Roll Bar Anchors - Snagging?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Went back a few years and couldn't find the possibility or frequency of roll bar anchors getting snagged being discussed.

I live on BC's north coast where the bottom near estuaries can be littered with waterlogged stumps and/or trees.

Has anybody with a roll bar anchor had a problem with their anchor getting caught up on a log, branch, root wad, or some other snagging item on the bottom?

While it's definitely a possibility, I tend to be picky about where I drop my hook regardless. Had a friend cut an anchor chain in a river when his plow became hopelessly fouled.

Ted

I don't believe the roll bar makes the anchor any more or less likely to be snagged on the bottom. Tidal swings in areas where there are snags are the most likely cause of hanging an anchor in my experience...

My worst hang up was the rode swinging under a rock with a tidal change. It was freed by letting the rode back out and reversing the swing of the boat from the tidal change. A trip line wouldn't have helped in this circumstance, an area with lots of big rocks on a flat bottom.

While it's definitely a possibility, I tend to be picky about where I drop my hook regardless.

Around here the choices are severely limited, unless you have 3000’ of rode.

Last edited:
I don't believe the roll bar makes the anchor any more or less likely to be snagged on the bottom. Tidal swings in areas where there are snags are the most likely cause of hanging an anchor in my experience...

My worst hang up was the rode swinging under a rock with a tidal change. It was freed by letting the rode back out and reversing the swing of the boat from the tidal change. A trip line wouldn't have helped in this circumstance, an area with lots of big rocks on a flat bottom.

I have never had a roll bar snag, but I have found the roll bar useful in getting the anchor off a cable or ground line. Near an old mine site I managed to get the point the anchor through the eye of a 2 inch cable. I was able to get the anchor up to where I could see it, get a line around the roll bar and lower the anchor back down releasing the cable. Did the same thing with a ground line last fall.

Tom

I have never had a roll bar snag, but I have found the roll bar useful in getting the anchor off a cable or ground line. Near an old mine site I managed to get the point the anchor through the eye of a 2 inch cable. I was able to get the anchor up to where I could see it, get a line around the roll bar and lower the anchor back down releasing the cable. Did the same thing with a ground line last fall.

Tom

I was thinking about negatives...thanks for the positives :thumb:

We've been using Rocnas since 2009, on our previous, and current boat. Never had a hangup of any sort, although we've generally anchored in mud or gravel.

No fouls or dragging like we used to get on our various Danforths over the years.

Great anchor.

Super Sarca since around 2014,no snagging issues.
I have the shackle sliding in shank slot(you can install a preventer bolt so it won`t). On retrieve, the shackle can slide to the "head" for vertical pull,making the shank vertical. Intended to aid retrieval when well dug in, it may help if snagged on a cable etc, but I have not (knowingly)been snagged.

Went back a few years and couldn't find the possibility or frequency of roll bar anchors getting snagged being discussed.

I live on BC's north coast where the bottom near estuaries can be littered with waterlogged stumps and/or trees.

Has anybody with a roll bar anchor had a problem with their anchor getting caught up on a log, branch, root wad, or some other snagging item on the bottom?

No Murray, not with my Super Sarca. That's what the slotted shanks is for, and it works. And has never tripped when I didn't want it to, in spite of the fear some have that this might happen. This sort of anchor is just made for those kind of waters.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 76
The probability of the rollbar snagging is about as high as the pointy end. In fact. Should an anchor get snagged, how would one know if it is the rollbar or the hook itself (short of being in pristine water where the bottom can be seen, or diving on it)?

No Murray, not with my Super Sarca. That's what the slotted shanks is for, and it works. And has never tripped when I didn't want it to, in spite of the fear some have that this might happen. This sort of anchor is just made for those kind of waters.
Peter,note I added the word "knowingly" to whether I`d even been snagged. The Super Sarca slot recovery operation system could have dealt with a snag without me knowing.
This doesn`t have a lot to do with the rollbar,which is to correctly orient the anchor if it lands other than in its correct functioning position. That said, roll bar,and triangular fluke design seem to go together, along with the slot system in some brands.

Peter,note I added the word "knowingly" to whether I`d even been snagged. The Super Sarca slot recovery operation system could have dealt with a snag without me knowing.
This doesn`t have a lot to do with the rollbar,which is to correctly orient the anchor if it lands other than in its correct functioning position. That said, roll bar,and triangular fluke design seem to go together, along with the slot system in some brands.

Point noted, Bruce. Actually, as the OP was enquiring re instances of rollbar anchors getting snagged on the bottom, my initial interpretation is for that to mean the fluke getting stuck. A situation I have knowingly extracted my Super Sarca from, without ever knowing what it snagged on I must say, by purposely activating the trip mechanism, on a number of times.

I also tend to use it automatically to lessen the load on the winch when just dug in extra well, which is quite often in the bottoms we encounter here, of heavy 'weapons grade' mud.

The possibility of the actual rollbar itself snagging is remote, because, as you say, they tend to roll upright very quickly thus presenting the fluke to the bottom, with the bar up out of harm's way. However, I suppose it is theoretically possible for the bar hoop to slip over the protruding end of some partly buried object, like a small branch or log, as it rolled, and get pulled along it enough to snag. I guess all one could say about that is...'bugger' and what 'damned' bad luck!' However, in that case, just quietly motoring back under some tension, in the reverse direction, much like the technique used to activate the trip would probably succeed in sliding it back off whatever it was anyway. Let's hope... :)

Now that a few have had a chance to say their anchor is best ...
But theirs is best for the kind of security we’re talking about.

The design of any anchor is to snag something .. the sea floor. So if designers do their very best to design an anchor that will dependably hook/snag the sea floor it seems reasonable that now and then the device will snag other things that litter the sea floor. Anchors can’t tell the difference between sea floor and debris.

A lot of TF people think things like anchors should work like a car door .. always .. w/o exception. Nature isn’t built like that. No matter how much research and development one throws at products they will not perform flawlessly, the same every time. Too many variables. One must always anchor w this in mind. But quite a few think that’s unacceptable. Marin Fare was one of these people. What me dragg? Never. I’ve got the best anchor there is and it dosn’t fail. Absolute? NO. These things aren’t absolute. If you anchor often enough you will dragg.

One must be prepared to loose an anchor at times and not be shocked if a boat is lost. That is a very rare event and almost impossible if you’re a good seaman. But it will happen even if the best judgement and the best equipment is used.

Now that a few have had a chance to say their anchor is best ...
But theirs is best for the kind of security we’re talking about.

The design of any anchor is to snag something .. the sea floor. So if designers do their very best to design an anchor that will dependably hook/snag the sea floor it seems reasonable that now and then the device will snag other things that litter the sea floor. Anchors can’t tell the difference between sea floor and debris.

A lot of TF people think things like anchors should work like a car door .. always .. w/o exception. Nature isn’t built like that. No matter how much research and development one throws at products they will not perform flawlessly, the same every time. Too many variables....
Eric, I avoided claiming "best ever" status for my Super Sarca while discussing how the design might work with a snag. Notably,Steve`s tests applauded more than one anchor,though from memory they had essentially similar fluke design.
But, you are right,without a camera like Steve used, or diving to see the set,it`s part mystery down there. Which helps feed controversy and uncertainty.
So far no one has reported a failure associated with the roll bar, or bringing up an object caught between fluke and shank. That should help the confidence of users, and potential purchasers.

BruceK,
Yea I miss Steve.
The failure of the RB IMO is that because it is drag it limits the penetration of the fluke and thus holding power. In short it helps the anchor break out. The Rocna has an up-turned trailing edge that pitches the anchor up to some extent causing the same negative effect. However these features don't degrade the performance much if any as much of the drag from the RB and turned up trailing edge of the fluke helps holding.

Most all anchors have appendages or features that act the same way.

But Steve's camera made the anchoring very interesting (or more so) but the thing we need to know (90 to 98% of the test) is did it set and does it hold fairly well. That is what I'll be doing soon testing three modded anchors. I won't be able to deliver the MGM component but I'll be able to report if they worked. Been thinking about running over to use Steve's testing site for starters at Port Townsend. There will probably be comparisons I can make there and It's a great place to go as an overnight stop. Chris will be more likely to go.

BruceK,
Yea I miss Steve.
The failure of the RB IMO is that because it is drag it limits the penetration of the fluke and thus holding power....
Me too. You`ll have to step up.
Not so sure the roll bar impedes fluke penetration, I seem to recall pics showing the roll bar mostly buried.
The other plus of the wedge/rollbar anchor style was its ability to reset, when some other types performed that test woefully.

I'm paranoid and fearful I'll hang up on a sunken tractor or such. :eek: So far, only sticky mud. :whistling:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom