Furuno network sounder tweaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maerin

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Make
Solo 4303
I'm looking for some tips in tweaking my Furuno sounder. I use a DFF-1 sounder module that's networked to the VX2 system. The sounder uses a B744 transducer, that's the airmar model, I'm not sure what the corresponding Furuno model is, but it's a bronze 50/200 hz 600W with temp and paddlewheel speed. I've never had much success getting it to read beyond about 200 ft, I've been going through the Furuno manual with not much success. For me, the Furuno manuals are abysmal for instruction, just the worst. They're great for headaches, but that's another issue.

Anyone have some tips on how to get it reading deeper? I know it has limitations, Airmar says 1200 ft @ 50hz, 700 ft @ 200 hz. I've been trying different settings (noise, signal, freq, gain, etc) but can't hit a combination that will get it to read deep water, and there's plenty of it here in the Bahamas! Maybe I'm just expecting too much.

Now I know it really doesn't make much difference if it's 60, 600, or 60,000 ft deep, I'm not gonna hit bottom. But that's not the point. The point is getting it to do what it's supposed to do. BTW, the transducer is less than a year old. (and the speed doesn't work, never had one that worked for more than a few months, just expect it not to, IMO they're crap)

Suggestions?

Steve

Has the DFF1 ever worked to your satisfaction? Do you have a go to instrument tech that you use? If so and all else fails, contact him.

Do you have more than one depth sounder? I have three including the DFF1 on Hub 101 and NN3 units. Once deeper than 500 feet or so they often lose the bottom, with the DFF1 Maybe stretching out to 700 feet. The silty bottoms near rivers or glaciers usually give poor readings.

Last edited:
I think the issue is your transducer. It has a 45deg beam spread, so power dissipates quickly as depth increases. Something like a B260 or B258 has a 15 to 19 deg beam width and will sound much deeper. But I don't think either is a direct swap replacement, and both include temp, but not speed thru water.

As Twistedtree mentioned, are you sure your 'ducer is good? Has it read deeper in the past? Lots of times you can see the bronze housing separated from the face which allows water ingress to the element. The easiest way to test is to throw another transducer over the side & see if the targets look better.
Other than a bad transducer, you should make sure the DFF settings haven't been mis-adjusted. You can tweek them in the sounder menu.
I'd also try resetting the DFF.

Back
Top Bottom