Switching from sail to steam need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wayward13

Veteran Member
Hello all, I have had several sailboats lived aboard and did some cruising we sold the boat 4 yrs. ago,and now once again:dance::dance: looking to go cruising again at 55 yrs old ,I am wondering if any folks who switched from sail to steam had regrets, were they forced into due to health,? are they happy they made the switch any insight appreciated.

I think you will find everyone on here are all very happy with the switch to steam.

In comparing a sailing vessel to a motor vessel; there is only one downside to a motor vessel, the increased fuel bill. The upsides are endless.

A semi-displacement hull is very different from a full displacement hull in high seas. But it's a much more spacious, pleasant living space

There is nothing better than purring along at 7 or 8 knots knowing you could go two or even three times as fast if needed AND be going directly towards your destination all the time. At least it is as long as you have someplace to go: for just fooling around on the water within sight of your home port a small daysailer is hard to beat.

I think that many, maybe most trawler owners are former sailboat owners. There are lots of reasons to switch: Mama, less work, mama, old age, mama, desire to get there quicker, mama.

In general sailing is about the journey and the destination is secondary. Trawlering is probably the opposite.

David

We made the switch two years ago. We went from a 40' Catalina to a 43' North Pacific. Our situation in the PNW is different the East coast. In our area, we found we were actually sailing only 25% of the time or less. The rest of the time we were using it as a very efficient powerboat.

The trawler is warmer, drier, more comfortable, more space, more amenities, better views from inside, and much more expensive. I miss sailing but would never go back.

What kind of cruising do you want to do? If you want to cross oceans, the sailboat would be more economical and make more sense than most power boats. If you want to coastal cruise or hang out in marinas or on the ICW, the power boat probably makes more sense.

Most, if not all, of the sail boat owers I know, including my three brothers, are power boaters.

I'm still sitting on the fence.

There are a few downsides to power boating. Generally, power boats don't handle rough water as well. You will miss the stability that sails give you. And then there is the noise.

Power boats are often faster if you are trying to get somewhere in a hurry.
They are almost always more comfortable (wider, more windows, designed for entertaining as much as boating)

It all depends what you want to do.

A semi-displacement hull is very different from a full displacement hull in high seas. But it's a much more spacious, pleasant living space
We have a full displacement hull so I'll have to disagree.

In comparing a sailing vessel to a motor vessel; there is only one downside to a motor vessel, the increased fuel bill. The upsides are endless.
True, but consider the compensatory savings of not having a sailboat. No sails to buy,repair and maintain. No rigging to maintain and regularly overhaul to avoid risks of failure.No mast to remove overhaul and reinstall. Surely there are other savings.

I am not a sailor vs power boat type. I do both. For now I have more money than time and power boats in my price bracket are more livable. Where i live is great for sailboat racing but rarely is the wind cooperative for cruising, not to mention the severe tidal currents. If I ever end up with more time than money I might switch back to blow boats.

I sailed when I was younger. I miss the quiet. But injuries and arthritis makes handling small lines too difficult and handling small lines makes the arthritis worse.
But I'm 70 now and don't see and end to my cruising or living aboard yet.

True, but consider the compensatory savings of not having a sailboat. No sails to buy,repair and maintain. No rigging to maintain and regularly overhaul to avoid risks of failure.No mast to remove overhaul and reinstall. Surely there are other savings.

But you have to pay for maintenance and overhaul on the powerplant, drive train, and associated equipment "to avoid risks of failure". If you have more than one powerplant the spending amount multiplies. I have never owned a sailboat, but I bet in the long run the cost difference isn't that much, particularly if you figure in the fuel bill.

But you have to pay for maintenance and overhaul on the powerplant, drive train, and associated equipment "to avoid risks of failure". If you have more than one powerplant the spending amount multiplies. I have never owned a sailboat, but I bet in the long run the cost difference isn't that much, particularly if you figure in the fuel bill.

You have to do that in a sailing boat as well and a sailing catamaran x 2.

A decent sized sailing boat that is suitable for comfortable live aboard and can actually sail can easily have $100,000 worth of mast, sail, wire and deck fittings and believe me, the loads are horrific and maintenance is crucial.

You have to do that in a sailing boat as well and a sailing catamaran x 2.

A decent sized sailing boat that is suitable for comfortable live aboard and can actually sail can easily have $100,000 worth of mast, sail, wire and deck fittings and believe me, the loads are horrific and maintenance is crucial.

That also applies to some large power boats as well.
$100,000 worth of engine(s) with horrific loads and crucial maintenance.

My modest sail setup has cost me $2800 to replace and upgrade all the standing and running rigging (after 30 years). This included labour.
I may replace the original sails soon for another 4-5k.
Total sail maintenance would average out to a bit over $200 a year over 35 years. Fairly good value IMO.

That also applies to some large power boats as well.
$100,000 worth of engine(s) with horrific loads and crucial maintenance.

My modest sail setup has cost me $2800 to replace and upgrade all the standing and running rigging (after 30 years). This included labour.
I may replace the original sails soon for another 4-5k.
Total sail maintenance would average out to a bit over $200 a year over 35 years. Fairly good value IMO.

And a sabot dinghy rig probably costs $500 to replace but that's not exactly a liveabard performance boat either, so not a fair comparison.

We should at least compare like for like.
For most a comfortable full time live aboard trawler will be at least 50 ft and the same liveability in a sailing boat will be 60 ft or more, especially if performance orientated.
Rig on a performance yacht (one that can maintain 6 knots in 12 of wind and do teens in 20) will cost considerably more than a replacement engine in ours not that it should ever need one in our lifetime.
Just a new set of working sails on the above sailing vessel will probably cost more than a replacement engine.

Last edited:
And a sabot dinghy rig probably costs $500 to replace but that's not exactly a liveabard performance boat either, so not a fair comparison.

We should at least compare like for like.
For most a comfortable full time live aboard trawler will be at least 50 ft and the same liveability in a sailing boat will be 60 ft or more, especially if performance orientated.
Rig on a performance yacht (one that can maintain 6 knots in 12 of wind and do teens in 20) will cost considerably more than a replacement engine in ours not that it should ever need one in our lifetime.
Just a new set of working sails on the above sailing vessel will probably cost more than a replacement engine.

The costs of maintaining the standing rigging on a typical cruising sailboat are so much less than what you seem to imagine. Granted, you won't be racing it and your sails may not look pretty, but on the whole, sailboats are just HUGELY less expensive than a trawler.

I get the argument that you should be comparing boats with similar amenities. However, sailboats will simply not have the same amenities as a power boat in most cases. Sure if you want two heads, stand up showers (oh wait, my last sailboat had that...) well genset, ice machine, TV, recliners in the salon etc... then you have to get up into the huge sailboats, but for the 35-50' sailboats that most folks are likely to have, the maintenance is actually pretty minimal.

And again, those who hated the change and quickly dumped the power boat are not going to be found here.

Wifey B: Our sailing desires are met by day chartering 3 to 4 times a year in great sailing areas with professional sailors doing all the work. San Francisco, Cancun, Annapolis, the Eastern Caribbean and occasionally even close to home. In fact, thinking perhaps New England this summer or the Chesapeake on our way back. The pleasure with none of the effort. :D

I get the argument that you should be comparing boats with similar amenities. However, sailboats will simply not have the same amenities as a power boat in most cases. Sure if you want two heads, stand up showers (oh wait, my last sailboat had that...) well genset, ice machine, TV, recliners in the salon etc... then you have to get up into the huge sailboats, but for the 35-50' sailboats that most folks are likely to have, the maintenance is actually pretty minimal.

Sooo, you're saying if you want to live like your camping, it's cheaper.
I see that.

When I compared rough costs of my Dutch friend's 42' Malo to the KK42, overall costs were not significantly different.
Most cruising costs are the same for both boats. Even our cruising speeds are similar, through running downwind, they are significantly faster by 150%.

My ocean crossing costs gor fuel were $4,000 and $2500 over the last 4 years.

So, if you have a boat that consumes 3 to 5 gal per hour, your ocean crossing cost is considerable.

Conversely, if you sail and never motor, your costs would be somewhat less. But then, no one would know, since you haven't arrived yet.

The costs of maintaining the standing rigging on a typical cruising sailboat are so much less than what you seem to imagine.
I know that smaller tired sailboats are cheap but i did make it pretty clear that a typical cruising sailboat was of little interest to me.
Comparable comfort level and comparable performance.
King size beds, endless cold beer and a 7 knot average speed.

Granted, you won't be racing it and your sails may not look pretty, but on the whole, sailboats are just HUGELY less expensive than a trawler.
And because its all flogged out and small it won't be comfortable and it won't sail very well if at all in light air.
Time to start the motor.........if it works.

I get the argument that you should be comparing boats with similar amenities. However, sailboats will simply not have the same amenities as a power boat in most cases. Sure if you want two heads, stand up showers (oh wait, my last sailboat had that...) well genset, ice machine, TV, recliners in the salon etc... then you have to get up into the huge sailboats,
which is the point I made.

but for the 35-50' sailboats that most folks are likely to have, the maintenance is actually pretty minimal.
And the comfort level and sailing performance is also pretty minimal which is why many tend to motor a lot and live on deck a lot which in our climate means liking scalpels and scars.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer sail over power but I have owned slow boats and was ok with it until I knew better.
I have also owned, raced and cruised fast boats and know what they cost to keep together.
To get that AND comfort is cost prohibitive plus I reckon I'd always be chasing crew to help sail it.

Power boats have more volume per foot of LOA , and seem to quickly get loaded with the full collection of dirt house items.

So the big difference seems to be what maint consists of.

Do you prefer to grease a halyard winch , or repair the washing machine ?

Back
Top Bottom