Houston we have a toilet pump problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherAlyssa

Vessel Name
Heather Alyssa
Vessel Make
Mainship 350/390
You’re not gonna believe this. I splashed my boat today and opened my through hull for the head. It’s a Jabsco 37010-1090 electric toilet. I push the button and water doesn’t flow into the bowl. I pour water into the bowl, and it does go away but water still doesn’t flow into the toilet. I resorted to disconnecting the hose from the seacock, put it in a cup of water and press the button. Ummmmm. No it doesn’t suck the water out of the cup.... it blows air into the cup creating bubbles. I rebuilt the pump, and re-oriented the hoses in the same way. Has anyone ever experienced this? IMG_3394.jpg

You’re not gonna believe this. I splashed my boat today and opened my through hull for the head. It’s a Jabsco 37010-1090 electric toilet. I push the button and water doesn’t flow into the bowl. I pour water into the bowl, and it does go away but water still doesn’t flow into the toilet. I resorted to disconnecting the hose from the seacock, put it in a cup of water and press the button. Ummmmm. No it doesn’t suck the water out of the cup.... it blows air into the cup creating bubbles. I rebuilt the pump, and re-oriented the hoses in the same way. Has anyone ever experienced this?View attachment 75537
At first sight I would say you connected the pump reversed (in in place of out and vice versa).

L

I didn’t break into the motor. Not required with the rebuild kit. I only changed the impeller, gaskets, joker valve etc. this is confusing me

I didn’t break into the motor. Not required with the rebuild kit. I only changed the impeller, gaskets, joker valve etc. this is confusing me
Would it be possible that when you re installed your pump you installed it upside down, see what I mean?

To illustrate what I mean, compare the fitting position in the following view to your picture.

48126F-p.gif

L

Last edited:
If the motor is not running backwards then I would think you have a part in wrong or missing. Not much else it can be.:facepalm:

Unless you did manage to install the pump/motor assembly backward--which is hard to do!--the problem is, the intake impeller (part # 27 in the diagram Lou tribal posted) isn't pulling any water in, most likely caused by something you did or didn't do when you rebuilt the pump. Methinks you need to have a chat with Jabsco tech support...and that would be a guy named Paul Campagna. His direct line is 978-282-5246.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Would it be possible that when you re installed your pump you installed it upside down, see what I mean?

To illustrate what I mean, compare the fitting position in the following view to your picture.

48126F-p.gif

L

+1 It looks like the pump is upside down which would cause it to pump backwards.

I managed to put a joker valve in wrong once.

It would have to be end-for-end backwards to make any difference in the direction the the intake impeller is pulling. Although that's hard to do, that the pump blew air into a cup of water instead of sucking it out of the cup makes it a possibility.
CALL JABSCO!

In the IPB the hoses look like they attach to the top of the motor. In the photo the hoses appear to be going to the bottom of the motor.

pump wont work

which way does the motor spin, this will determine what is the inlet and what is the outlet of the pump

the outlet is always the furthest away from the inlet ie if the pump spins clockwise the inlet will be at 2 oclock and the outlet will be at 10 oclock
if it spins anti clock wise the inlet will be at 10 oclock and the outlet at 2 oclock

on your picture the motor will have to spin anticlockwise assuming that the inlet is at the top and the outlet is at the bottom

What would happen if you reversed the power supply wires?

With the pump upside down, the pump outlet is connected to the water inlet line. The pump inlet is connected to the hose to the bowl. Good catch on seeing the pump upside down.
So, disconnect the hoses, unbolt the pump assembly, rotate the pump base so that the hose connections are on the top then bolt it all back together.

Last edited:
With the pump upside down, the pump outlet is connected to the water inlet line. The pump inlet is connected to the hose to the bowl. Good catch on seeing the pump upside down.
So, disconnect the hoses, unbolt the pump assembly, rotate the pump base so that the hose connections are on the top then bolt it all back together.
Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted the PO to find out :)

L

Next time, take a photo of stuff before you take it apart, so you have something to compare against when you need to put it back together.

Is there a key that locks the water pump and impeller to the shaft? perhaps that was left at out

Lol. I do just that. I’m always taking pictures of my projects before I start them and during the maintenance. Guess what I didn’t do this time… I spent a while looking at my archived photos on my phone to see if I had something. No luck.

That’s my project as soon as I leave work. I’ll let you know how that goes.

IMG_3396.jpg

I think the diagram and the picture of my pump is worth 1000 words. Maybe even 2000. In the Navy there is a term. It’s called sailor proof. Some might refer to it as idiot proof. I don’t understand why the impeller housing isn’t keyed to be installed one way only.

the first photo is correct. Its exactly like my set up. Also you can't hook this pump up backwards as the hoses won't reach. I'ts a two stage pump, one pushes water in and one pulls water out and is a macerator. Double check the intake section. Its been a while since I rebuilt mine but I seem to recall an issue with the impeller section and I had to pull it back apart. Also, ate you sure your through hull actually opened? Several years ago Mainship had a recall on all through hulls because their vendor made them with the wrong material inside and they corroded. You would turn the handle and think they were either opened or closed but they could fail in either position. All of your valves should have been replaced about 8 years ago. Check with the original owner to see if he did this. if not, you will need to.
John

I checked the through hull after I disconnected the hose from the barbed seacock. Water entered the boat like Old Faithful. No problem there. If you look at orientation of the intake and exhaust ports, you’ll see that in my picture they are beneath the midline of the pump. Proper installation is 180 degrees with the ports being just slightly above the pump centerline.

My Jabsco Quiet Flush head feeds sea water into the bowl from the remotely mounted pump. The pump at the pedestal of the head is the macerater/discharge pump. My water raw water supply pump is mounted under my sink with a small Jabsco inline strainer/screen filter. I'd suspect a clogged filter prior to the RW pump.

My Jabsco Quiet Flush head feeds sea water into the bowl from the remotely mounted pump. The pump at the pedestal of the head is the macerater/discharge pump. My water raw water supply pump is mounted under my sink with a small Jabsco inline strainer/screen filter. I'd suspect a clogged filter prior to the RW pump.

The pump was rebuilt two months ago. Additionally, I installed a new inline strainer. The raw water feeds directly from the throughull which is 4 feet away from the head, directly into the pump. My Jabsco 37010-1090 at the pedestal is a combination macerator and raw water pump. I blew air through my inlet hose yesterday. No clogs in filters or lines. Thank you for the reply. I think the impeller housing is backwards which I plan to correct in 3 hours.

One thing that might cause this is if you wired the pump backwards and reversed the polarity, cause the pump to run in reverse. Hoewever I think I see the problem.

There really three parts to the pump.

1) The Electric motor
2) The intake impellor (pulls water in)
3) The 'discharge' impellor (Pumps water out)

Look at the picture originally posted and then look at the schematic.

In the picture the ports for the hoses are on the bottom of the pump housing. In the schematic, they are on the top.

I suspect the pump is in upside down, however the electgric motor is itself is installed correctly. This would reverse the direction of flow in the two hose and blow air out the through hull intaake, rather than drawing water from it.

It looks like we might have been typing at the same time. Yes, I think you see it now.

One thing that might cause this is if you wired the pump backwards and reversed the polarity, cause the pump to run in reverse. Hoewever I think I see the problem.

There really three parts to the pump.

1) The Electric motor
2) The intake impellor (pulls water in)
3) The 'discharge' impellor (Pumps water out)

Look at the picture originally posted and then look at the schematic.

In the picture the ports for the hoses are on the bottom of the pump housing. In the schematic, they are on the top.

I suspect the pump is in upside down, however the electgric motor is itself is installed correctly. This would reverse the direction of flow in the two hose and blow air out the through hull intaake, rather than drawing water from it.

Someone pointed this out to me in an earlier post. I think that's the problem. If that's the case, I'm calling Jabsco. Not to yell at them, but at least to tell them it would be nice to either change the design slightly to prevent this from happening, or at least put a NOTE in the instructions. I'm sure they will choose option B since it won't cost them much. Thank you.

Someone pointed this out to me in an earlier post. I think that's the problem. If that's the case, I'm calling Jabsco. Not to yell at them, but at least to tell them it would be nice to either change the design slightly to prevent this from happening, or at least put a NOTE in the instructions. I'm sure they will choose option B since it won't cost them much. Thank you.

On the original pump there is a sticker showing in/out direction, in your case maybe the sticker was not there.

37041-0010_3.JPG

L

Last edited:
I better not see that sticker when I flip the pump around. I'll definitely feel like a tool.

Back
Top Bottom