My neighbor spent ten plus thousand dollars rigging his very well built Island Packet 485 to meet those requirements.

David

Curious- what boat are you planning to take to Bermuda? Surely not the one in your avatar :).

Seriously, a trip to Bermuda is a serious blue water passage. You need a very well found boat and the range to do it.

I am reminded of the yacht requirements for the xyz to Bernuda races. It requires all sorts of stuff: independent back up DC system, independent back up communication system, all sole hatches latched down, etc, etc. My neighbor spent ten plus thousand dollars rigging his very well built Island Packet 485 to meet those requirements.

David

Wifey B: Don't talk bad about my "Baby". Actually the boat in the avatar is CE A rated. However, since it only has range of about 210 nm then I don't think so. :rolleyes:

Bigger boat with more range. :)

Wifey B: Don't talk bad about my "Baby". Actually the boat in the avatar is CE A rated. However, since it only has range of about 210 nm then I don't think so. :rolleyes:

Bigger boat with more range. :)

There goes my faith in CE ratings.

David

There goes my faith in CE ratings.

David

Wifey B: Don't pick on my "Baby". It would amaze you how well it handles rough seas. It earned the rating that very few it's size have. I would put it up against any boat in it's size and class. Plus it's cute and fun. :p:speed boat:

Exactly!! Go Celts !!!

Wifey B: Giannis not able to get in the Pizza place was wrong. Bucks beating Celts, I'm very mixed on. Celtics are so well coached and play their style so effectively in spite of all the injuries. Have to cheer them. On the other hand, the Bucks are a very good young team. Would like to see Prunty keep the job. I think Celts will win at home but who knows.

I'm afraid the Bron and the Pips will win their game 7 too but sure hope the Pacers take it.

Loved Donovan tonight. And so glad the Raptors won. Great team and uses their bench. Wall and Beal were practically crawling at the end.

And this is why we must have television on the boat. :dance:

I'm an estuarian boater. Not wanting open-sea cruising unless on a ship. Nevertheless, have read posters saying it's no big thing boating to the Bermudas. Nevertheless, I'm not a believer (Gulf Stream, Bermuda Triangle, and such).

Last edited:
I had the pleasure to stop at Bermuda while delivering a 51’ sailing yacht to the BVIs from Norfolk.

We had not intended to stop, but just have it as a way point... sail out to Bermuda, then turn right. But, we encountered a fast developing (i.e. it wasn’t there when we left Beaufort to cross) low pressure system that pounded us for several days (25-30’ seas, 35 knots of wind, gusting to 50). So we pulled in to dry out, apply more caulking to leaky places and fix a few things.

We landed at St. George then went through a cross island canal to Hamilton Harbor, where we stayed for a week at the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, but it was expensive. The yacht club was awesome. I was wandering through it with my girl friend of the time, admiring the Winslow Homer paintings when a very elderly steward of the club, wearing an ancient tails tuxedo approached, looked at me only and said “Pardon me sir, but ladies are not permitted in the club house”. It was a few years ago.

Hanging out in Hamilton harbour during December, when a lot of boats are heading south is very entertaining. But there’s no cruising per se. Going to Bermuda, is definitely an adventure. Highly recommended if you are up to a multi-day ocean crossing.... but make sure you are very well prepared. When things go wrong you are a long ways from any help. We spent 6 weeks working on the boat to prepare it for this adventure. It was a wonderful, fun adventure!

I had the pleasure to stop at Bermuda while delivering a 51’ sailing yacht to the BVIs from Norfolk.

We had not intended to stop, but just have it as a way point... sail out to Bermuda, then turn right. But, we encountered a fast developing (i.e. it wasn’t there when we left Beaufort to cross) low pressure system that pounded us for several days (25-30’ seas, 35 knots of wind, gusting to 50). So we pulled in to dry out, apply more caulking to leaky places and fix a few things.

Wifey B: How well does your Baby handle these conditions?

David

Bermuda is a great pit stop on the way to the Carib.

Last time I was there St Georges shore tie up was free , no services provided.

And great Double Diamond beer , a quick walk away.

Wifey B: How well does your Baby handle these conditions?

David

Wifey B: Haven't had her in those conditions but based on other conditions I would say it would be most unpleasant but she would handle them. One key difference though and that is with a cruising speed of 35 knots, she wouldn't have been caught in those conditions. Similarly, when we do cross, we'll be in a boat that cruises at 20 knots so we'll never be more than 20 hours from shore. Now, crossing the Atlantic would be a different story. Based on build and construction and design, I'd say my "Baby Riva" would handle conditions very similarly to a KK42. However, she won't be tested due to range and, honestly, I would never personally cross an ocean in any sub-50' boat. I'd want about double the length of the 44' Riva to do so. Just because a boat can, doesn't mean I want to do so in it. :)

I would argue that a crossing to Bermuda or anyplace else that is in the 500NM range is entirely dooable in many coastal cruiser type boats of you have the range.

We are pretty good at forecasting out to about 72 hours. Not perfect but pretty good.

Someone mentioned that it’s a 510NM crossing. That is 63 hours at 8 knots... within the range of modern forecasting.

Would I do it in my Bayliner 4788??? No simply because I only have about 600NM of fuel, and that is cutting it a bit tight for me.

I am considering a straight shot from Seward Alaska to Elfin cove Alaska though for my next trip south though. That is a bit over 400NM. Why do that??? Simply to get it out of the way. Pick a good weather window and get it done.

No I’m not advocating that any captain take any boat on a 600NM crossing, but if someone has the range, and a decent boat, and some good sea time under their keel there is no reason not to.

Last edited:
We flew to Bermuda last Christmas to spend the holidays with our daughter who lives there. Lots to see and do; beaches, forts, caves, history, nice restaurants and bars, great diving and snorkeling (in summer)... It's a beautiful and friendly (but, yes, expensive) place.
I stopped in a marine shop for a look about, and the owner asked what kind of boat I had. When I told him I have a 25 ft Ranger Tug, his response was:"Oh, we don't see boats like that here. They're either large ocean-going yachts passing through, or small local boats for dayfishing."

I would argue that a crossing to Bermuda or anyplace else that is in the 500NM range is entirely dooable in many coastal cruiser type boats of you have the range.

We are pretty good at forecasting out to about 72 hours. Not perfect but pretty good.

Someone mentioned that it’s a 510NM crossing. That is 63 hours at 8 knots... within the range of modern forecasting.

I guess I have to agree. Our forecasting is getting remarkably good and you should be able to comfortably see 72 hours out. They seem to be able to forecast the "pop up storms" pretty well within that window.

Any longer- 4 days or more and I wouldn't take a coastal cruiser out that far from land. That far out you need to be able to take 50 kts of wind and 20' seas and rescue yourself.

David

Wifey B: Big diff between the trip to Bermuda vs the Bermuda to Azores run on the other side. :)

Being Bermudian, I would love to extol the wonders of Bermuda. It is a marvellous place, but the realities are, incredibly expensive. The passage to it can be one of the most harrowing you can imagine. The gulf stream can be full of thunderheads, squalls, and very severe seas. I have done the passage numerous times (40-50) in sailboats, competed in the Marion and Newport races numerous times. I have crossed the stream in flat calm motoring and also in 30ft+ seas. I've sailed up to the stream in shorts in 70F+ under balmy skies and within 60 miles been beating to windward in a snowstorm (it was April). The stream at that point is a huge heat engine that makes it's own mini compact weather systems. Sure you can cross in a power vessel, if you do it quickly and pick the weather. But that does not happen often. And then there's always the chance you could be stuck there for weeks awaiting a weather window, to race for Cape Hatteras. My advice..... give it a miss unless you have something in excess of 100ft !!! If you really want to try it PM me and I'll give you a call and talk to you. I used to own most of the boatyards there, and have numerous contacts.

Look at the latitude for Bermuda then follow it back to the US. Check the weather between NC and Bermuda..... pretty much the same.

I have been to Bermuda twice. Flew over twice. First time, one prison. When full, a person was given a reporting date. One my most recent visit I was told, they have a bigger prison. LOL

I enjoyed both visits. They were almost 20 years apart. If I go again, I will hire a tour guide, with a car. I am now too old (75) to do a lot of walking especially up hill to the light house.
During the season, St George is a great place to visit.... and the yacht club too. Lots of interesting history, pirates, US civil war involvement too. The island was purposely mis-located on the early charts when it was a pirate hang out.
The bus service is far less expensive than the cabs and the bus will get you pretty much everywhere you want to visit and then some. You can buy a bus pass good for a specified number of days.
Would I recommend a stay in Bermuda, yes.
When I had my N46, back in my feeble mind, it was my intention to take the boat over. First a shake down across FL, across the Gulf down into Mexico. Fate saved me from potential fatal mistakes, the boat fell off the jacks, presto, constructive loss
Obviously the flight time is far less than a boat trip. SMILE

Last edited:
Years ago a team from PassageMaker Magazine took a small trawler to Bermuda. I don’t recall the exact boat but someone here must have a copy of that issue.

A number of years ago the Nordhaven rally came through. seem to remember it was early summer? They picked their time and weather, and hung around for a week or two till the next calm weather and did the transatlantic. There were quite a few boats 20?.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom