May be repositioning to west coast of Fl.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Surprised that you want floating docks with that aft cabin boat. Fewer of them in the area after several were damaged in storms.

WE lived in the SF area and were surprised to hear the Tampa bay area referred to as both the west coast and bay area same as CA.

Donna, congratulations on the possible move. Have just what you want, unfortunately too far away in Fort Myers. I spent this winter in Gulf Harbor yacht and Country Club. It was a last choice and far better than I expected. Wished I done it years ago. When you check the areas near you, don't overlook these places as they can be very secure and welcoming.

Ted

Bought my boat at lands end a few years ago, nice marina with gates
at each dock and a good restaurant. But not floating docks.
Milt

I’m going to check out Apollo beach for sure. I prefer floating docks. If it’s meant to be it will be.

I am not a live aboard. I would be repositioning so I could use it during the week as I am not fond of a 2 1/2 hour commute.

I hate to move her from her secure dock here on the east coast during hurricane season. Maybe the best thing to do is move her in November to the gulf coast and back in June to the east coast. That would only be 5 months in a hotel a few days a week. Sigh.....

Dona that was extremely misleading.
West coast is SanFrancisco ect.
West coast of Fl is the west side of Florida.

Love your opportunity though.

No that's the "Left Coast"

Last edited:
I've lived in the area almost all my life. From Lakeland, you are about an hour away from St. Petersburg and a little longer (20 minutes or so more) to Tarpon Springs, Dunedin, or Clearwater. I am presently at Loggerhead St. Petersburg and am very pleased. It was nice and protected during Hurricane Irma. My other favorite marinas in the Pinellas County area are Home Port (Dunedin) and Port Tarpon (Tarpon Springs). Both give you quick access to St. Joseph's Sound to include Anclote Island, Caladesi Island, and Three Rooker Bar. I am not a fan of crusing North of Anclote Island and most of my boating takes place from Tarpon Springs to Egmont Key or north Sarasota.

I'm sure others who live in the area will provide their recommendations!

Vashton gives you some great ideas and locations for Cruising!!! I know I grew up in the area ( well at least got taller)

Vashton I am not familiar with the actual marinas what is security like for a lady at these marinas?

I too will admit when he said "repositioning", my mind immediately saw two imagination 2 things, overland or a trip of a life time via the water.
I guess it is best to finish reading the sentence.

I too will admit when he said "repositioning", my mind immediately saw two imagination 2 things, overland or a trip of a life time via the water.
I guess it is best to finish reading the sentence.

OD

Maybe I'm referring to incorrect post... but... don't you mean she!!?? :popcorn:

Honest officer, I never met the lady.
4am, no pictures, glass of wine, what do you expect from me. SHRUG
I can see, I am not going to do well on the test, again.

Okay, I went and looked up her bio.
Oh yea!!!
She is a lady!!!
I can see I did not do well on the test, again.

Last edited:
+! on Riviera Dunes Marina in Palmetto for all the reasons listed above. Floating docks, security, great restaurant, two floating pools and the best hurricane hole on west coast of Florida. Five minutes from I-75

We kept our boat there in the hurricane years of 2004 and 2005 and recently took it there from Punta Gorda for Irma.

In terms of employees and amenities I would compare it to The Marina at Ortega Landing in JAX.

Some of the slips are owned by individuals and if you can find one of those you will save some money on local taxes.

LOL Saving money on taxes???? The taxes on my 75 foot slip are greater than the taxes on my rundown 3 bedroom apartment north of Atlanta

BUT my condo is bigger than my slip

LOL Saving money on taxes???? The taxes on my 75 foot slip are greater than the taxes on my rundown 3 bedroom apartment north of Atlanta

Dan; just curious, why do you have a 75-ft slip...?

Dan; just curious, why do you have a 75-ft slip...?

long story..... At the time I had a N46. I wanted to buy a slip. This slip was close to a couple of her friends. Bad decision on my part. The wife left.....
The values of the slip, over the past 10 or 15 years, has increased from $81K to about $275K. Good decision. I should have bought 2 slips instead of getting married. When I sell the slip, it will pay for a 55ft slip closer to the gate and the divorce. LOL

"Secure. The marina I am at now is gated to vehicles with maned security and patrols."

More of an East coast requirement , different folks are on the Wast side.

There is a trade off to be made between car commute times and boat commute times. It is much faster to drive a half hour further than boat the same distance. Tampa bay is a big place. Probably 12 miles across from Apollo beach to St. Pete. I suggest considering driving a bit further to be where you want is preferable to boating the same distance id all you are doing is moving to a short stay location.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom